Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for UConn hockey outdoor game

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...,7713770.story

This is being spun up by Howard Baldwin. If you know my stance with UConn hockey you'll know that i'm not terribly optimistic but we'll see how it goes... I'm probably on the hook to attend this game as the date will be set far enough in advance.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Re: Plans for UConn hockey outdoor game

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...,7713770.story

This is being spun up by Howard Baldwin. If you know my stance with UConn hockey you'll know that i'm not terribly optimistic but we'll see how it goes... I'm probably on the hook to attend this game as the date will be set far enough in advance.
    sorry, but a big yawn for that. i can't understand why UConn and Syracuse are not big players in D1 hockey, but they aren't. i guess they have bigger fish to fry...............if they wanted to i bet it wouldn't take too long to be in the mix with the big guys, just like football at UConn, from no where, seemingly they matter now, quickly

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
      sorry, but a big yawn for that. i can't understand why UConn and Syracuse are not big players in D1 hockey, but they aren't. i guess they have bigger fish to fry...............if they wanted to i bet it wouldn't take too long to be in the mix with the big guys, just like football at UConn, from no where, seemingly they matter now, quickly
      I'm not going to bother to rehash this... I spent five years of my 20s at UConn... it ain't happening.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Any idea/rumor of who they might play?

Comment

Only chance of a crowd is if they get BC.
          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
            Probably someone in league, as I am reasonably sure all the non-con games UConn has for the year have already been accounted for (although I can only confirm 5 at this moment: 1 @ Maine, 1 @ Union, 2 @ RPI's tournament and the winner of Princeton-Niagara in the UConn hockey classic, as the first round of that event is typically scheduled to be a league game for UConn).

In all likelihood, it'll be whoever UConn was going to play on that date anyway, just transferred from Frietas to Rentschler.
            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

If they wanted to draw a crowd then I'd say go for UMASS. BC played an outdoor game to recently. East Hartford isn't to far away from the UMASS campus and UMASS seems to have a decent following. Only other teams that I think might draw well for it are Army and maybe Air Force. Actually I would be in favor of Army or Air Force hosting an outdoor game against each other.

Comment

Maybe UConn should invite Penn State or Syracuse to play the outdoor game.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                  If they wanted to draw a crowd then I'd say go for UMASS. BC played an outdoor game to recently. East Hartford isn't to far away from the UMASS campus and UMASS seems to have a decent following. Only other teams that I think might draw well for it are Army and maybe Air Force. Actually I would be in favor of Army or Air Force hosting an outdoor game against each other.
                  UConn doesn't have hockey fans, so people will show up on name value. UMass is largely ignored by UConn fans, BC will bring in people, maybe a western team like Michigan, but BC is the big one for them. Frankly, this is a terrible idea.
                  time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                    Only chance of a crowd is if they get BC.
                    and there is ZERO chance BC would ever do it..... no way they would ever help UConn grow it's hockey program

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                      Local news last night was reporting Sacred Heart for the men and Providence for the women.

Comment

Jeez, that is going to be a disaster. Maybe they can get the Wolfpack involved? Could they sell enough tix with those two opponents to even break even for the cost of doing this?
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

It costs $250,000 just to set up the outdoor ice...

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            It costs $250,000 just to set up the outdoor ice...
                            According to the article there's an outdoor rink at Rentschler Field (which I wasn't aware of myself).

A UConn doubleheader is among the games planned for next February at the outdoor rink at Rentschler Field.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              I'm not going to bother to rehash this... I spent five years of my 20s at UConn... it ain't happening.
                              if it ain't happening, why are they bothering with an outdoor game at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X