Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Off-Season III -- How we learned to stop worrying and love the Class of '14

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season III -- How we learned to stop worrying and love the Class of '14

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    (I can speak to this as a former goalie)
    Learn something new every day. With a handle as "Wicked Slappaahs," I would not have thought that you played goal.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season III -- How we learned to stop worrying and love the Class of '14

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Learn something new every day. With a handle as "Wicked Slappaahs," I would not have thought that you played goal.
      Let's just say I 've earned a respect for the shot...
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        And a heavy shot keeps the band on its toes as Gerry Beauclair proved.
        There's a net now.

Comment

True. Anyone know if raising the band platform will be completed during this round of renovations? I hope so. Seems like an easy and necessary fix...so it probably won't happen.
          I'm not sure as to how easy it would be. That stage is already a little rickety as it is. However, it might make concerts at HFH a little more enjoyable if it were further up. I'm sure one of the considerations is how people would be able to actually get up there, as the stairs as they are already extend halfway across the corner. Not to mention, are you going to build an underneath cubicle for the goal judge?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            I'm not sure as to how easy it would be. That stage is already a little rickety as it is. However, it might make concerts at HFH a little more enjoyable if it were further up. I'm sure one of the considerations is how people would be able to actually get up there, as the stairs as they are already extend halfway across the corner. Not to mention, are you going to build an underneath cubicle for the goal judge?
            I meant that in the grand scheme of architecture & construction performed on campus, it ain't all that tough, nor does it need to be expensive.

Considering the awful work from our goal judges of late (quickly turning on the green for our opponents, failing to see or acknowledge RPI goals) I'm willing to let the band inform me of their judgment.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I meant that in the grand scheme of architecture & construction performed on campus, it ain't all that tough, nor does it need to be expensive.

Considering the awful work from our goal judges of late (quickly turning on the green for our opponents, failing to see or acknowledge RPI goals) I'm willing to let the band inform me of their judgment.
              We're talking probably the height of the glass being at waist height or so. Given an average band member's height of 5'6-5'7, subract maybe 2.5 feet for waist height, and the stage would have to be 9 feet above the ice (add a couple inches from the concrete), as dimensions for the walls from ice to top of the glass, at least according to NHL rules, is a little less than 12 feet. Let's also consider getting equipment up and down from there. Walkway is maybe 2-3 feet above the ice, but that would require coming in from behind the curtain.

Comment

We're talking probably the height of the glass being at waist height or so. Given an average band member's height of 5'6-5'7, subract maybe 2.5 feet for waist height, and the stage would have to be 9 feet above the ice (add a couple inches from the concrete), as dimensions for the walls from ice to top of the glass, at least according to NHL rules, is a little less than 12 feet. Let's also consider getting equipment up and down from there. Walkway is maybe 2-3 feet above the ice, but that would require coming in from behind the curtain.
                Are we really gonna discuss the difficulty of a 19 or 20 year old's ability to carry a saxophone or a trumpet up a flight of stairs? Sure the tubas and drummers will have to work together -- what a concept -it'll be a team building exercise. Equipment?? Did I miss something?? Did the band go electric , adding a wall of amps and sound mixing to their repertoire?? A light show perhaps? Smoke?

We're talking about a set of new off-the shelf concert staging serviced by a flight of stairs - likely with a landing/switchback. Call me crazy, I think most second semester Arch. majors at the 'tute could handle this on the back of a napkin at the Notty... But what do I know...I guess the band will remain in oblivion behind the glass.

Comment

Are we really gonna discuss the difficulty of a 19 or 20 year old's ability to carry a saxophone or a trumpet up a flight of stairs? Sure the tubas and drummers will have to work together -- what a concept -it'll be a team building exercise. Equipment?? Did I miss something?? Did the band go electric , adding a wall of amps and sound mixing to their repertoire?? A light show perhaps? Smoke?

