Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

Recently, College Hockey Inc took its road show to California to pitch top prospective up-and-coming California teenage players on the college hockey option. This was a strategic move, since a lot of top Californinans have been choosing the WHL junior route lately.

Listening to the pitch by College Hockey Inc. staff (and some current college coaches) gives you an inside listen as to how college hockey currently positioning itself against major junior, and how they "sell" kids on the benefits of college hockey. If you are interested in our game and recruiting, you should set aside 30 minutes and give it a listen. I found it full of interesting statistics and insights....

Here are the people on the recording:

•Jeff Dwyer, Director of Education and Recruitment for College Hockey Inc.
    •George Gwozdecky, Head Coach of the University of Denver
    •Mike Gibbons, Assistant Coach, St. Cloud State University
    •Brett Larson, Assistant Coach, University of Minnesota-Duluth
    •Tim Army, Head Coach, Providence
    •Brett Henning, former hockey player turned hockey author

A blogger captured this presentation on audio link here:

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2010/6...ches-forum-and

Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

Nice to see them selling college hockey. IMO, in the many, many years ahead it would really be a huge win if a California school decided to enter the icebox. It surely would give kids in California an alternative to major junior.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Most interesting. Hopefully, they continue to spread the word around north America.

I agree with 444 that it would be great for the game if a college hockey presence was established in California (or should I say reestablished since Cal once had a team), but I don't see it happening in the forseeable future.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        Recently, College Hockey Inc took its road show to California to pitch top prospective up-and-coming California teenage players on the college hockey option. This was a strategic move, since a lot of top Californinans have been choosing the WHL junior route lately.

Listening to the pitch by College Hockey Inc. staff (and some current college coaches) gives you an inside listen as to how college hockey currently positioning itself against major junior, and how they "sell" kids on the benefits of college hockey. If you are interested in our game and recruiting, you should set aside 30 minutes and give it a listen. I found it full of interesting statistics and insights....

Here are the people on the recording:

•Jeff Dwyer, Director of Education and Recruitment for College Hockey Inc.
        •George Gwozdecky, Head Coach of the University of Denver
        •Mike Gibbons, Assistant Coach, St. Cloud State University
        •Brett Larson, Assistant Coach, University of Minnesota-Duluth
        •Tim Army, Head Coach, Providence
        •Brett Henning, former hockey player turned hockey author

A blogger captured this presentation on audio link here:

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2010/6...ches-forum-and
        I think this was a great move. I do think that for future efforts they may want to include a few more coaches from schools the kids might actually have heard of -- at least geographically -- Michigan, Harvard, Maine, etc.

A kid from Cali. likely knows more about the cities in Mexico than he does about Duluth, or St. Cloud...and I'm NOT bashing those squads so don't flame me -- I'm just saying from the perspective of opening a kids' eyes to the college route, a few more high profile names might help them focus on it as an option.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          I think this was a great move. I do think that for future efforts they may want to include a few more coaches from schools the kids might actually have heard of -- at least geographically -- Michigan, Harvard, Maine, etc.

A kid from Cali. likely knows more about the cities in Mexico than he does about Duluth, or St. Cloud...and I'm NOT bashing those squads so don't flame me -- I'm just saying from the perspective of opening a kids' eyes to the college route, a few more high profile names might help them focus on it as an option.
          You could probably also include the 3 colleges in Colorado as part of the list of current opportunity (even if one of them is a military academy); perhaps Puck Swami could enlighten us on how many Calfornia players CC or DU generally attempts to recruit. Granted, expansion to California would likely mean we'd have to reinstate the CHA, and unless we have at least 4 more new teams, I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

Comment

They weren't hand-picked. Those were just the schools scouting at that event.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

College = women = fun!

