Federal Judge Says Cheerleading Not a Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Judge Says Cheerleading Not a Sport

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that cheerleading doesn't qualify as a varsity sport, calling the activity underdeveloped and disorganized.

U.S. District Judge Stefan Underhill said Quinnipiac University in Hamden violated Title IX by dropping its women's volleyball team in favor of a competitive cheer team.
    http://www.rep-am.com/news/local/496492.txt

Re: Federal Judge Says Cheerleading Not a Sport

I disagree. Cheerleading is a sport. Sometimes it's a co-ed sport.

Comment

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
      I disagree. Cheerleading is a sport. Sometimes it's a co-ed sport.
      I disagree. It is an evil activity, filled with ruthless parents who keep their little girls from playing hockey because they have 3 hours of daily cheer practice from the first of August until December. All so they can go to Disney World and win yet another National Championship. (at least here in Burlington)

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        I disagree. It is an evil activity, filled with ruthless parents who keep their little girls from playing hockey because they have 3 hours of daily cheer practice from the first of August until December. All so they can go to Disney World and win yet another National Championship. (at least here in Burlington)
        LOL. My morning smile. Thanks.

It is unfortunate that the same term "cheerleading" has many very different forms. At it's best at one end of the spectrum, having seen a co-ed variety that is not associated with rooting for a real sports team but rather is an event in itself, would perhaps be better termed group gymnastics and acrobatics. I could define that as a sport. It takes skill, athleticism and much practice to do well. The insipid pom-pom type girlie squads whose main role is to look attractive while rooting for some burly boys team is an anachronism of a bygone era locked in a time warp. Not a sport....except for those who might consider skirt-chasing, sport.

Comment

U.S. District Judge Stefan Underhill said Quinnipiac University in Hamden violated Title IX by dropping its women's volleyball team in favor of a competitive cheer team.
          Let's just say that if they do reinstate the volleyball team, I can't imagine them welcoming the cheerleaders to their games...

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
            The insipid pom-pom type girlie squads whose main role is to look attractive while rooting for some burly boys team is an anachronism of a bygone era locked in a time warp. Not a sport....except for those who might consider skirt-chasing, sport.
            Ah...well, ah, actually at the professional "dance and cheer" level there is certainly nothing wrong with waving pom poms and ah, other things. Quite sporting in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by futurestar View Post
              Heard a radio program this morning debating this subject. A college cheerleading coach called in and admitted it wasn't a sport. He called it entertainment but also reminded everyone of the physical demands. Lots of blown out knees and broken bones. It would be the same as calling "Cirque du Soleil" a sports team.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                It is unfortunate that the same term "cheerleading" has many very different forms. At it's best at one end of the spectrum, having seen a co-ed variety that is not associated with rooting for a real sports team but rather is an event in itself, would perhaps be better termed group gymnastics and acrobatics. I could define that as a sport. It takes skill, athleticism and much practice to do well. The insipid pom-pom type girlie squads whose main role is to look attractive while rooting for some burly boys team is an anachronism of a bygone era locked in a time warp. Not a sport....except for those who might consider skirt-chasing, sport.
                This is by far the best opinion I've read on this topic anywhere in the history of forever.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
                  Let's just say that if they do reinstate the volleyball team, I can't imagine them welcoming the cheerleaders to their games...
                  Heard a radio story this morning indicating that given the ruling, Q will offer Women's Rugby as a solution to the situation. No mention of whether or not the cheerleading squad will attend any matches...

Comment

Heard a radio story this morning indicating that given the ruling, Q will offer Women's Rugby as a solution to the situation. No mention of whether or not the cheerleading squad will attend any matches...
                    Maybe they can try out for the rugby team.

Comment

The only college that I knew of that played rugby was Norwich. A quick check on their web page shows that they play in a league including BC, UNH, Maine, VT a handful of NESCACs, IVYs and D IIs. I was frankly surprised that women's rugby was that popular a sport.

http://www.norwichathletics.com/sports/wrugby/index

I find it hard to believe that offering rugby will bring women to Quinnapiac. Maybe they quould take a poll?
                      Last edited by futurestar; 07-24-2010, 08:13 AM.

Comment

What's next? Pro wrestling is fake?

Comment

The only college that I knew of that played rugby was Norwich. A quick check on there web page shows that they play in a league including BC, UNH, Maine, VT a handful of NESCACs, IVYs and D IIs. I was frankly surprised that women's rugby was that popular a sport.

http://www.norwichathletics.com/sports/wrugby/index

I find it hard to believe that offering rugby will bring women to Quinnapiac. Maybe they quould take a poll?
                          Rugby is a common womens sport up here in Canada, amongst college students.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that offering rugby will bring women to Quinnapiac.
                            I don't think bringing women to Quinnipiac is the goal.

Can we all whisper "Title IX"?
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Yesss.....finally...somebody with the cajones to say something is NOT a sport!!! Cheerleading is something that the kids who couldn't make the teams they were "cheering" for did so they could get time out of class. If you wanted to play a sport, try out for gymnastics...Cheerleading is NOT a sport.

Seems that any time somebody feels there's some physical activity...it's deemed a "sport"...now if they would look at Rythmic Gymnastics...and some of some of the other moronic X games activities they've included into the Olympics as new "Sports"!!

A good start!!

Comment

Working...
                              X