We're talking about a set of new off-the shelf concert staging serviced by a flight of stairs - likely with a landing/switchback. Call me crazy, I think most second semester Arch. majors at the 'tute could handle this on the back of a napkin at the Notty... But what do I know...I guess the band will remain in oblivion behind the glass.
                  I am constantly amazed by the twists and turns of the RPI hockey threads-we seem to discuss some of the most unusual things here. i learn something new almost every day.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                    The 2012 Regional sites were announced. Does anyone in the know know why we did not submit / receive a bid?
                    Ken Schott mentioned on Twitter that the TUC is now hosting the high school basketball championships from 2011-2013 (whereas it was in Glens Falls before) and those take place at the same time Regionals do.
                    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

A quick release is as important as heavy shot (I can speak to this as a former goalie) The element of surprise is often what is lacking from our PP shots...the pucks that we have mindlessly shot into defenders shin pads have been, for the most, part due to our inability to rip off quick shots, giving the PK defender time to slide into blocking position.

Puck movement AND quick releases lead to shots/rebounds/goals, IMO
                      That is exactly what I have been trying to say.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Did the band go electric , adding a wall of amps and sound mixing to their repertoire?? A light show perhaps? Smoke?
                        We aren't Clarkson. We're not bringing in a banjo either.

However, do remember that during my tenure, I was a percussionist, so I am thinking from that point of view. Also, I would say that the stage is currently 6 feet high, and the band gets stuff up there from the side currently, so that is already in place. I'm talking of the potential of going 3 feet higher.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                          Ken Schott mentioned on Twitter that the TUC is now hosting the high school basketball championships from 2011-2013 (whereas it was in Glens Falls before) and those take place at the same time Regionals do.
                          Thanks for the info, GLM. Looks like I won't be able to bank on the Engineers playing in Albany anytime soon, then.
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            Thanks for the info, GLM. Looks like I won't be able to bank on the Engineers playing in Albany anytime soon, then.
                            Not unless they bring back the Governor's Cup.

Actually, come to think of it, doing the Governor's Cup and having it alternate between Lake Placid, Glens Falls, possibly also the War Memorial (if Colgate were to host it), maybe a site to the west, might be a bit of an interesting idea. I wonder if the NY teams would be up for a yearly tournament. Probably not Cornell given the Ivy League schedule, but the NY Atlantic teams may want to get in and try to steal the thunder. Putting RIT into the mix might make things interesting.

Comment

Not unless they bring back the Governor's Cup.

Actually, come to think of it, doing the Governor's Cup and having it alternate between Lake Placid, Glens Falls, possibly also the War Memorial (if Colgate were to host it), maybe a site to the west, might be a bit of an interesting idea. I wonder if the NY teams would be up for a yearly tournament. Probably not Cornell given the Ivy League schedule, but the NY Atlantic teams may want to get in and try to steal the thunder. Putting RIT into the mix might make things interesting.
                              I thought it was the Governor's Cup because it was held in Albany (capital) and involved two teams from Albany.

I wouldn't be opposed to a competition between some of the NY teams before the ECAC season starts. And, a rotating venue wouldn't be a bad idea. Figuring out which teams to rotate in and out would be more problematic.

But, we also need to keep in mind that devoting too many games to teams we already see / are not the cream of the crop may hurt the strength of schedule. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that we're playing Niagara and RIT this season and that we're travelling to LP, even though we're playing Union. But, it may become tiresome if we're only playing ECAC / AHA teams in our OOC games.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

There was some talk about raising and extending the band platform at some of the Field House renovation meetings I was at. They were looking at the idea of having removable sections to extend the stage forward to better facilitate concerts. The new stage would be tall enough to park the Zambonis under it. The architect kindly offered to place RPI TV under the new platform. We politely declined; I'm pretty sure a noisy stomping band above us wouldn't be conducive to live TV production =).

I'm not sure if the stage upgrades are still planned since the renovation is assuredly way over budget.
                                RPI Class of 2012
                                Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Working...
                                X