X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Paint Store Diaries: Michigan Tech Offseason Part III

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    $54.

That's just under 3 non-student tickets to a Gophers game. A, as in one, game.

Just saying.
    Yep, but we usually get what we pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
      It's just over one ticket to the Sioux-Gopher game this year.
      Also true. And it might be just under one ticket this year.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

$54.

That's just under 3 non-student tickets to a Gophers game. A, as in one, game.

Just saying.
        It's just over one ticket to the Sioux-Gopher game this year.
        Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        Upper-level non-student for a Sioux game...and that doesn't include the Fighting Sioux Club donation.
        Yes and in the last 30 years you almost always have had winning seasons, NCAA appearances, and sometimes championships. I bet they paid twice as much for Tech hockey tickets back in the 70's, even without considering inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
          Yes and in the last 30 years you almost always have had winning seasons, NCAA appearances, and sometimes championships. I bet they paid twice as much for Tech hockey tickets back in the 70's, even without considering inflation.
          That's still some serious disparity. And you guys upgraded your arena (although, yeah, donations helped) and are looking to upgrade again.

I mean, somewhere along the lines of a 16:1 ratio? That's almost as bad as the male/female ratio in Houghton.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
            Considering inflation, I would say they paid about as much. $50 today would be equal to a little over $12 in 1975, so it was a fair amount of, as a Yooper would call it, "cash money". Especially considering the economic climate at that time, not just in the Keweenaw, but nationally as well.

I may be wrong though, maybe one of the old timers could fill in the specifics?
            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Maybe I've been urbanized enough or whatever, but when Tech/Gopher weekend comes, I think: $12/game? That's it? F* yeah. It's incredibly cheap all around, period, and this is a D1 (well, in name ) school.

Comment

Tickets were $6 the first time I went to Houghton. That was only five years ago I think. So pretty soon Tech will be a ripoff too!
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I think the whole reason the student season tickets dropped was because you're basically paying $54 to have an assigned seat because you can still get the free ticket right?
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Tickets were $6 the first time I went to Houghton. That was only five years ago I think. So pretty soon Tech will be a ripoff too!
                    Six? That's cheaper than a Chipotle burrito! That's insane.

Comment

I really doubt Tech could ever sustain $50 tickets. There is virtually no one in the community (except maybe the huskyfans ) who would fork over a Ulysses to watch Tech play one game, even if they never lost a game all season. The community does not have that kind of money.

Now, I think you'd see tickets more in the $20 range if the team was talented, and made the playoffs regularly. That would be sustainable. $50? No way.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I really doubt Tech could ever sustain $50 tickets. There is virtually no one in the community (except maybe the huskyfans ) who would fork over a Ulysses to watch Tech play one game, even if they never lost a game all season. The community does not have that kind of money.

Now, I think you'd see tickets more in the $20 range if the team was talented, and made the playoffs regularly. That would be sustainable. $50? No way.
                        When Tech was good, what was the population (student and/or general)? No offense, but it was a long time ago, and with the economics there and everything, I'd venture to guess that population has dwindled a little.

Even with a successful team, would that be enough to pretty much sell out all the games and therefore justify a cost increase of tickets to $20~?

Comment

When Tech was good, what was the population (student and/or general)? No offense, but it was a long time ago, and with the economics there and everything, I'd venture to guess that population has dwindled a little.

Even with a successful team, would that be enough to pretty much sell out all the games and therefore justify a cost increase of tickets to $20~?
                          Well, if we're going to be somewhat historically correct, the local economy has been on the ropes and citizens have been fleeing to find work for about 70 years. By the time Tech hit the glory years starting in the early 60s, the mining industry had been pretty cooked for the better part of two decades. Things already weren't very rosy.

It would have to be explored. It depends on how much of an increase the community is willing to tolerate, and how much the university thinks they stand to lose to scalpers (which you know would happen to an extent, even though it's illegal).

It's a moot point though. We suck.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Well, if we're going to be somewhat historically correct, the local economy has been on the ropes and citizens have been fleeing to find work for about 70 years. By the time Tech hit the glory years starting in the early 60s, the mining industry had been pretty cooked for the better part of two decades. Things already weren't very rosy.
                            Pretty much - the economy in Houghton has essentially already transitioned to primarily being supported by the University (tuition, research grants, etc.), with a strong secondary source of income in tourism. Our population has probably dwindled to about what it will be, unless some big industry relocates into the Keweenaw.

Changing the subject, PB and ctf? Whuh?
                            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Changing the subject - I guess Sertich was bored with retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                I think the whole reason the student season tickets dropped was because you're basically paying $54 to have an assigned seat because you can still get the free ticket right?
                                Yes the Tech Experience fee pays for your ticket but this makes it a little more reasonable for those who want to have the same seat every week, not have to go up to the ticket office between tuesday and thursday every week, and support the team by paying for them. I'd like to see it drop to $40 though. Maybe next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X