Project 70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 70

I'm taking a riff on the "should college hockey grow" thread. I started thinking... well, with all this talk shouldn't there be a "next threshold" goal... loosely, within college hockey. College hockey held at about 42-44 teams or so until the abandonment of the D-II championship AND the implementation of a rule that required D-I schools to field only D-I teams in their sponsored sports. In between now and then most of the expansion (or contraction for that matter) has been occasional with varying degrees of success. This is to say that college hockey hasn't had much of an explicit expansion period and that which did occur was brought about through other circumstances.

So... say one were to put their feelers out. What kind of information would you want to gather on schools to judge which ones would be apt to make the jump? Could we get some form of inside look either from club athletes or others who know the place/school/region better? Which schools really aren't in Title IX trouble?

I'm just throwing this out there. I figure there's enough club hockey players and former players that if one really wanted a large national assessment on the cheap it could be done.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Re: Project 70

IMO, it's more about conferences than Title IX.

Bear with me here. Title IX dictates (IIRC) that equal opportunities are for both sexes. So if one fields a college hockey team for men, one could satisfy the Title IX requirement by fielding a women's softball team, for example. Please correct me if I am wrong on this, as it is a main component for the rest of my post.

So, let's say Penn St decides to go D1 in hockey. Where do they go for a conference? If you follow the dollar (a big belief of mine and many others in the sports world), that would be the start of the cliched/forboden/etc BTHC. That is one team closer to that formation, and resulting in some mid-level teams (SCSU, MSU-M, etc) possibly eventually folding.

In other words, the threshold isn't how many more teams, it's how many more teams, where they ended up, and would added teams eventually result in the shrinking of the college hockey world. We would have subtraction by addition in the west, whch is about 50% of the college hockey world (in money/fame) as we know it.

If one could get the club teams (from what I have learned through here is mostly midwest) to have their own conference, than I'd say the total team threshold resides around 70, yes. If those teams result in a push for conference realignment........I think that threshold DROPS to 50 or so. Best case, in a few years, to allow for dwindling attendance/$$$ until schools finally give up on their programs.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If there was a period of expansion where schools had the money and everything else needed to start programs other "major" college's in MN start D1 programs, Moorhead, morris, SW state, Crookston, Winona and Rochester. With those you can add in NDSU and then that could be a halfway decent conference with SCSU, UND, UMD, BSU and MSU-Mankato. It would be twelve teams all with-in busing distance and there would be natural rivalries between most of them.This is what it could look like

While it would never realistically happen it would be cool to see and there are enough schools where up to four of them (probably Rochester, sw state, Morris and Winona if i had to pick the least likely) there would still be a decent conference with a large enough talent pool to choose from.
      Originally posted by Mankato student
      Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
      "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
      -- Peter Klein

Comment

It's interesting to note that with the addition of Auburn, the entire SEC now has club hockey. There are many markets within that conference that have had success at the minor pro level with teams that have actually outdrawn many of the D-I programs. Kentucky, LSU, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn and Alabama all would be very good draws in their markets and would garner tremendous sponsor and alumni support. No to the BTHC, Bring on the SECHC!!! Roll Tide!!!
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

If I recall correctly, there are three ways that you can comply with Title IX. You can have representation that is proportional to the percentage of each gender at the school; you can be making “satisfactory progress”; or you can show that you’ve satisfied all the demand for the underrepresented gender. The third is very difficult to establish. I’m guessing that any big time football school isn’t in compliance with the first, so they have to establish “satisfactory progress”. I doubt that even a gender neutral addition of sports (for example, starting mirror-image men’s and women’s hockey) is “satisfactory progress”.

One reason I’m not optimistic about SEC hockey is that it might have a negative effect on football (for example, donations that might go to building a new weight training facility instead going to construction of an ice rink or purchase of ice time), and that’s just never going to happen in the SEC. Club hockey, fine. That probably doesn’t even have to be gender neutral as long as you treat requests for support of men’s club hockey and women’s club hockey equally. But starting a D1 program is a different undertaking entirely.

