Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread IV -- It's Looking Like No "I-V" Is Necessary!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread IV -- It's Looking Like No "I-V" Is Necessary!

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
    The old thread closed before I got around to commenting on the possibility of Polacek hitting the 30 goal mark and his slight tailing off toward the end of the year.
    I feel that the keys to him continuing to score at a torid pace all year hinges heavily on the formation of a legit second scoring line and the creation of a top PK unit that he and JD aren`t on. I felt that by the last few weeks of the year both of those guys were just spent. I like the job SA is doing but feel he wore these guys out. I wish he would take a page out of addesa`s book and have more specific roles for various lines. I think the personnel is in place to make this possible.

On a different subject I saw in the sports section of the clifton Park community news that there is an incline skating treadmill at the Athletic republic in Clifton Park. They are not easy to find. Former BU and clifton park resident Peter Mcarthur is quoted alot and it is mentioned that Cornell has one. Hope Sa can get the guys on that as it is reported to be an awesome skating workout.
    Not too long ago, they had a video of the Union players using the skating treadmill; take a look in their thread, should any of you be unfamiliar with the concept.

Comment

Union uses the incline in CP...-it is indeed quite the workout. I would note that even if rpi doesn't have one, there are plenty of hills in Troy that are steeper
      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 07-11-2010, 09:03 PM.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Today is 12 July 2010. There are 88 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of next season.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          The DU Countdown begins today. Since both our seasons begin on 10/08/10 I am following your lead.

Go RPI!
          Go DU!
          FWIW, I traditionally have counted exhibition games. Currently, RPI doesn't have one on the schedule. If one is added, and reportedly SA is trying to schedule one, the number will be modified accordingly.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
            Some quotes on HFboards about Foss in Preds camp from fans that were in attendance:
            Foss goes to RPI which has a tendency to put out players who are good defensively.
            This struck me originally as wrong since historically RPI has been more known for offensive-minded players. I guess, however, that the skaters who have played the most in the NHL (Oates, Juneau, McPhee) have been good defensively.

I do think that Foss, like Pothier before him, has a good chance to make the NHL, despite not being dominant in college. Foss was relatively young when he entered RPI, but IMHO he has been steadily improving.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              Have to agree for the most part FD. Foss has shown glimpses, but nothing like what was written here. I am routinely beeyatching in the stands about Foss getting outhit by a guy he outweighs and towers over...here's hoping he has finally grown confident in his large frame
              Agree w/ WS. Have observed that Jeff can play small and soft sometimes but I also agree with Dr. Baer that he has made improvement. I think he improved greatly in the second half of last season and JF was one of the guys to have a good series against Brown in PO, IMO. Also, maybe he has more confidence after this conditioning program that SA put in place. I noticed on the Maple Leafs interview video w/ JDA that he got thicker. Hopefully this happened for JF too and he is feeling his oats... I mean Oates.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Have to agree for the most part FD. Foss has shown glimpses, but nothing like what was written here. I am routinely beeyatching in the stands about Foss getting outhit by a guy he outweighs and towers over...here's hoping he has finally grown confident in his large frame
                Ya, Foss has been the poster boy for wasting his size. Let's hope this means the realization of this being his final year before having to try and hack it in the pros has lit a fire under his Foss.

Comment

The Hockey News does a nice, big feature on Jerry D'Amigo with video included.
                  R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    This struck me originally as wrong since historically RPI has been more known for offensive-minded players. I guess, however, that the skaters who have played the most in the NHL (Oates, Juneau, McPhee) have been good defensively.

