D-I Outlook for 2010-2011: Offseason Musings and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-I Outlook for 2010-2011: Offseason Musings and Beyond

The "Commitments" thread has had discussion recently about the impact of recent verbals on the balance of power in D-I next year. There really isn't an appropriate thread for that topic right now, so I thought I'd start one.

Yes, BU figures to be vastly improved next year. The same with teams that missed the NCAAs this year like UND, BC, and Wisconsin. Northeastern and Providence have cause for optimism. Niagara and Syracuse were on the upswing. Harvard and Clarkson have strong recruiting classes. All of the Frozen Four teams have reason to believe they will be better next season. UNH may be the one top team that could be losing more impact that they are gaining right out of the gate, and if their depth improves, they may improve overall as well.

Obviously, all of these teams can't move forward in terms of W/L record. Any thoughts on who will rise, who will fall, or anything else about the D-I picture for the coming year?
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Re: D-I Outlook for 2010-2011: Offseason Musings and Beyond

There is one team that will shock the nation. I'll get back to you. Don't have the yarbles to disclose it at this time. Too much at stake.

Comment

UNH will be short on experience next year to say the least of scoring, especially with the loss of Wakefield. Goaltending is also an issue.

As I said in the UNH thread, both the men's and women's teams seem to be having troubles with admissions.

The losses for the men's program have been more publicly been attributed to a failure to gain admission, but it is also suspicious that with Coach Mac's reputation as a recruiter, that suddenly UNH can't seem to land any of the big names. And there are stories floating around about high profile recruits initially showing interest in UNH, only to inexplicably drop them suddenly.

If the issue with admissions is true, this could be a rough time for UNH, as they aren't going to compete with the Ivies for recruits seeking the best academics, but also can't land players who may have academic question marks.
      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
        UNH will be short on experience next year to say the least of scoring, especially with the loss of Wakefield. Goaltending is also an issue.

As I said in the UNH thread, both the men's and women's teams seem to be having troubles with admissions.

The losses for the men's program have been more publicly been attributed to a failure to gain admission, but it is also suspicious that with Coach Mac's reputation as a recruiter, that suddenly UNH can't seem to land any of the big names. And there are stories floating around about high profile recruits initially showing interest in UNH, only to inexplicably drop them suddenly.

If the issue with admissions is true, this could be a rough time for UNH, as they aren't going to compete with the Ivies for recruits seeking the best academics, but also can't land players who may have academic question marks.
        UNH indeed has an impressive history of landing top tier talent. However, can you be certain that it was Coach McCloskey's reputation and recruitment skill that was responsible for landing all that top tier talent? Or is it also possible that it was essentially all the top tier talent itself that became the draw, i.e. winning begets more winning?

I agree with you that UNH may be in for a more difficult challenge ahead given some of the issues you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
          UNH indeed has an impressive history of landing top tier talent. However, can you be certain that it was Coach McCloskey's reputation and recruitment skill that was responsible for landing all that top tier talent?
          I'm talking about Coach Mac's reputation, which was built on the men's side.

The men's team does not have the same history as the women's, and Coach Mac came to the team in a down period. His recruiting is widely acknowledged to have brought the program back to prominence (Krog, Haydar, etc), and those who follow recruiting have noticed a definite downward trend since Coach Mac left for the women's program.

EDIT: And while I certainly agree with the "winning begets winning," the story around Karen Kay and UNHs (relative) down period prior to Coach Mac, was that she thought the program and it's tradition would recruit itself. That she didn't put forth the effort, basically figuring the top recruits would come banging down her door. With the growth of the Ivies and the western teams that just didn't happen.

So in UNHs case, it would seem that the winning tradition wasn't enough to maintain the high level of recruiting, and yet it improved markedly when Coach Mac took over. It's only in the past couple years that it seems UNH is missing on the big fish. Given the men's more public problems, it would appear that admissions might be one of the culprits.
          In fact, many fans of the men's team have expressed a desire to usher Umile out, hoping to entice Coach Mac back to the other side. Coach Mac, however, has said the women's job will be his last.
          Last edited by freak; 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM.
          113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Trillium,

Re: your rep.....were you referring to the Fenway game?
            113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
              Trillium,

Re: your rep.....were you referring to the Fenway game?
              Yes, partly.

