Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CC, Den, Mich etc. Why no D-1 womens hockey???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC, Den, Mich etc. Why no D-1 womens hockey???

This makes no sense
    Last edited by WCHFan; 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM.

Re: CC, Den, Mich etc. Why no D-1 womens hockey???

Costs for the colorado schools is the biggest obstical. Also title lX may play a role as well.

Michigan will not have a ladies program as long as Red is around. His statement years back about quitting before he would allow the school to take on the burden of a ladies team seems to be holding up for now...
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

I think CC has a club team but the previous poster is right. Cost would make it difficult and the fact that they would have to find another men's sport to go D1 would be difficult as well.

Comment

I think "costs" for the Colorado schools needs to be clarified. I think maybe WHKY Blogger is addressing the transportation costs. With the exception of North Dakota which is a bus ride, all majority of D1 Women's Hockey is based out of the upper midwest and east, all a costly plane trip away. If one looks at this from both the men's and women's side, CC vs. DU men's games can fill Magness Arena easily. Programs, memorabilia, concessions = $. What are the chances, if CC and DU both fielded women's teams, that Magness Arena would sell-out. My guess is slim to none. It is all comes down to the dollars. As a Coloradan, I totally understand the situation. Would I like to go to a women's hockey game here? Sure I would but it isn't going to happen.
        "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

What about schools like Central Connecticut State? There is a rink right outside their back gate but no hockey teams at all....

Lack of Massachusetts DIII Teams is one of my biggest frustrations. On the men's side is the MASCAC league (Fitchburg, Framingham, Salem, UMD, Worcester, etc) but the only D III women's team is UMass Boston. This in one of the countries supposed "Hotbed" of women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
            Michigan will not have a ladies program as long as Red is around. His statement years back about quitting before he would allow the school to take on the burden of a ladies team seems to be holding up for now...

Red...friggin' dinosaur.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by THE Icemom View Post
              I think "costs" for the Colorado schools needs to be clarified. I think maybe WHKY Blogger is addressing the transportation costs. With the exception of North Dakota which is a bus ride, all majority of D1 Women's Hockey is based out of the upper midwest and east, all a costly plane trip away. If one looks at this from both the men's and women's side, CC vs. DU men's games can fill Magness Arena easily. Programs, memorabilia, concessions = $. What are the chances, if CC and DU both fielded women's teams, that Magness Arena would sell-out. My guess is slim to none. It is all comes down to the dollars. As a Coloradan, I totally understand the situation. Would I like to go to a women's hockey game here? Sure I would but it isn't going to happen.
              That didn't stop DU from starting men's and women's lacrosse programs.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post

Red...friggin' dinosaur.
                I took a kid's team in to see their dressing room several years back. Let's just say he wasn't very accommodating.

Comment

Thanks, All great posts.

My daughter also was being recruited by Holy Cross who mentioned they were going D1? Concordia Morehead?

I just think Colorado would be a perfect area for Women's hockey.

Comment

We thought Colorado would be ideal for women's college too but no such luck. Mine had to go east. I had spoken to a high school athletics director 5 years ago about bringing boys hockey to our district and got told no. Saw him at a function the other day and asked him if he was going to go for it yet and he said that since some of the private schools have high school hockey and can't fill their rosters, they are utilizing the public school kids available. This is boy's hockey, imagine trying to get girl's high school hockey to be popular enough for college's to even consider it.
                    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                      Thanks, All great posts.

My daughter also was being recruited by Holy Cross who mentioned they were going D1? Concordia Morehead?

My suggestion then would be for you to endow Colorado College with funds sufficient to fund, and earmarked to only fund, a women's DI ice hockey team in perpetuity. You might even ask that profits from gate receipts, concessions, memorabilia & etc., be paid directly to you to lessen your endowment commitment. Moreover, you could require them to let you pick the team name -- provided it's not Indian related.

Comment

...but I don't believe Michigan or Michigan State can use the funds excuse...if the other Big 10 schools in the WCHA can manage. Considerable revenue from football and hoops...Wolverine men's hockey must make money too I would guess.

Soo Lakers...Wildcats?
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post

Red...friggin' dinosaur.
                          We could start a countdown to when the dinosaur becomes extinct. Can't be long.

Comment

I think the last time this was discussed the point was made that CC is D-I in men's hockey and one women's sport (soccer?), but D-III in everything else. They couldn't add women's hockey as a D-I sport unless they went D-I (or D-II perhaps) across the board. D-III women's hockey would be easier in terms of legalities, but even tougher to find opponents willing to travel.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                              Thanks, All great posts.

Moorhead State University is not going DI anytime soon...not sure about HC - but I would say 3 years at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X