Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who taught you how to skate...

..is it October already..

Anyway, was just thinking.. most of us college hockey fans love the sport & (i am assuming), some if not all do some sort of skating..

so, who taught you how to skate?...

I'll go first.. was at a rink in London, England of all places during vacation with parents. I was about 9 (yeah, late starter!) but fell in love with it. Def mom (who skated as a child herself), helped us with the basics. Yup, that's about all. From then on, school buddies & then at NU during open ice at Matthews with friends during the college years.. pretty much recreational level, some pick up hockey outside but always ton of fun..

Had a chance to skate on my first frozen pond pick up game 3 yrs ago & just fell deeper in love with hockey & skating as well. Have been at it every winter since.. now got friends/ family involved as well.

Okay, your turn
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Re: So who taught you how to skate...

Taught myself. First on roller skates (the old school kind) believe it or not and then on ice skates. Backwards for sure being a Minnesotan.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

We had a pond about 3 blocks from my house growing up, and my folks made sure to get us second-hand skates every year. Being in suburban Chicago, the pond didn't freeze over every winter, so we occasionaly went to the local indoor rink (where I once ran into Darryl Sutter when he was the 'Hawks coach).

I didn't play hockey in any organized form until I went to NMU, when I started playing intermurals. I kept up for a few years with drop-in hockey in the Twin Cities, but hurt my back when I moved to International Falls, so I quit. I still skate rarely, since my daughter has less than zero interest in learning. I hope she changes her mind some day. (I keep asking - maybe she'll go one of these days just to shut me up ...)
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

awesome stuff.. keep it coming folks
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

When I was three, my dad started taking me to public skating at the Janas Rink in Lowell. They had milk crates there that little kids could use to help keep their balance. The next winter, he signed me up for learn to skate classes in my hometown and bought me my first stick. Since sticks and pucks weren't allowed either at class or at public skating, he took me to a pond down the street and taught me how to stickhandle. When I was five, I moved up to the advanced skating class, and when I was six, I played on my first mite team. My dad built a rink in our backyard when I was seven or eight, and he kept it going until we moved when I was 12. I played up to midgets and JV in high school, but never made varsity. I still play pick-up pond hockey with my friends at home, and I play three or four hours a week for a hockey "class" at BU.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I havent skated since I was 5 years old.

I never played ice hockey.

However, my love for the game of hockey allowed me to fall in love with the college game in college (UMass when the program restarted in 1993) and I've loved it ever since. Before I went to college, I had no idea college hockey even existed.

Comment

My parents and Jeff Whistler.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Bit Special View Post
                Before I went to college, I had no idea college hockey even existed.
                I will add to my comment that I really didn't know anything about college hockey until I visited NMU - and found out that they had just won the National Championship. I went for a second visit durring winter, and NMU was playing UMinn (they were ranked #1 and #2 in the nation that weekend), and the game was sold out. So, the band director (I was considering a music major) offered to sneak me into the game to sit with the pep band... One game and I was hooked.
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass
                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Self taught the first few years. Dad took me, but knew nothing about skating! Fortunately back in the day, Madison had a rink at EVERY school and park, and many were lit, and of course all the lakes offered large sheets! All you needed were snow shovels.

Constant skating and trying new things was my training in the early years.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I learned to skate on double-runners on a pond in my grandfathers woods when I was 3. I was a better walker than a skater at that age, and the pictures show it.
                    MICHIGAN STATE
                    1966:1986:2007

Comment

I taught me how to skate. I watched some Youtube videos, a couple hockey speed DVDs and read the book, "Power Skating" but other than that Im self-taught.
                      I just went to public skate at the local rink, at public outdoor ice rinks and one my own personal rink on a lake near my home and just skated. I started learning in mid January and my no means would I say that Im a great skater, but Im pretty good.
                      Im probably going to take some lessons at some point in time though. I have a feeling that a good instructor could take me from being a good skater to being a great skater in a short period of time.
                      I didnt get started in skating/playing hockey until age 29, so I definetly have some catching up to do!
                      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                      Originally posted by MadCityRich
                      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

My father at an outdoor rink at the park across the street. He played hockey in high school and has been an official ever since. I usually was a defenseman at the pick-up games, because I was the only one that could skate backwards.

I don't ice skate much anymore, and I have forgotten how to stop. I am truly that Mendoza kid on the Mighty Ducks. I can absolutely fly and carve and circle around all over the place. Stopping? Have to use the boards or a snowbank. Big mental block at this point, I know I am thinking about it way too hard.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                          ..is it October already..

Anyway, was just thinking.. most of us college hockey fans love the sport & (i am assuming), some if not all do some sort of skating..

so, who taught you how to skate?...

I'll go first.. was at a rink in London, England of all places during vacation with parents. I was about 9 (yeah, late starter!) but fell in love with it. Def mom (who skated as a child herself), helped us with the basics. Yup, that's about all. From then on, school buddies & then at NU during open ice at Matthews with friends during the college years.. pretty much recreational level, some pick up hockey outside but always ton of fun..

Had a chance to skate on my first frozen pond pick up game 3 yrs ago & just fell deeper in love with hockey & skating as well. Have been at it every winter since.. now got friends/ family involved as well.

Okay, your turn
                          Your mom
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Got taught how by an uncle when I was 8 or 9, then never skated again until college, and pretty much taught myself...and now I'm playing hockey, only 2 years later, and now I pick up things from other guys as I go...

Comment

I taught myself mostly, I had been skating on roller blades for years and playing pick up games of roller hockey. Then one winter I went to an ice rink when I was in Spicer, MN visiting my grandparents, and it wasn't hard for me to adapt. Stopping took a while for me to learn though, even after hockey camps and such.
                              Originally posted by Mankato student
                              Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                              "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                              -- Peter Klein

Comment

Working...
                              X