Not Another NCAA Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Another NCAA Video Game Thread

Why is it "Not Another"? Looks like it may finally happen, just not with their own title. Integration with the EA Sports's NHL title seems likely, and correct way to go about it.

I guess the inclusion of the CHL really tee'd the NCAA into wanting to throw their hat in the ring. All this is good news for fans of the NHL title from EA Sports. Should really add depth to some of the game modes like "GM Mode".

http://kotaku.com/5548672/ncaa-hocke...-eas-nhl-title
    WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
    NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
    WIAC Championships: 10-11
    NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
    NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Re: Not Another NCAA Video Game Thread

so if im reading this right there gonna try and do a college hockey gme itself or are they just gonna add it in the nhl game

Comment

Originally posted by kylemiller View Post
      so if im reading this right there gonna try and do a college hockey gme itself or are they just gonna add it in the nhl game
      It looks like this article is discussing the possibility of adding it along with the NHL game. However, this is a discussion that pops up every year, and never turns out to be more than pure rumor. Yes, this article has quotes from a few people likely to be "in the know" (assuming these quotes are actually taken from the cited sources and the intent of the quote is as it is implied), but I still don't see anything in this article that tells me "WOW! It's actually going to happen this time!". There are a number of obstacles. I'd also like to say that, if this were to actually happen, this would very likely turn out to be à la "NCAA Football"... in that schools, stadiums, and mascots are all there... but the names of real players, and I believe coaches, would not. In NCAA Football, the default lineups for every team include people whose names are somewhat along the lines of "[school name]QB#10"... and that is also true of the school/NCAA "record books". Although franchise modes, with in-season and off-season recruiting of computer-generated PSAs, is enjoyable AND (after 4 seasons) everybody has a name!

Bottom line: I still don't think this will happen, but if it does it will only be a part of the NHL EA Sports Franchise, not as a standalone game. Possibly the ability to play as a game mode, but more likely just as a new, more sophisticated, scouting/drafting feature. And I'm sure it will be horribly unrealistic. You'll see in game simulations results of epic upset calibre on a weekly basis, you'll see unnamed players (giving the impression of an unfinished game), and every conference will determine standings (including tiebreakers) in EXACTLY the same way (because EA Sports is lazy like that). If it happens, i will most certainly be buying it because it IS still "NCAA Hockey", no matter the quality of the product. But I will do so knowing that any expectations I may have will be unmet.
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

The interview with Paul Kelly can be heard on the podcast here (the reference the EA Sports game is in Hour 1 at about 42:15). Sounds good to me.
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I have a buddy that works over at Activision as a developer, I can ask him if he's heard anything floating around the video game world about this.

Comment

You're correct that there is no formal announcement. Paul Kelly is in charge of marketing NCAA hockey. He's a reliable source. Now that the CHL has a contract with EA to be included, the NCAA has finally piped up an said, "hey, we want in too!". Everything else before this has been blogger speculation and whining. This seems much more definitive, and it makes sense because of the CHL deal.
            WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
            NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
            WIAC Championships: 10-11
            NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
            NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

If, in GM Mode, you move a player from school A to school B, does he have to sit out??
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                If, in GM Mode, you move a player from school A to school B, does he have to sit out??
                Are CHL players banned from NCAA play?
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  Are CHL players banned from NCAA play?
                  They'd be up to the NECk in trouble if they tried.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

With the news coming from Kelly, I think there is a ray of hope coming. I do wish it would get it's own title, but some college hockey is better than NO college hoceky.
                    Twitter: DanMountSports
                    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
                    X