Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 regionals awarded

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Well... ya. Rochester is the middle of nowhere too. Being in Rochester you might as well be a midwesterner. Anything west of Amherst is like another continent as far as most people in eastern NE are concerned.
    See!
    Thank You for so eloquently (or not ) making my point for me.

Remember, though... Somewhere between Rochester and Buffalo (Batavia, maybe?) is the geographic center of the college hockey universe . Someone with more time on their hands than myself figured that out a few years ago on this board. I remember in the arguments about the regional they had here in 07 figuring out that somewhere between 60-70% (I can't remember exactly) of the D-I schools were within an 8 hour drive of here.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      See!
      I remember in the arguments about the regional they had here in 07 figuring out that somewhere between 60-70% (I can't remember exactly) of the D-I schools were within an 8 hour drive of here.
      Pointless statistic, because that's too far for us HE fans to drive!!
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        See!
        Thank You for so eloquently (or not ) making my point for me.

Remember, though... Somewhere between Rochester and Buffalo (Batavia, maybe?) is the geographic center of the college hockey universe . Someone with more time on their hands than myself figured that out a few years ago on this board. I remember in the arguments about the regional they had here in 07 figuring out that somewhere between 60-70% (I can't remember exactly) of the D-I schools were within an 8 hour drive of here.
        But what about the colorado school and UNO and Alaska, they are pretty far away
        Last edited by Fan Forum Moderator; 07-06-2010, 10:12 AM. Reason: Remove embedded audio

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
          Where would you rather spend the weekend: Amherst or Manchester? Amherst or Boston?

As you say, 94 miles is "stupid short", so, even if you're driving to the Regional, why not drive that extra "stupid short" distance and not be in the middle of nowhere?

And, if you're flying to the regional, you're probably going to fly into either Manchester, Boston, or possibly Providence. Why leave any of those cities to drive to the middle of nowhere, when there are viable options much closer?
          You're not going there for the nightlife or things to do. People didn't go to Fort Wayne last year to go check out the Johnny Appleseed Memorial. Hell, I think a lot of people that stayed for the regional final that night either went to the mall there, or to the movies....
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Hell I was contemplating going to a home/home series between Sacred Heart and AIC last year just so my friends and I could take over the AIC arena.
            it'd be tough out dueling the usual noise rivals, cockroaches and dust mites.
            time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              You're not going there for the nightlife or things to do. People didn't go to Fort Wayne last year to go check out the Johnny Appleseed Memorial. Hell, I think a lot of people that stayed for the regional final that night either went to the mall there, or to the movies....
              I agree, but it makes it more enticing. I'm sure most of us will go just about anywhere for hockey, but this isn't about diehard hockey fans. It's about the less-than-diehards.

All of this is also missing the other big reason not to have a regional at UMass - the 2005 regional was awful.
              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
              -Fred Shero

Comment

But did any of the "better" eastern arenas bother to bid?
                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                ---
                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                  But did any of the "better" eastern arenas bother to bid?
                  Probably, but what does that matter?

I'm not kvetching about that regional, I'm giving reasons why it would be smart for the NCAA to avoid Amherst in the future.
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

It could matter in that:

1) Instead of blaming the NCAA for a poor choice, I would want to know if indeed there other bids. I seem to recall some complaints about multiple years at Yost, but turns out no one else bid...

2) If there were other bids, why were they rejected? Simply for variety's sake or because they were financially inferior?

Upshot: maybe fans who want to see regionals at certain locations should encourage them to bid - and bid competitively.
                    St. Norbert College Green Knights
                    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                    ---
                    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Re: 2012 regionals awarded

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                      It could matter in that:

1) Instead of blaming the NCAA for a poor choice, I would want to know if indeed there other bids. I seem to recall some complaints about multiple years at Yost, but turns out no one else bid...

2) If there were other bids, why were they rejected? Simply for variety's sake or because they were financially inferior?

Upshot: maybe fans who want to see regionals at certain locations should encourage them to bid - and bid competitively.
                      Once again: I'm not complaining about the 2005 choice.

One would think that you westerners would have plenty of time to work on your reading skills on all those long drives.
                      Last edited by thecomicbookguy; 07-01-2010, 09:10 PM.
                      -Fred Shero

Comment

I agree, but it makes it more enticing. I'm sure most of us will go just about anywhere for hockey, but this isn't about diehard hockey fans. It's about the less-than-diehards.

All of this is also missing the other big reason not to have a regional at UMass - the 2005 regional was awful.
                        F the Fairweathers!!! Real fans saddle up and ride!
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

F the Fairweathers!!! Real fans saddle up and ride!
                          Sorry, I, and the NCAA, would like to see arenas a little more full than that.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Sorry, I, and the NCAA, would like to see arenas a little more full than that.
                            Its not the NCAA's responsability to build a fanbase that will travel more than 2 hours away for a regional.

It just happens.

Comment

Its not the NCAA's responsability to build a fanbase that will travel more than 2 hours away for a regional.
                              Maybe not, but it is their responsibility to have regionals in places that people actually want to visit.

(Also, I think it kind of is their responsibility, at least in part. D-I hockey is one of their products. They should take some responsibility for selling it.)
                              -Fred Shero

Comment

Maybe not, but it is their responsibility to have regionals in places that people actually want to visit.

(Also, I think it kind of is their responsibility, at least in part. D-I hockey is one of their products. They should take some responsibility for selling it.)
                                The NCAA only organizes the event, the schools are the ones that need to sell it.

And get the breeches!!!

It just happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X