PDA

View Full Version : Ccha 2010-2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

fangers
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Easy Joe, I am far from Nieve. And I posted a small sample. They do mention education and college in their as well.

Were kind of off topic, I think everyone knows the true goal of the USNTDP. But they try and get you to think they make it a point of emphasis as they should. They even go into detail about the school the kids attend.

Point is the College game in a lot of aspects is a better option than the OHL, and these kids are being either misinformed or have their priorities mixed up. The USNTDP says their goal is to help shape these kids off the ice just as much as on the ice. I don't see the harm in trying to get things set up to where these kids go to college. But it goes far beyond just the USNTDP, I just used them as an example because they are the place that the cream of the crop of American Hockey. And it is rather annoying that the top development program for USA hockey has a lot of players go to canada instead of American Universities. I know USA Hockey and the NCAA are seperate entities but they should both get on the same page.

I agree with your view that education should be a priority - you know where my kid is - but reality is that there are many kids and parents who don't share that same priority and if the US program were to somehow make college attendence mandatory (not sure how they could do that, not even sure if they could legally) those top talents simply would not join the program.

That's where Mr Kelly & his group have to educate folks and hopefully emphasize the educational benefits.

redhawkman10
08-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry rhm10, but I absolutely can't resist this:

nieve is Spanish for snow. :D ;) :o :rolleyes: :cool: :p

Now back to the regularly scheduled debate...

touche- I never spell that word right. Oh well, atleast you know I am far from snow! which with how hot it has been is a truthfull statement. :D

redhawkman10
08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree with your view that education should be a priority - you know where my kid is - but reality is that there are many kids and parents who don't share that same priority and if the US program were to somehow make college attendence mandatory (not sure how they could do that, not even sure if they could legally) those top talents simply would not join the program.

That's where Mr Kelly & his group have to educate folks and hopefully emphasize the educational benefits.

And I know and get that. I don't think they can make it mandatory either, but they could do a better job of getting their players to honor their committments. I just know they use the education angel to help persuade guys to come their and convince their families yet we all suspect that they truly don't pay much attention to it or atleast the attention they should and that is wrong, IMO.

Listen I was far from a good student and did what I needed to to get by but my college education has been a blessing during these times and I have benefited greatly from having it. You don't have to have a 3.5 or 4.0 to get a degree that will benefit your life. It would be nice but I graduated with a 2.6 and have a great job and have had great opportunities. Not saying that is the ideal way to go but the point is you can get a lot out of college in many ways by just getting a degree. It would be nice if I or others put forth their full efforts and had a 3.5 but reality is it isn't necessary to get the piece of paper that makes a big difference. College is scary but once you go through it you understand how meaningfull it is.

Point is I think that program can do a better job of preparing these kids and educating them on all of their options.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
touche- I never spell that word right. Oh well, atleast you know I am far from snow! which with how hot it has been is a truthfull statement. :D

Actually, I've been wondering about 2 totally non-hockey related things about you. Were you educated in the Montessori tradition? Or are you foreign-born?

Arpod
08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Actually, I've been wondering about 2 totally non-hockey related things about you. Were you educated in the Montessori tradition? Or are you foreign-born?

Gettin a little personal there, JJfP? :D Not sure those two are mutually exclussive...

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
08-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Gettin a little personal there, JJfP? :D Not sure those two are mutually exclussive...

Actually, the questions are based purely on my curiosity raised by his creative spelling. It's either that or he drinks...a lot. :D :p ;)

*wondering to myself now...am I getting too personal? :( *

redeagle
08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Actually, the questions are based purely on my curiosity raised by his creative spelling. It's either that or he drinks...a lot. :D :p ;)

*wondering to myself now...am I getting too personal? :( *

It's the latter. :D ;)

BGFan
08-17-2010, 02:14 PM
It's the latter. :D ;)
And the point is mute, um, I mean moot! :D

IrishHockeyFan
08-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Don't know if this (http://www.ccha.com/ccha_to_continue_shootouts_in_league_play_.aspx) has made the rounds, but the CCHA will keep the SO for another season, and the scoring format adopted last year (3-2-1-0) will also be in force again. We all have our opinions about the SO, but I have to believe that like it or not, everyone probably agrees that if you're going to have a SO, this scoring system is better than that used in the first season.

potternmu
08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Don't know if this (http://www.ccha.com/ccha_to_continue_shootouts_in_league_play_.aspx) has made the rounds, but the CCHA will keep the SO for another season, and the scoring format adopted last year (3-2-1-0) will also be in force again. We all have our opinions about the SO, but I have to believe that like it or not, everyone probably agrees that if you're going to have a SO, this scoring system is better than that used in the first season.

What I find interesting is that they are going to the adopt the standard media timeouts for every league game, televised or non-televised. Because what we really need is longer games.

aparch
08-18-2010, 09:21 AM
What I find interesting is that they are going to the adopt the standard media timeouts for every league game, televised or non-televised. Because what we really need is longer games.

That's hilarious; they voted in 2002 to cut down the length of games by doing away with the "TV Timeouts" for non-televised games AND to speed up the time between stoppage in plays and puck drops.

Game length didn't change much, maybe a drop of 10 to 15 minutes tops.

IrishHockeyFan
08-18-2010, 02:56 PM

With only 17 more games left at the Joyce (not counting potential CCHA playoff games) perhaps they thought I needed just a few more minutes to savor the place before Notre Dame moves out of it.

Twisted Wrister
08-18-2010, 08:43 PM
With only 17 more games left at the Joyce (not counting potential CCHA playoff games) perhaps they thought I needed just a few more minutes to savor the place before Notre Dame moves out of it.

What is there to savor about the Joyce?

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
08-18-2010, 11:30 PM
What is there to savor about the Joyce?

Sarcasm 101.

davyd83
08-19-2010, 08:58 AM

As a member of the media, I like the timeouts. Even the GLIAC has timeouts. The CCHA games are generally pretty quick. Another 10 minutes is inconsequential. The biggest problem that I saw is that teams were playing by different rules. Michigan played most of their games with the timeouts, while Lake Superior played only a couple. You can't play by one set of rules in Ann Arbor and another set in the Soo or Marquette. Besides, why should FSN or BTN get more commercial availability than the local radio outlets?

As for the media benefit, I can now run that commercial during the period without missing 5-7 seconds of play.

potternmu
08-19-2010, 09:35 AM
The CCHA games are generally pretty quick. Another 10 minutes is inconsequential.

I don't know ... When I'm in Marquette, I really like that extra 10 minutes at Vango's that I get.:)

MaizeRage
08-20-2010, 01:45 PM

The WCHA adopted the same policy last year and it got pretty positive reviews all around, so I think that played a big role in the CCHA switching.

There were a few times that I thought it hurt the flow of the game, but it wasn't that bad.

davyd83
09-24-2010, 08:10 AM
The WCHA adopted the same policy last year and it got pretty positive reviews all around, so I think that played a big role in the CCHA switching.

There were a few times that I thought it hurt the flow of the game, but it wasn't that bad.

One of the reasons for adopting it was to make the game format more standardized around the league, and through the course of the season. Now all teams will play under the same rules at all times.

DominicHennig
09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Hey Guys,

Went to the Ferris State rink today. Shot some video...this took me 3 1/2 - 4 hours to edit once I left the rink today. It was my first time, so hopefully I can cut that time down:

Ferris State Hockey Video Feature 9/25/10:

******** width="640" height="385">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icrsDA80x-0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icrsDA80x-0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Thoughts?

Dom

NMUFAN21
10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Week 1 predictions??