Atlantic Hockey Summer News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atlantic Hockey Summer News

The league gets 100 percent of all ticket revenue from all play-in and quarterfinal games. The host schools have to submit all money to the league. For the league's sake, they want Air Force, Army, RIT, now Niagara the host those series. As for semifinals and championships at Blue Cross Arena, the league splits revenue with Blue Cross Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by metssabres View Post
      The league gets 100 percent of all ticket revenue from all play-in and quarterfinal games. The host schools have to submit all money to the league.
      That's a pretty crappy deal. Like hosting playoff games is cheap!

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        That's a pretty crappy deal. Like hosting playoff games is cheap!

Powers &8^]
        I would guess (or at least hope) that the league takes their money after the host school covers operating costs, or else they cover the costs themselves. I can't imagine leaving the schools a huge bill, then taking all the revenue away.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

That depends on what the concessions and merch revenues look like, I guess.
          Some say that if you're not taking flak, you're not over the target.

I just wonder why the goal seems to be taking flak.

Comment

AIC announces graduate assistant coach.

Casey Balog has been named graduate assistant coach for the upcoming 2010-11 season. Balog, who joins the Yellow Jackets' staff after playing collegiately at SUNY Geneseo, will assist in all facets of the program.

http://www.aicyellowjackets.com/news...804100815.aspx

Now if Coach Wright can work some magic and get the Swedish under 20 team to come to Springfield, that would be awesome!

Comment

The Swedish bikini team might draw more fans.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I do not know if this query has been brought up elsewhere in this thread or somewhere else in this forum but does anyone know if the Atlantic Hockey Association has considered (or is considering) using alternate venues to host the league championship tournament?

I know that Rochester, N.Y. is a fairly convenient location for at least half the teams in the league, but it is a long haul for those of us in New England (and perhaps even for the followers of the Army hockey program as well).

There is another thread on this forum that is discussing the possibility of Hockey East moving its league championship game out of Boston's TD Garden. I do not know the reason why Hockey East is considering changing the venue (if in fact this is actually true), but it has created some spirited discussion regarding the merits of utilizing alternate locations.

In light of the foregoing I was just wondering if the league has a long term commitment to the Blue Cross Arena or might we be seeing the championship tournament at perhaps the MassMutual Center in Springfield, MA, the DCU Center in Worcester, MA, or the XL Center in Hartford, CT - all of said venues being convenient to league member schools located in New England and eastern New York.
                "Love means never having to say you are sorry." Oliver Barrett, IV from the movie "Love Story". The cinematic masterpiece that forever immortalizes a CORNELL victory over CRIMSON vermin!

Comment

Originally posted by BeloBrasil View Post
                  I do not know if this query has been brought up elsewhere in this thread or somewhere else in this forum but does anyone know if the Atlantic Hockey Association has considered (or is considering) using alternate venues to host the league championship tournament?

I know that Rochester, N.Y. is a fairly convenient location for at least half the teams in the league, but it is a long haul for those of us in New England (and perhaps even for the followers of the Army hockey program as well).

There is another thread on this forum that is discussing the possibility of Hockey East moving its league championship game out of Boston's TD Garden. I do not know the reason why Hockey East is considering changing the venue (if in fact this is actually true), but it has created some spirited discussion regarding the merits of utilizing alternate locations.

In light of the foregoing I was just wondering if the league has a long term commitment to the Blue Cross Arena or might we be seeing the championship tournament at perhaps the MassMutual Center in Springfield, MA, the DCU Center in Worcester, MA, or the XL Center in Hartford, CT - all of said venues being convenient to league member schools located in New England and eastern New York.
                  I believe they just put an extension in place that carries through 2011.

To be successful, (i.e., decent attendance), you have to make it convienent for the largest number of fans who will support a championship, not necessisarily in the center of the footprint of the league. If you look at regular season attendance figures for the league, that would probably be somewhere in NY. If not Rochester, then Syracuse, Buffalo, or maybe Binghampton. Albany opens up this year. Take a look at what happened to the ECAC championship when it moved from Lake Placid (where it drew well from the St Lawrence, Clarkson, and RPI fan bases. In Albany it went down and down. Now they're trying Atlantic City. Also, the TUC is too big a facility. Even the biggest AHA championship crowds would get lost in there.
                  John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                  AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                  AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                  NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                  NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                  NCAA DII - 1983
                  NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                    Also, the TUC is too big a facility. Even the biggest AHA championship crowds would get lost in there.
                    Same with HSBC in Bufffalo. And Syracuse, Binghamton, and Albany are not near any AHA schools, which would depress turnout. As for New England -- the average attendance of the five New England schools combined is less than 3,000 per game.