Comment

It will be an interesting mix at UMD this fall. The returning Olympians can't just walk back in and consider themselves untouchable just because they played in the Olympics. They're returning to a defending national champion team with a lot of younger players hungry to repeat, so there will be competition. I like that.

Haley Irwin has her Olympic gold medal and a new reputation as a player who enjoys a fine cigar and a can of Molson after a win. The Swedes played for the Olympic bronze. Two of the returning Swedes, Holmlov and Winberg, won the Swedish national championship the same day as UMD won the NCAA version, so they're not returning to Duluth completely empty-handed. (Jenni Asserholt wanted to switch from defense to forward so chose to stay in Sweden. She signed a three-year contract with a Swedish first division team.) Kim Martin has stiff competition in Jenny Harss. That's going to be interesting to watch.

All in all, with a few new players coming in who I know extremely little about but also knowing that Coach Miller recruits pretty good players, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming season. I would've been happy with a .500 record this past season and look what they did. Now I'm scared to make any predictions. And there's the new arena to play in for the second half of the season, too. Is it October yet?

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                  Kim Martin has stiff competition in Jenny Harss. That's going to be interesting to watch.
                  Six months ago, I think most of us assumed that the Bulldogs would be much better in 2010-2011 than in 2009-2010. Then Larocque returned, Harss adjusted quickly, and Blais took her game to another level. Now it looks like UMD will still improve, but not to the same extent. Harss was very effective playing every game, so adding Martin back into the mix doesn't leave as much room for improvement. The blue line may be able to get back to the same level, but I doubt that corps improves given you have to replace Rasmussen. You'll be more talented up front, but Touminen was important for team chemistry and Blais was great at giving the 'Dogs what they needed, when they needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    but I doubt that corps improves given you have to replace Rasmussen. .
                    I Dunno... the TBay factor is big. I'd take Irwin any day as a replacement and McPharland will be a strong add in the rookie department.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      I Dunno... the TBay factor is big. I'd take Irwin any day as a replacement and McPharland will be a strong add in the rookie department.
                      Irwin has always played forward at Duluth.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Irwin has always played forward at Duluth.
                        Oops...Good Point....I was thinking players in general without looking at position....

UMD will be good again next year, no doubt in my mind on that, but at first glance, without checking out all the changes in detail, suggests that Wisco will improve drastically and ND is hauling in some serious talent.

IMHO, the more interesting shifts of power are happening in the East.
                        Last edited by OnMAA; 05-21-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Anyone got their pre season top 10?
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                            Anyone got their pre season top 10?
                            hmm...I think there are arguements to be made for a lot of teams. I would rank the preseason top 8 as UMD, Mercyhurst, UMinn, Cornell, BU, Clarkson, Harvard and UW (not in order). It then it gets more merky, with UND, BC, Providence, UConn or Syracuse being strong contenders.
                            Last edited by mattj711; 05-22-2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                              hmm...I think there are arguements to be made for a lot of teams. I would rank the preseason top 8 as UMD, Mercyhurst, UMinn, Cornell, BU, Clarkson, Harvard and UW (not in order). It then it gets more merky, with UND, Providence, UConn or Syracuse being strong contenders.
                              Pretty good call I'd say.

I asked, rather than just posted my own because I could only come up with eight...the same as your initial eight listed. I can see Providence and Syracuse playing with the top ten in 2010-2011 also. UND...maybe, but in that case, I think OSU might warrant consideration...but I think both could be edged out of a pre season rank by eastern teams...UCONN, BC, UNH.

Throughout the season I guess I wouldn't expect to see any of the other WCHA teams cracking the top ten with the strength in the East. Maybe Quinni of the CHA though.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X