X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver, XXVIII

Today is 09/02/10.

There are 30 days until DU's next game.

This is based upon the first exhibition game on October 2nd.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
      Didn't we get Frank Serratore from there plus a bunch of good players?
      Yes. Seratorre was the architect of the Lancers' success. He was DU's second choice for head coach back in 1990.

Then-Maine coach Shawn Walsh was DU's top choice, who came out to DU, charmed everyone and got DU Chancellor Dan Ritchie to offer a him a huge contract.Walsh promptly went back to Maine and used the DU deal as leverage for a big raise for himself at Maine. DU got played like a fiddle.

Angelo Ricci was probably the best Omaha Lancer to come through DU in the Serratorre era.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        Yes. Seratorre was the architect of the Lancers' success. He was DU's second choice for head coach back in 1990.

Then-Maine coach Shawn Walsh was DU's top choice, who came out to DU, charmed everyone and got DU Chancellor Dan Ritchie to offer a him a huge contract.Walsh promptly went back to Maine and used the DU deal as leverage for a big raise for himself at Maine. DU got played like a fiddle.

Angelo Ricci was probably the best Omaha Lancer to come through DU in the Serratorre era.
        Angelo has since put together some nice youth teams in the Denver area which have produced several DU recruits and players as well as some amateur national championships.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          Angelo has since put together some nice youth teams in the Denver area which have produced several DU recruits and players as well as some amateur national championships.
          Man that guy could fly!!!
          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
          Tom Serratore

Comment

Today is 09/03/10.

There are 29 days until DU's next game.

GO DU !!!

Comment

Man that guy could fly!!!
              I've posted before about watching a DU game on cable in Omaha and Angelo caught a two line pass in full stride just outside the blue line and exploded on whoever the goalie was for one of the prettiest goals I've ever seen. Warms me up just thinking about it.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                I've posted before about watching a DU game on cable in Omaha and Angelo caught a two line pass in full stride just outside the blue line and exploded on whoever the goalie was for one of the prettiest goals I've ever seen. Warms me up just thinking about it.
                I swear I remember this goal!! I was sitting with some CC friends, yes, I have some of those and even they jumped up and cheered it was so pretty!! The only problem is, I thought he went coast to coast. (then again, this forum has made it abundantly clear that Dmann's memory at DU hockey games is not always, shall we say, sharp?)

P.S. Speaking of coast, cross your fingers for me tonight, Earl is on the way and the boat is "buttoned down"
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Nice piece from The Hockey News on the Shore brothers:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...re-Family.html

Comment

I swear I remember this goal!! I was sitting with some CC friends, yes, I have some of those and even they jumped up and cheered it was so pretty!! The only problem is, I thought he went coast to coast. (then again, this forum has made it abundantly clear that Dmann's memory at DU hockey games is not always, shall we say, sharp?)

P.S. Speaking of coast, cross your fingers for me tonight, Earl is on the way and the boat is "buttoned down"
                    Good luck. Remember, storm surge is the big killer. Otherwise try to avoid being the dude who gets hit in the head with a flying wheelbarrow.

As to that goal, I don't remember the opponant. But it was in the old barn, IIRC as DU was gaining possession behind our goal, he just took off, full jets (a practiced play, obviously) up the right wing and caught the pass that had crossed the ice on the diagonal and two lines in full stride and just smoked the goalie. Kid had zero chance. It was a real beauty and Ricci definitely had wheels.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jori_DSF View Post
                      Nice piece from The Hockey News on the Shore brothers:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...re-Family.html
                      Think it would be really great for the Shore family to see 3 older sons all play for the same team in 2012. Think it would be pretty great for the DU family of fans.

Add to that the Mermis brothers and Alex Carle. It's a family affair

(Might have to findout if Chris Knowlton's 2 younger brothers play hockey.)
                      Last edited by vizoroo; 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM.
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Earl has been a bust where I live and hopefully it keeps tracking out to sea and doesn't hit Maine.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                          Will this decision lead to the eventual inclusion of Canadian schools into college hockey? If so, it might help level the NCAA v. CHL war and get more Canadian kids into our system, and thus, elevate the talent level in college hockey.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ember-school/1
                          Simon Fraser University joins the NCAA. If others, e.g. University of British Columbia, follow suit about 5 years down the road this could have an interesting effect on NCAA Hockey and the CHL.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                            Simon Fraser University joins the NCAA. If others, e.g. University of British Columbia, follow suit about 5 years down the road this could have an interesting effect on NCAA Hockey and the CHL.
                            They are in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference and playing in non-scholarship Division II. 2010/11 is their first season in the NCAA. UAA and UAF are already members of the GNAC. Simon Fraser will compete in the conference in football, volleyball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's indoor track and field, men's and women's outdoor track and field, softball and golf. I assume their hockey team will stay in the CIS. They had already been playing sports in the US in the NAIA. If they eventually move up to D-1 status and plan on playing D-1 hockey, they will no longer be able to use former CHL players under NCAA regulations. Most players on CIS teams are former CHL players. I saw a comment in one article that said UBC is pushing to go D-1. That would change the landscape. Back in 2009 UBC turned down the chance to go D-II. Apparently, they are re-looking at joining the NCAA and will make a decision next year.
                            Last edited by du78; 09-03-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Ever wonder what it would be like to be a sports PA announcer?

This is a very clever internet marketing idea from Middle Tennessee State. You'll need a working phone to use it right...

http://www.goblueraiders.com/gameday/hero/

Comment

Today is 09/04/10.

There are 28 days until DU's next game.
                                Wearing #28 is first year, senior goalie Josh Rosenholtz.

GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X