Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Off-Season III -- How we learned to stop worrying and love the Class of '14

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season III -- How we learned to stop worrying and love the Class of '14

Today is 15 June 2010. There are 109 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October for the start of next season.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season III -- How we learned to stop worrying and love the Class of '14

Apologies in advance for dragging out the rules discussion...

The part that upsets me the most is the wide disparity in the rules of the game between the conferences (each one has different rules that they make sure they enforce), the multitude of tournaments (in relation to OT), and the levels of play (primarily the icing rules between the USHL, major juniors, NCAA, NHL, and international play). It's the same reason I hate the DH rule (and the aluminum bat) in baseball, if anyone follows my logic. Good luck bringing more and more fans into the game if the basic rules are different depending on which team you happen to follow.
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
        Apologies in advance for dragging out the rules discussion...

The part that upsets me the most is the wide disparity in the rules of the game between the conferences (each one has different rules that they make sure they enforce), the multitude of tournaments (in relation to OT), and the levels of play (primarily the icing rules between the USHL, major juniors, NCAA, NHL, and international play). It's the same reason I hate the DH rule (and the aluminum bat) in baseball, if anyone follows my logic. Good luck bringing more and more fans into the game if the basic rules are different depending on which team you happen to follow.
        I follow your logic-and agree-if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Without getting into each specific change suggested-I like college hockey just the way it is(and I love old time traditional baseball like in the NL where the pitcher has to bat, bunt, and play the game like the other players.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          I follow your logic-and agree-if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Without getting into each specific change suggested-I like college hockey just the way it is(and I love old time traditional baseball like in the NL where the pitcher has to bat, bunt, and play the game like the other players.
          I totally agree with you Doc. But I think that it has more to do with what we grew up with.
          I cannot watch basketball at all anymore, because it is a totally different game than what I learned, played and watched growing up.
          The same thing can happen in other sports.
          The total disregard for defense in hockey is just wrong. All the rule changes favor offense. They think that people want to see 5-4 games. I kind of like hard hitting 2-1 games. But that is the kind of hockey I grew up with.
          The Montreal Canadiens in a six team league played defense first and won a bucket load of Stanley Cups.
          Take away the size of the goalie equipment if you want, but don't change the rules.
          Sorry for the rant.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

I agree that most people like whatever things were like when we were young. The problem is that we were not all young at the same time.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
              How many times did they call Jerry for embellishment? I think they sit in that ref's room and say "hey boys, remember to watch for embellishment tonight, its RPI".
              I don't recall many embellishment penalties, but if there were [takes sunglasses off], it's probably because he is a flopper.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season III -- How we learned to stop worrying and love the Class of

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Two words... Mike Baker. He was atrocious in the Brown series. Ditto.. Feola What Baker did to Pirri was everything that is wrong with ECAC officials. I think he called him for three penalties (game one) in the first period, the same in game two... I couldn't go to Sunday game because I knew we were going to get jobbed by Baker and Feola. My issue is that the league never does anything to improve it. Paul Stewart sits on his NHL alleged cred. SA is trying to bring in top flight guys (i.e. Pirri and Jerry) and believe me the refs in the league can and will be issue why they leave or why players of their caliber don't come in the first place.
                As I said before I saw all three games and am willing to attribute 3 of the 6 to ticky tacky calls...the other 3 were squarely on Brandon...including an unpsortsmanlike in Game 1 and a facemasking call in Game 2. (IIRC, he did not make the scoresheet at all in game 3.)

As I said before, these are youthful mistakes that more mature players skate away from. Brandon is talented enough to retaliate with his skills (IMO, there is no better way to send a message than to bury a puck) he doesn't need to do it with his mouth. I know Brandon will learn from this experience and be the better for it.

Discussion of the officiating woes is more than justified, but RPI has been its own worst enemy at times as well...with shenanigans away from or behind the puck. I want to see us take our penalties in front of, or preferably IN our opponents net, not from petty B.S. away from the play. This is a maturity thing which I know we will develop.
                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 06-15-2010, 11:04 AM.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season III -- How we learned to stop worrying and love the Class of

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  Take away the size of the goalie equipment if you want, but don't change the rules...
                  The size of goalie equipment is an absolute joke...that is a no-brainer rule change. They should do it yesterday.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

A few short pieces on Dubuque's camp now underway with 200 kids in attendance. I'd bet RPI folks will poke their heads in there, as well as at some other camps. 2nd article mentions an 18 yr. old "power forward" who is 6'3" 224lbs. -- listening Doc?

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=285984
                    http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=286081

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      A few short pieces on Dubuque's camp now underway with 200 kids in attendance. I'd bet RPI folks will poke their heads in there, as well as at some other camps. 2nd article mentions an 18 yr. old "power forward" who is 6'3" 224lbs. -- listening Doc?

DrD is probably salivating, but I don't think that we are going to get commitments from the truly talented big forwards unless we become a consistent NCAA participant. However, this guy probably doesn't fit that bill.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I had to take some medication just now to calm myself-that is indeed my kind of forward. If he has any kind of speed, even mediocre, I offer him a spot right now!

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          I totally agree with you Doc. But I think that it has more to do with what we grew up with.
                          I cannot watch basketball at all anymore, because it is a totally different game than what I learned, played and watched growing up.
                          The same thing can happen in other sports.
                          The total disregard for defense in hockey is just wrong. All the rule changes favor offense. They think that people want to see 5-4 games. I kind of like hard hitting 2-1 games. But that is the kind of hockey I grew up with.
                          The Montreal Canadiens in a six team league played defense first and won a bucket load of Stanley Cups.
                          Take away the size of the goalie equipment if you want, but don't change the rules.
                          Sorry for the rant.
                          Could not agree more.

Comment

WaP's Bentley preview http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/06/...y-bentley.html

These previews are quite enjoyable.

So, Dan Koudys is now known as a cousin of Patrick Koudys cousin (actually first cousin once removed) as opposed to a son of Randy Koudys (RPI '84).
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-15-2010, 12:49 PM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

WS: how the heck do you find this stuff?????

Comment

OK Ralph, you can rest easy, it appears the board has locked up Shirley for several years to come...

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...storyID=941442

Comment

Working...
                                X