Atlantic Hockey Scholarships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Hockey Scholarships

I heard a rumor that the AHA has a plan for gradually increasing its allowed scholarships by 1 per year from the current 13 until it maxes-out at 16 in a few years. I haven't seen anything about it on the official Atlantic Hockey website, or anywhere else for that matter.

Has anyone out there heard anything about this rumored plan? It would be a major shot in the arm for the AHA if true.

Re: Atlantic Hockey Scholarships

Originally posted by Maldez View Post
    I heard a rumor that the AHA has a plan for gradually increasing its allowed scholarships by 1 per year from the current 13 until it maxes-out at 16 in a few years. I haven't seen anything about it on the official Atlantic Hockey website, or anywhere else for that matter.

Has anyone out there heard anything about this rumored plan? It would be a major shot in the arm for the AHA if true.
    I believe they are upping it from 12 to 13, but I have not heard anything other than that. I don't think that the teams would go for increasing it further, as several teams do not/cannot allow scholarships.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      I believe they are upping it from 12 to 13, but I have not heard anything other than that. I don't think that the teams would go for increasing it further, as several teams do not/cannot allow scholarships.
      Thanks, but you know how rumors are.

Comment

It would be a major shot in the arm for the AHA if true.
        Well, maybe not for the conference as much as for the few teams that actually utilize the full allowable scholarships. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it may only be Mercyhurst, Niagara, and Robert Morris (and maybe Canisius?) that are affected. RIT can't. Army and Air Force players don't need them. The rest of the teams are in the "We (fans and athletic departments alike) don't give a **** about our school's hockey program" Division. I would be surprised if even one or two of them had enough support from the school to offer the full allowed 12 scholies anyhow.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

This may be a way to molify Niagara and Robert Morris (btw, can we please stop using the stupid moniker "Bobby Mo"?) in their transition. They had to actually cut scholarships to get in the league.
          Bentley University Hockey
          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
            This may be a way to molify Niagara and Robert Morris (btw, can we please stop using the stupid moniker "Bobby Mo"?) in their transition. They had to actually cut scholarships to get in the league.
            I don't think most people realized that RMU and NU had to drop from 18 scholarships to 12 to get into the AHA.
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Maybe the schools can better afford it now as well. Since the conference is now having its tourney in Rochester along with the addition of Niagara and Robert Morris maybe they will be getting more money off of their conference tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                Maybe the schools can better afford it now as well. Since the conference is now having its tourney in Rochester along with the addition of Niagara and Robert Morris maybe they will be getting more money off of their conference tourney.
                Of course, they now have to split all shared revenue 12 ways instead of 10.
                Plus, I can't imagine that the the championship is a moneymaking venture for the league unless RIT is there and in the finals, less so if they don't win in the semi's.
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                  Of course, they now have to split all shared revenue 12 ways instead of 10.
                  Plus, I can't imagine that the the championship is a moneymaking venture for the league unless RIT is there and in the finals, less so if they don't win in the semi's.
                  Next year is the last year that the AHA tournament will for certain be at the BCA. I think that will be reviewed after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                    I don't think most people realized that RMU and NU had to drop from 18 scholarships to 12 to get into the AHA.
                    Who is to say that they spent all 18 in the first place? I don't think RMU ever spent at that level. They originally wanted to join Atlantic Hockey years ago.

I can't say if Niagara ever spent all 18, I have no idea.

But RMU probably didn't award anywhere near 18 in the first place.

This signature sucks!

Follow on twitter: @21stCenturySkiz

Comment

Originally posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
                      Who is to say that they spent all 18 in the first place? I don't think RMU ever spent at that level. They originally wanted to join Atlantic Hockey years ago.

I head that Robert Morris was already under the AHA limit, but Niagara was not.

Comment

Niagara used all 18 scholarships every year. Going down to just 12 in the AHA caused much weeping and the gnashing of teeth among die-hard Purple Eagle fans. Getting back to 16 in a few years should relieve much of the angst.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                          I'd be SHOCKED if the AHA tournament yielded anything other than a net loss.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

They originally wanted to join Atlantic Hockey years ago.
                            They were offered a spot and turned it down to join the CHA instead.
                            Last edited by schiegs; 06-09-2010, 10:16 PM.
                            Bentley University Hockey
                            On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Niagara used all 18 scholarships every year. Going down to just 12 in the AHA caused much weeping and the gnashing of teeth among die-hard Purple Eagle fans. Getting back to 16 in a few years should relieve much of the angst.
                              I think RMU used all 18 as well. They didn't give out a full scholarship to any one player but gave partially scholarships to most of the players.

Comment

Working...
                              X