Preseason Poll: 2010-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason Poll: 2010-2011

Now that we're inching our way to August, any thoughts on a top 16 for 2010-2011 ? Some teams are returning most of their players while some have lost some players to the pros and graduation.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Re: Preseason Poll: 2010-2011

I think that Bentley will be in the mix this year.

Comment

North Dakota, Michigan , Miami and BC have gotta be the top four in any order, IMO. the order listed here is fine by me. I never want to be preseason #1 from HE i think Maine is there and BU probably too as well as UVM. There, that's seven then fill in with..............

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        I think that Bentley will be in the mix this year.
        Going down the tubes!1!1!!
        Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
        1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
        2006-2007: 15-24-2
        2007-2008: 20-20-4
        2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
          Now that we're inching our way to August, any thoughts on a top 16 for 2010-2011 ? Some teams are returning most of their players while some have lost some players to the pros and graduation.
          I think its too early for a top 16. I think its hard enough doing a top 5. If I was picking the top five:

1.) Boston College
          2.) North Dakota
          3.) Miami of Ohio
          4.) Michigan
          5.) St. Cloud

Beyond that, who knows.

Comment

I haven't followed the national scene this off-season, but in the WCHA I think UND is going to be hard to beat - I'd expect them to be in the top 5 somewhere. UMD and SCSU should also both have very strong teams, and I'd expect both to be somewhere in the top 10. CC and DU both have question marks but enough returning players that I think they'll be somewhere in the 10-20 range. I don't know enough about Bemidji and UNO to make a well supported guess, but I do think both have a good shot at finishing in the top half of the league, which should mean that they'll either be in the rankings or at least getting votes.
            I think UMD won the lottery with their cluster (UW, MTU, MN) and will do very well in the league standings. That won't impact the pre-season standings, but I do think it will help them remain high in the rankings as the year progresses. The UND/SCSU/UNO/BSU cluster looks really tough. Welcome to the WCHA, UNO and BSU!

Comment

I agree with that Top 4 (BC-ND-Miami-Michigan). I think Maine will sneak into the top 10 this year, and I think Notre Dame is poised to be at least an NCAA tournament team again... they underachieved badly last year.

I suspect that just like last year, western teams will dominate the top 10-12 spots as Hockey East won't have much depth. But I also believe that BC will prove to be the best team yet again, as they return so many vital pieces of last year's team; the big question is whether or not they can replace the senior leadership of the captains who graduated.
              BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
              -
              Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

1. Boston College
                2. North Dakota
                3. St. Cloud
                4. Miami
                5. Maine
                6. Michigan
                7. New Hampshire
                8. Denver
                9. Yale
                10. Duluth
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                  and I think Notre Dame is poised to be at least an NCAA tournament team again... they underachieved badly last year.
                  Maybe... if they can stay out of jail.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I think I know the teams I'd put in the top 16. Just not sure about the order. Going by league (teams within leagues aren't ranked, they're alphabetical):

HE
                    BC
                    BU
                    Maine
                    UNH

ECAC
                    RPI
                    Yale

CCHA
                    Alaska
                    Miami
                    Michigan
                    MSU

WCHA
                    Denver
                    Minnesota
                    UMD
                    UND
                    St. Cloud
                    Wisconsin
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                      I think I know the teams I'd put in the top 16. Just not sure about the order. Going by league (teams within leagues aren't ranked, they're alphabetical):

WCHA
                      Denver
                      Minnesota
                      UMD
                      UND
                      St. Cloud
                      Wisconsin

Holy cow - you missed the WCHA by a mile, IMHO. Minnesota may end up there at the end, but based on their results last year I think it's a stretch to put them in the top 16 in the pre-season. And have you seen how many losses UW has had this off-season? They only return one of their top 8 scorers, and only 4 of their top 14. They lost 122 of their 163 goals from last year. They also lost 8 of their regular forwards and 3 of their top 6 defensemen. They have a lot of talent coming in, but holy crap they lost almost their whole team!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post

Holy cow - you missed the WCHA by a mile, IMHO. Minnesota may end up there at the end, but based on their results last year I think it's a stretch to put them in the top 16 in the pre-season. And have you seen how many losses UW has had this off-season? They only return one of their top 8 scorers, and only 4 of their top 14. They lost 122 of their 163 goals from last year. They also lost 8 of their regular forwards and 3 of their top 6 defensemen. They have a lot of talent coming in, but holy crap they lost almost their whole team!
                        Yeah, I could take out Wisconsin and put Notre Dame in there. I do think Minnesota will be there, though.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

After BC does it matter? They are by far the best team once again.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            After BC does it matter? They are by far the best team once again.
                            oh chit yaughn
                            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post

ummm. just goes to show how bad #17 is
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X