This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver, XXVIII

RPI has hired someone else who was once at DU http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...713105644.aspx.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      Highway Patrolman: I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.
      I don't want have to drop the old, "Do you know who I am?" card.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/inci...ed-563333.html

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        I don't want have to drop the old, "Do you know who I am?" card.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/inci...ed-563333.html
        Cash is better. However, if you need a resupply of the cards I understand John Kerry's got a garage full.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          Today is 07/14/10.
          There are 86 days until DU's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of the regular season
          80 days until the first exhibition.
          Thank you Viz for this countdown. There is hope!!!
          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
          Tom Serratore

Comment

Today is 07/15/10.
            There are 85 days until DU's next game.

79 days until the first exhibition.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
              Highway Patrolman: I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.
              Hopefully, Pablo has some legal connections in Montreal who can help DG if he has any "difficulties".

I found this write-up about the 1977-78 team in the 1978-79 press guide. Note that DU was voted #1 in the polls after BU had won the national championship. (A fact I was reminded of last evening by one of the players on that team.)

1977-78
              "A Remarkable Season"
              DU hockey fans who saw both clubs compared the 1977-78 team with the legendary 1960-61 squad. The comparison alone is highly complimentary considering that many folks feel the 1960-61 squad was the finest collegiate hockey team ever assembled.

The comparison was quite understandable in light of the fact that many of the school records broken by last year's team were originally held by the awesome 1960-61 unit. Last season, new records were established for most victories (33), most assists (395), most total points (630), and most short-handed goals (13).

Ironically, head coach Marshall Johnston had direct involvement with both teams. He was a winger on the powerful 1960-61 championship squad and, of course, was the mentor of last year's championship team.

It was, in short, a remarkable season for the rookie head coach and his team. The team erased all doubt about who was the best in the WCHA last year when it pulled off an incredible mid-season task. On successive weekends, the Pioneers went to Michigan Tech (during Winter Carnival) and then to Wisconsin's zany Dane County Coliseum and came away with four straight victories.

This firmly established the Pioneers as the No. 1 team in the country in the minds of the voters and DU was at that No. 1 spot seventy-five per cent of the season and was the nation's top-ranked club in the final polls.

To expect the same kind of season in 1978-79 is wistful thinking, but it could happen! After all, at the beginning of last season, nobody spoke of DU putting together the kind of season that it did.

Tradition tells us the Pioneers will be up there at the top of the WCHA standings again this season. A strong group of returning players plus top-notch newcomers reinforces this. In other words, what's on
              tap for DU in 1978-79 is another season of exciting, fast-paced collegiate hockey action.
              Last edited by du78; 07-15-2010, 10:21 PM.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                Hopefully, Pablo has some legal connections in Montreal who can help DG if he has any "difficulties".

Quebecois Phrases dg should NOT use when dealing with authority figures

Va pèter dans le trèfle.
                ‘go fart in the clover’; c’est-à-dire, piz off.
                Baise-moué l’ail!
                Kiss my azz; literally ‘kiss my garlic.’

Quebecois phrases dg could use to explain behavior
                Avoir des bébites dans la tête
                ‘to have bugs in your head,’ to be a little crazy.
                Avoir mal aux cheveux
                To be so sodden with booze and hung-over on the morning after that you are having a ‘hair ache.’

GO DU !!!

Comment

I found this write-up about the 1977-78 team in the 1978-79 press guide. Note that DU was voted #1 in the polls after BU had won the national championship. (A fact I was reminded of last evening by one of the players on that team.)
                  DU78-Nice to meet you finally. A great evening of story telling for sure.

Comment

Today is 07/16/10.
                    There are 84 days until DU's next game.

78 days until the first exhibition.
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagman View Post
                      DU78-Nice to meet you finally. A great evening of story telling for sure.
                      Lots of fun, too bad we couldn't track down 14ers.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

NCAA proposal would reign in high school recruiting with scholarship restrictions
                        By Shemar Woods
                        The Denver Post

Chris Thomas, who attends a prep school in Maryland but is from Denver, said he wants to wait until after his senior year to commit. (Kenneth D. Lyons, The Denver Post)College basketball coaches are lining up to get Chris Thomas interested in their schools.