I do think that Foss, like Pothier before him, has a good chance to make the NHL, despite not being dominant in college. Foss was relatively young when he entered RPI, but IMHO he has been steadily improving.
                    Ralph-I really have to agree with that. I have only see Foss play 3 times but I have never felt he avoided contact. I saw him outskated a few times but not outmuscled especially at Princeton. I think he stands an excellent chance of reaching the NHL level at least for a cup of coffee looksee-if he can impress a little, he could have a bit of a career there.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                      The old thread closed before I got around to commenting on the possibility of Polacek hitting the 30 goal mark and his slight tailing off toward the end of the year.
                      I feel that the keys to him continuing to score at a torid pace all year hinges heavily on the formation of a legit second scoring line and the creation of a top PK unit that he and JD aren`t on. I felt that by the last few weeks of the year both of those guys were just spent. I like the job SA is doing but feel he wore these guys out. I wish he would take a page out of addesa`s book and have more specific roles for various lines. I think the personnel is in place to make this possible.
                      Agree-SA has to come up with some ways to keep Chase free in his favorite slot position about 12-15 feet from the goal. Having a second line that is a scoring threat will help but being able to keep Polacek moving from one side of the net to the other is important too. By late in the season ECAC teams had us well scouted and knew exactly where Chase would be positioned and adjusted accordingly. Personally I don't think we will see 30+ goals from him this year-it is just a bit much to ask nowadays. It makes you realize how difficult it is to do in this league and how very good Eric Healey and Brad Tapper had to be to get up to those numbers. Above all-he has to remain healthy and play virtually every game fully to have a chance at it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                        The Hockey News does a nice, big feature on Jerry D'Amigo with video included.
                        Toronto sent him to RPI?

I better not listen to the video while in a library.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                          Or it could be the wonderful officiating in the ECAC where you never know what will get called and what wont. But hopefully Foss does show his nasty streak this season.
                          I wish he'd even shown a hint of a nasty streak, but so far he hasn't. I will say that Jeff uses his stick and his long reach very well -- often surprising puckhandlers who get pick-pocketed by him. If he can add a physical element this fall, he'll be quite the handful for opponents.

As I have said before, Kurulak's sudden departure just prior to the season was a hiccup for our D-corps last year -- which most folks forget. Having Vines' established should make a big difference heading into the '10-'11 campaign.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

RB - I think your point about Foss' age is an excellent one. He came to us right out of H.S. We can only imagine where he'd be, had he played two years in the USHL (he'd probaby be a Gopher... ). His best years are likely ahead of him...hopefully starting this year.

That said, while he wasn't "dominant" (his size alone prevented that) but in IMO, Potsie was a lot more polished at RPI then Foss is currently. Brian was/is a very smart player and always made excellent decisions with his first pass out of the zone. He is the only player since the '85 team that I saw as having the complete game - the brains and the skill - to be an everyday NHL'er (my neighbors in the stands can vouch for me on this.) Apologies for the horn-tooting....I'll stop now.

Comment

I wish he'd even shown a hint of a nasty streak, but so far he hasn't. I will say that Jeff uses his stick and his long reach very well -- often surprising puckhandlers who get pick-pocketed by him. If he can add a physical element this fall, he'll be quite the handful for opponents.

As I have said before, Kurulak's sudden departure just prior to the season was a hiccup for our D-corps last year -- which most folks forget. Having Vines' established should make a big difference heading into the '10-'11 campaign.
                              Defense is my biggest concern for this season-I am pretty sure we will score enough from up front. I would like to see some Dmen who can pile up assists and add a few goals from the point on the PP. But then again, defense has been my concern since 1986 I suspect over the next few years that is being addressed very well with what we have coming in the pipeline. I still maintain that at least in the ECAC-defense rules.

Comment

That said, while he wasn't "dominant" (his size alone prevented that) but in IMO, Potsie was a lot more polished at RPI then Foss is currently. Brian was/is a very smart player and always made excellent decisions with his first pass out of the zone. He is the only player since the '85 team that I saw as having the complete game - the brains and the skill - to be an everyday NHL'er (my neighbors in the stands can vouch for me on this.) Apologies for the horn-tooting....I'll stop now.
                                Wicked-agree but I always felt that Healey and Tapper and Murley had enough offense to be decent NHL players. I would like to add Brian Richardson-who I always feel gets over looked-but his smaller staure worked against him. I still like to think he could have at least had a brief stint in the NHL.

Comment

Working...
                                X