Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First women inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First women inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame?

The rumours are swirling.

Will it become a reality?

I think so!!

Announcement coming very soon!

One Canadian...one American?

Re: First women inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame?

Do the names Angela James and Cammi Granato mean anything?

Congrats to these two superstars!!

First women inductees to the Hockey Hall of Fame!!!

Comment

From TSN.CA

TORONTO -- The Hockey Hall of Fame is set to enshrine women for the first time.

Female players Angela James and Cammi Granato were among those elected to the Hall of Fame on Tuesday. They were joined in the players category by former star NHL forward Dino Ciccarelli.

Longtime Red Wings executive Jimmy Devellano and the late Daryl (Doc) Seaman -- a founding owner of the Calgary Flames -- were elected as builders.

The induction ceremony will be held in November.

While women had always been eligible for induction, the Hall made it easier for them to be selected when it established a women's subcategory this year.

Not selected were Eric Lindros and Joe Nieuwendyk. Both were in their first year of eligibility and seen as possible top candidates.

Granato was a 15-year member of the U.S. women's team, beginning in 1990. She led the team to a gold medal at the 1998 Winter Olympics.

"I dreamed of being in the NHL my entire life and this certainly makes up for those dreams," Granato said in a statement. "Being amongst the first women to play at college and later at the Olympics, it certainly was worthwhile being a hockey pioneer."

James was a four-time world champion with the Canadian women's team. She also starred in the 1970s and early '80s in the Central Ontario Women's League.

"On behalf of everyone in women's hockey, I am truly honoured," said the Toronto native. "As a kid I went to the Hall and was in awe of those who had been inducted. I am delighted to be able to join them."

A native of Sarnia, Ont., Ciccarelli played 19 NHL seasons with five teams, recording 608 goals and 592 assists in 1,232 games. In nine seasons with the Minnesota North Stars, he led the team in scoring five times.

"This is a tremendous honour that I will cherish for the rest of my life," said Ciccarelli. "I really appreciate the support of my coaches, the fans and mostly importantly my family throughout my 19-year career."

The 18-member selection committee includes Scotty Bowman, Pat Quinn, Harry Sinden, Serge Savard and Peter Stastny.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
        The 18-member selection committee includes Scotty Bowman, Pat Quinn, Harry Sinden, Serge Savard and Peter Stastny.
        I'd say they did a good job....

Comment

Wow..a great day for women's hockey indeed and they even managed to select two of the greatest legends of the game. An elite pairing, avant-garde!

Awesome picks...Doc Seaman & Devellano for what they were able to bring to each of thier respective markets. $$

But.... Dino "Never won a Cup" Ciccarelli? I know he had good numbers and was a standout for the N Star's for a few years but really between his indecent exposure and aggravated assault convictions?

I'm embarrassed that today's announcement will unfortunatley be tarnished with it's association as the day they admitted Dino "Not dressing for tonights game" Ciccarelli into the HHOF.

Comment

What great news about the women being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Cammi Granato is one of my daughter's hockey heros as I am sure so many more girls/women's hockey players!

Comment

Dino scored over 600 goals. And you don't think that's HOF material? Really?

Comment

The only convicted criminal to be inducted into the HHOF?

Typical that you would think that's ok...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hodb0LUALjI

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                  The only convicted criminal to be inducted into the HHOF?

Typical that you would think that's ok...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hodb0LUALjI
                  Dunno. There are other guys in the Hall that have done some unsavory things on and/or off the ice. I watched Ciccarelli play, and he was one dynamic player, with a real edge to his game. One year he had a fantastic playoff run.

I was already following the game when James was starring for TC in the early 90's. She was a trailblazer for the female game, and an idol for the generation of female hockey players that are now in their late 20's and early 30's. Where has the time gone ?.

Comment

I only wish they could have included Pat Burns in the Builder category. He's suffering from terminal lung cancerand may not be around for another kick atthe can. He has such a great hockey resume that he should be included for HHOF consideration.

AJ is a personal friend and we couldn't be happier. A legend that was slighted from inclusion onto the first Olympic team by a vindictive and mean-spirited loser head coach who fled the country shortly after losing the GM game in our inaugural Olympic games. Had AJ (who at the time of her dismissal was the leading scorer and leading defensive player on TC) been on the team, perhaps silver would be gold!!

Enjoy the accolades Ang!!! You earned it!

Comment

I only wish they could have included Pat Burns in the Builder category. He's suffering from terminal lung cancerand may not be around for another kick atthe can. He has such a great hockey resume that he should be included for HHOF consideration.

AJ is a personal friend and we couldn't be happier. A legend that was slighted from inclusion onto the first Olympic team by a vindictive and mean-spirited loser head coach who fled the country shortly after losing the GM game in our inaugural Olympic games. Had AJ (who at the time of her dismissal was the leading scorer and leading defensive player on TC) been on the team, perhaps silver would be gold!!

So who else from TC is headed for the HHOF?
                      Campbell???
                      Wickenheiser?? <-- IMO a lock
                      Botterill??
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Congratulations to Cammi Granato, a truely great person as well as a great player.

Comment

Not only was she a great player, she also made her mark in Coaching, coaching team Ontario amongst other things, and she also was a ref, in the days when there were very few high quality female refs who had also played the game at a high level.

A trailblazer in more ways than one.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            So who else from TC is headed for the HHOF?
                            Campbell???
                            Wickenheiser?? <-- IMO a lock
                            Botterill??
                            IMHO Ruggiero and Wick are the two from the current generation that will eventually be in the hall. A few others will preceed them....

....From TC Goyette or Heaney might be next, prior to Campbell. Both of them are into coaching at the CIS level at the moment. Another name could be Ms Rheaume.

Comment

From TSN.CA

TORONTO -- The Hockey Hall of Fame is set to enshrine women for the first time.

Female players Angela James and Cammi Granato were among those elected to the Hall of Fame on Tuesday. They were joined in the players category by former star NHL forward Dino Ciccarelli.

Longtime Red Wings executive Jimmy Devellano and the late Daryl (Doc) Seaman -- a founding owner of the Calgary Flames -- were elected as builders.

The induction ceremony will be held in November.

While women had always been eligible for induction, the Hall made it easier for them to be selected when it established a women's subcategory this year.

Not selected were Eric Lindros and Joe Nieuwendyk. Both were in their first year of eligibility and seen as possible top candidates.

Granato was a 15-year member of the U.S. women's team, beginning in 1990. She led the team to a gold medal at the 1998 Winter Olympics.

"I dreamed of being in the NHL my entire life and this certainly makes up for those dreams," Granato said in a statement. "Being amongst the first women to play at college and later at the Olympics, it certainly was worthwhile being a hockey pioneer."

James was a four-time world champion with the Canadian women's team. She also starred in the 1970s and early '80s in the Central Ontario Women's League.

"On behalf of everyone in women's hockey, I am truly honoured," said the Toronto native. "As a kid I went to the Hall and was in awe of those who had been inducted. I am delighted to be able to join them."

A native of Sarnia, Ont., Ciccarelli played 19 NHL seasons with five teams, recording 608 goals and 592 assists in 1,232 games. In nine seasons with the Minnesota North Stars, he led the team in scoring five times.

"This is a tremendous honour that I will cherish for the rest of my life," said Ciccarelli. "I really appreciate the support of my coaches, the fans and mostly importantly my family throughout my 19-year career."

I can't believe Harry Sinden is involved with the Hall of Fame. He single handedly ruined the Bruins.
                              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Working...
                              X