Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preseason Poll: 2010-2011

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    Ah, a fair-weather fan! Didn't know there many of you who posted on these boards.

Some of you people have no idea how good you have it.

Powers &8^]
    mookie isn't fair-weathered. Those are the expectations all BU fans have. Sure, every now and then there will be a season when BU has a young or inexperienced team or lost a lot of veterans and fans will say, "This is a building year. An NCAA tourney appearance would be a good building block for future seasons." But for the most part, the expectation is for BU to compete for a national title year in and year out. There's a reason a lot of fans wanted Parker gone when BU went 11 years without a Frozen Four appearance. That's unacceptable by BU standards, and not just for fans. Parker and anyone else associated with the program will tell you the same thing.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
      I wouldn't be so high on UNH. Top 16 maybe, but not top 10. They lost two of their best scorers in Butler and LeBlanc plus their No. 1 and only relevant goalie. In addition, their freshman class isn't expected to be anything special (at least compared to what they usually bring in). BU, BC and UVM all look to have considerably better incoming classes in HE.
      Fair point. Class isn't as strong because of the recruiting violations they had a little while back. They were unable to recruit anyone that they had inproper contact with and I believe it was a large number of guys that fell under that. If I am wrong with any of that please correct me.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
        Fair point. Class isn't as strong because of the recruiting violations they had a little while back. They were unable to recruit anyone that they had inproper contact with and I believe it was a large number of guys that fell under that. If I am wrong with any of that please correct me.
        I hadn't even thought of that. I'm not sure exactly how much of an impact those violations had, but I'm sure they made a dent.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

That's mostly correct. The 30 kids that were contacted illegally are not allowed to sign LOI's with UNH, but they can still attend. They would also have to pay their own way for visits to UNH. However, the kids that were sent the illegal emails were 93 and 94 birth years, so they would not have entered UNH this fall anyway. Four of the six incoming recruits committed before the probation began. While the probation period will expire in April of 2011, the effects will be felt for years to come.
          Hope that clears things up.
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
            Except I might poop my pants in shock if Minnesota finishes 6th or higher.
            Minnesota is the Wild card.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
              However, the kids that were sent the illegal emails were 93 and 94 birth years, so they would not have entered UNH this fall anyway.
              Yeah, but as you pointed out, it'll affect a lot, namely the surrounding classes. If you're looking at schools, perhaps you stay away because they don't have as many good players that will be two years behind you, or two years ahead of you.
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Ok Euro, stop stuttering we get your point! The poles don't matter anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                  I hadn't even thought of that. I'm not sure exactly how much of an impact those violations had, but I'm sure they made a dent.
                  For sure, they had to take reaches on some kids as well that other top programs wanted nothing to do with.

That's mostly correct. The 30 kids that were contacted illegally are not allowed to sign LOI's with UNH, but they can still attend. They would also have to pay their own way for visits to UNH. However, the kids that were sent the illegal emails were 93 and 94 birth years, so they would not have entered UNH this fall anyway. Four of the six incoming recruits committed before the probation began. While the probation period will expire in April of 2011, the effects will be felt for years to come.
                  Hope that clears things up.
                  Thanks! I knew it happened and some perameters but didn't know enough about it to make concrete statements on it. However I thought the pool of players was larger than 30 kids and it affected guys who had commited or were going to. When did this actually take place? last summer correct?

Regardless you and Euro are right it will have an impact for a couple years. As well even if some of the kids affected weren't scheduled to attend this year, Euro is on to something that it could hinder other players decisions knowing what the future holds.

Again thanks for clarifying everything, I think we are all in agreement that it had some sort of impact this season.
                  Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Thanks! I knew it happened and some perameters but didn't know enough about it to make concrete statements on it. However I thought the pool of players was larger than 30 kids and it affected guys who had commited or were going to. When did this actually take place? last summer correct?
                    It was 923 emails to 30 kids (30 emails per player seems a bit overkill to me). UNH self-reported the error in April of '09, so they must have been sending the emails for a significant period of time.
                    P.S.- Can't wait to visit Goggin in October! Is it too early to make a series thread?
                    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

It was 923 emails to 30 kids (30 emails per player seems a bit overkill to me). UNH self-reported the error in April of '09, so they must have been sending the emails for a significant period of time.
                      P.S.- Can't wait to visit Goggin in October! Is it too early to make a series thread?
                      Ah gotcha, I knew there was an astronomical number involved. So if it was reported over a year ago, it had to affect some recruits this year. I think it is safe to say it had affected them this year. Tough break they looked to be creeping up to a national power again after those two down years.

Ever been to oxford before? You will love it, great arena and town. Should be a great series as it was last year. If you want any tips on places to go let me know and I will be glad to give you some. If you haven't got your tickets yet I wouldn't wait too much longer, they go quick.

Comment

Ever been to oxford before? You will love it, great arena and town. Should be a great series as it was last year. If you want any tips on places to go let me know and I will be glad to give you some. If you haven't got your tickets yet I wouldn't wait too much longer, they go quick.
                        Will be my first time in Oxford. I graduated UNH in May and am back in Minnesota, so I'll most likely make the drive down with my dad. I'm able to get tickets through UNH, so that won't be a problem. Will be looking for fun things to do and places to eat/drink, so suggestions are always appreciated. Looking forward to some excellent hockey!

Comment

Will be my first time in Oxford. I graduated UNH in May and am back in Minnesota, so I'll most likely make the drive down with my dad. I'm able to get tickets through UNH, so that won't be a problem. Will be looking for fun things to do and places to eat/drink, so suggestions are always appreciated. Looking forward to some excellent hockey!
                          Gotcha, You will be in the south corner where UNH shoots twice. Great seats. It will be loud, student section gets into things. Hope you can take a little abuse and not have virgin ears lol.

Brick street grill is a fun place to go before or after the game. Buffalo Wild Wings is always a solid place for a pre game beer and wings. 45 east is also a solid place to hang after a game. All 3 are up town. And with it being october and still relatively warm you will have plenty, and I mean plenty, of eye candy. lol

Comment

...TOP 5 {1.} North Dakota {2.} Miami/Ohio {3.} Boston College {4.} Minn./Duluth {5.} --- "IF" Maine gets any type of solid goaltending they will be the wild-card team in the top 16 this coming season.

Comment

...{5.} St Cloud State

Comment

And with it being october and still relatively warm you will have plenty, and I mean plenty, of eye candy. lol
                                Does the eye candy ever go away in Oxford?

Comment

Working...
                                X