I am sold! Too bad I'm about to graduate.
              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Nice to see them selling college hockey. IMO, in the many, many years ahead it would really be a huge win if a California school decided to enter the icebox. It surely would give kids in California an alternative to major junior.
                agreed.

and it would be nice if they could get Joe Pavelski/Dany Heatley (san jose) and some other San Jose/L.A. Kings ex-NCAA guys to help out by taking a few mins to do a video/audio or both. or show some highlights of these players from college days...
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  agreed.

and it would be nice if they could get Joe Pavelski/Dany Heatley (san jose) and some other San Jose/L.A. Kings ex-NCAA guys to help out by taking a few mins to do a video/audio or both. or show some highlights of these players from college days...
                  2 Ideas on how to start some teams up out west.

1. Form up a conference with the two Alaska schools, UBC and maybe another Canadian school joining the NCAA.

2. Start a cali/west league as a cost containment league. Regulate the number of scholarships the first couple of seasons. After that schools would be eligible to gradually increase the scholarship totals if they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    perhaps Puck Swami could enlighten us on how many Calfornia players CC or DU generally attempts to recruit. .
                    It's a source of players, but by no means a dominant one (in comparison to Canada, Minnesota or even Colorado)

Some DU Californians off the top of my head...

Peter MacNab (San Diego- Born in BC)
                    Andy Hilliard (Santa Rosa)
                    Anders Eisner (Beverly Hills)
                    Gabe Gauthier - Buena Park
                    Rhett Rhakshani - Orange County
                    Beau Bennett - Gardena
                    Jason Zucker - From Nev but played youth hockey in LA

CC has had some luck with Californians, too (off the top of my head)

Brett Sterling
                    Noah Clarke
                    Brian Salcido
                    Andreas Vlassoupolous
                    Justin Morrison
                    Dakota Eveland

The Hockey is definitely getting better and better there since Gretzky went there in 1988...

Comment

A kid from Cali. likely knows more about the cities in Mexico than he does about Duluth, or St. Cloud
                      And yet without knowing where the hell St. Cloud was, two kids from California were on SCSU's roster last year, while the three schools you mentioned had a combined one. Kids from California will start to learn where Duluth, St. Cloud, Bemidji and other D-1 hockey towns are soon enough.

Anybody know of any schools with more than 2 kids from Cali last year?
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Technically St. Cloud had three. Eddy went to high school in Minnesota but was born and grew up in California and knew Lasch which is one of the reasons he came to Cloud
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                          And yet without knowing where the hell St. Cloud was, two kids from California were on SCSU's roster last year, while the three schools you mentioned had a combined one. Kids from California will start to learn where Duluth, St. Cloud, Bemidji and other D-1 hockey towns are soon enough.
                          BSU had Orlando Alamano (G) from Fresno and Brandon Marino (F) from Riverside - both seniors on the '09 Frozen Four team. Plus they had Andrew Martens ('06 - D) from Friendswood, Texas.
                          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                          ECAC:
                          HEA: UMass
                          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

"Jonathan Toews is the poster child for College Hockey Inc." - Jeff Dwyer, Director of Education and Recruitment for College Hockey Inc.

Why not Powerpoint a college photo of Toews to drive home the point to the kids that college is REALLY fun?
                            *****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hxBuvxzvvVE/SdqD9OqwQiI/AAAAAAAADkA/VUa1dCLkd9Q/s400/Alcoholic+Toews.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post

Anybody know of any schools with more than 2 kids from Cali last year?
                              CC had 3 last year - Vlassopolous, Marciano, Quilico

I would bet that California kids know a lot more about teams like SCSU and UMD than people are giving them credit for. CC and DU have both had quite a few California kids on the roster, and I know that many of them followed the WCHA before they arrived on campus. Many of the more recent kids CC picked up knew or looked up to some of the older California kids who played at CC and they watched their games on satellite or followed the stats online. Starting with PuckSwami's list, CC has had the following California kids in the last ~10 years:

Brett Sterling
                              Noah Clarke
                              Brian Salcido
                              Andreas Vlassoupolous
                              Justin Morrison
                              Dakota Eveland
                              Dan Quilico
                              Joe Marciano
                              Alex Kim
                              Nick Tsiantar
                              Justin Morrison
                              Berk Nelson