It just doesn't make economic sense to move the tournament away from a city where a) it's been, by all accounts, about as successful as could be expected, and b) where it's starting to make a name for itself as an annual event the hockey community can look forward to.

Unless a reasonable case can be made that attendance will be at least comparable to the attendance in Rochester, I think the AHA would be foolish to try to move anytime soon.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Not for nothing, there would still be a decent number of RIT fans who would go to the BCA as casual fans. I don't know if that would be the case for other venues.
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Here's a real scary article on the current state of college finances. The article cites ten schools as examples. Most are in the northeast, and one is a D-1 hockey school.

Check out the slideshow showing some examples.

Forbes Magazine - More Colleges See Bonds Downgraded
                        Bentley University Hockey
                        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                          Here's a real scary article on the current state of college finances. The article cites ten schools as examples. Most are in the northeast, and one is a D-1 hockey school.

Check out the slideshow showing some examples.

Forbes Magazine - More Colleges See Bonds Downgraded
                          And one is a DII hockey school
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Interesting article on the down-grading of bond ratings at certain colleges and universities across the country.

When it was mentioned that one of the colleges was a D-1 hockey school my heart sank for I do not want to see yet another D-1 program go the way of Wayne State and Findlay University. I was, however, relieved to see that it was Quinnipiac University whose bond-rating was down-graded. The article got it right. Anyone who has been down there lately can give witness to the school's ambitious expansion plans and obviously the cash outlay that the school has had to assume during a down economy is going to lead to this result.

Give the "Bobcats" credit. They are proceeding "full steam ahead" with their expansion plans in this lousy economy and I think it will invariably pay dividends to them in the future. You cannot grow without assuming some risk so kudos to Quinnipiac.

By the way, Quinnipiac has built one of the slickest new arenas in New England. What a beautiful venue and what makes it even nicer is that the hockey rink is not a per se multi-use facility. When they built the arena they built a separate basketball arena so the facility is essentially two arenas in one (like Notre Dame's Joyce Center). If you are in the Hamden/New Haven, CT area check it out. Definitely worth the price of admission for either hockey or basketball.
                            "Love means never having to say you are sorry." Oliver Barrett, IV from the movie "Love Story". The cinematic masterpiece that forever immortalizes a CORNELL victory over CRIMSON vermin!

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                              AIC announces graduate assistant coach.

Casey Balog has been named graduate assistant coach for the upcoming 2010-11 season. Balog, who joins the Yellow Jackets' staff after playing collegiately at SUNY Geneseo, will assist in all facets of the program.

http://www.aicyellowjackets.com/news...804100815.aspx

Now if Coach Wright can work some magic and get the Swedish under 20 team to come to Springfield, that would be awesome!
                              Hopefully this season we will have a +.500 season.... although we haven't one under his watch for a long time. The plus side though I like to this roster.. which might come back if there are any injuries.. is that the bench isn't deep. We had numerous players last season that only saw action in less than a dozen games, some on senior night (who almost had his first NCAA goal.. which from where I was.. I would have given it to him)... a few decided not to come back this year because they barely got any playing time.

Comment

RIT gets to host the championship in exchange for keeping the tournament afloat. There's nowhere else you could put it that would draw anywhere near as close. They lead the league in attendance (Army and Air Force don't count because a good chunk of their attendance are cadets who can't physically leave the campus and have nothing better to do) and have the most fans who are willing to travel and shell out a few bucks for tickets. (See the threads on this forum and find another school's thread with 1/10 of the pages.)

If RIT goes into a slump (unlikely) or gets an invite to the ECAC (slightly less likely) then the tournament might go looking for a new home. But for now, it's there to stay.

Besides, Rochester isn't such a bad place. The train station, hotels, Dinosaur BBQ, and a few other decent bars are all within walking distance of the rink. Try a trip once before you start with the "it's too far from Boston" crap.
                                Last edited by AFHockeyFan; 08-05-2010, 07:53 PM.
                                2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                                2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                                Air Force Falcons
                                2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                                2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                                2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                                2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                                2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Working...
                                X