Last weekend, at the Kentucky Hoopfest in Louisville, the 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Denver dazzled recruiters. He's already been offered scholarships by Ohio State, Michigan State, Arizona and California heading into his junior season at Maryland's Princeton Day Academy.

The 16-year-old transfer from Montbello High isn't in a hurry to make a decision.

"I tell them I'm going to wait until after my 12th-grade season and that I would love to come to their school," said Thomas, ranked No. 3 on ESPU's Terrific 25 for the Class of 2013. "I don't want to commit early and have a better opportunity come along."

By the time he commits, the entire recruiting process could be different.

An NCAA committee is pitching a proposal to prohibit coaches from offering scholarships to athletes in all sports until July 1 after their junior year, or after at least five semesters or seven quarters of high school academic work. Scheduled for a vote in January, the proposed change would allow coaches more time for evaluation and provide recruits more time to mature before making a decision.

"I don't think it needs to be earlier than that," said Ken Shaw, basketball coach at powerhouse Regis Jesuit. "We are doing too much evaluation of seventh- and eighth-graders throughout the country."

Two years ago, Michael Avery made an oral commitment — as an eighth-grader — to former Kentucky basketball coach Billy Gillispie. Gillispie was fired a year later. Southern California football coach Lane Kiffin raised him one in February by offering David Sills, a 13-year-old seventh-grader, a full ride for the 2015-16 season.

The NCAA would like to stop such practices.

"The ugliest thing about recruiting kids is that they are being told they are the No. 1 recruit early on and the kid will turn off all other offers," said Greg Willis, Thomas' AAU coach. "Then the school will get the kid they really want and back off the other kid. I've seen it happen."

Thomas said he'll remain uncommitted until he's a senior, even if he gets an offer from Tennessee, his current top choice. All oral commitments are non- binding.

Other young prospects are committing earlier and earlier.

Alabama already has 14 oral commitments for the 2011 football season. Colorado State football coach Steve Fairchild has two commitments for next year. Still, Fairchild prefers to wait and see how young athletes pan out before making a scholarship offer.

"We're forcing an issue," Fairchild said. "I've seen too many times where guys get offered a year out and then all of a sudden they don't progress. . . . Sometimes I wonder how many offers some of these schools have out and how sincere it is."

Not all of the issues in today's fierce recruiting world will be resolved if the proposal passes. Athletes likely won't tattle on their coaches for providing a heads-up that an offer is on the way. And coaches certainly won't rat on themselves.

"A college coach could tell a high school coach, 'Hey, when Ricky gets to be a senior, we're going to offer him,' " Colorado football coach Dan Hawkins said. "So what's the difference? I understand the reasons for (the proposal). I think there are some legitimate reasons for it. I hear all that. But how are you going to prevent that?"

The recruiting process would be shortened if the rule is implemented, possibly relieving pressure for athletes and their coaches. According to Rivals.com national recruiting editor Jeremy Crabtree, the proposal is a start toward changing the entire recruiting landscape.

"I think as you go into changing the rules, an early signing period goes hand-and-hand to curtail and control the early recruiting process," Crabtree said. "If you talk to a lot of football coaches, the next logical step is to have an early signing period."

Currently, basketball recruits can sign in November of their senior year; football players can sign in February.

Thomas said his biggest concern is staying on track in school and then making the right decision on a college.

"I wish time would fly faster," he said.
                        sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Lots of fun, too bad we couldn't track down 14ers.
                          What is this meeting of the minds you speak of?, where?, when?, context?,
                          why wasn't I invited?, details......
                          Tom Serratore

Comment

Today is 07/17/10.
                            There are 83 days until DU's next game.

(Did you know: Gwoz coached UW-River Falls to an NAIA title in '83.)

77 days until the first exhibition.

Last edited by vizoroo; 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                              What is this meeting of the minds you speak of?, where?, when?, context?,
                              why wasn't I invited?, details......
                              Campus Lounge in Denver on Wednesday night.

Comment

Campus Lounge in Denver on Wednesday night.
                                Please tell me you had Mexican food and you solved all of Du hockey's problems!!!
                                Tom Serratore

Comment

Working...
                                X