Comment

There are a lot of pie-in-the-sky suggestions out there, some are feasible, most really aren't. The idea of an SEC hockey league at any time in the next 15-20 years is an example of the latter.

Last week Without a Peer (the RPI blog I maintain), broke down one Buffalo sportswriter's attempt to create a superleague of Buffalo-centric teams. We shot him down pretty good.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
              If I recall correctly, there are three ways that you can comply with Title IX. You can have representation that is proportional to the percentage of each gender at the school...
              Isn't the female/male ratio in college growing? Those goalposts will be moving further out over time.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                Isn't the female/male ratio in college growing? Those goalposts will be moving further out over time.
                Good point. DU is now 56% Female/ 44% Male, despite obvious attempts by Admissions to "even things up."

The Big Ten Expansion being discussed right now is only going to amp up the Football Arms race even more. Nebraska, Missouri and whomever else they add are joining because of Football. The inevitable shake-up throughout the major conferences will be based solely on Football marketability.

No way would any AD at a major school consider adding hockey in this turbulent environment.
                Last edited by dggoddard; 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  No way would any AD at a major school consider adding hockey in this turbulent environment.
                  In this economic environment, any state-school AD who added a D1 hockey program should be fired.
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I dont think you will see anyone add D1 hockey, unless it is a Big 10 school...and they would need to be pushed into by the others. College hockey is as big as it is going to be--- given Title IX and the finances of nearly all athletic depts

Comment

If I recall correctly, there are three ways that you can comply with Title IX. You can have representation that is proportional to the percentage of each gender at the school; you can be making “satisfactory progress”; or you can show that you’ve satisfied all the demand for the underrepresented gender. The third is very difficult to establish. I’m guessing that any big time football school isn’t in compliance with the first, so they have to establish “satisfactory progress”. I doubt that even a gender neutral addition of sports (for example, starting mirror-image men’s and women’s hockey) is “satisfactory progress”.

One reason I’m not optimistic about SEC hockey is that it might have a negative effect on football (for example, donations that might go to building a new weight training facility instead going to construction of an ice rink or purchase of ice time), and that’s just never going to happen in the SEC. Club hockey, fine. That probably doesn’t even have to be gender neutral as long as you treat requests for support of men’s club hockey and women’s club hockey equally. But starting a D1 program is a different undertaking entirely.
                      We pretty much realize that any one of these expansion proposals is pretty much pie in the sky. But I can say that if the application to join the CCHA had been sent from Tuscaloosa instead of Huntsville, it would have carried alot greater weight.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

What if they got support from the local hockey teams? In the discussions about the possibility of hockey in California Paul Kelly mentioned the 3 teams in the state had expressed interest in helping to create new teams there. What if the Southern NHL teams did the same? This money would only be going toward hockey, it wouldn't be at the expense of any other program at these schools.

The other problem is of course that the SEC league is ACHA D3, so moving up to full NCAA D1 status would take some time I'd imagine (though I am not too familiar with those rules).

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                          What if they got support from the local hockey teams? In the discussions about the possibility of hockey in California Paul Kelly mentioned the 3 teams in the state had expressed interest in helping to create new teams there. What if the Southern NHL teams did the same? This money would only be going toward hockey, it wouldn't be at the expense of any other program at these schools.

The other problem is of course that the SEC league is ACHA D3, so moving up to full NCAA D1 status would take some time I'd imagine (though I am not too familiar with those rules).
                          I wouldn't think that there would be any difference among ACHA D1, D2, or D3 teams moving into NCAA D1. In any case, it is unlikely that the current players would make a significant difference.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            I'm taking a riff on the "should college hockey grow" thread. I started thinking... well, with all this talk shouldn't there be a "next threshold" goal... loosely, within college hockey. College hockey held at about 42-44 teams or so until the abandonment of the D-II championship AND the implementation of a rule that required D-I schools to field only D-I teams in their sponsored sports. In between now and then most of the expansion (or contraction for that matter) has been occasional with varying degrees of success. This is to say that college hockey hasn't had much of an explicit expansion period and that which did occur was brought about through other circumstances.

So... say one were to put their feelers out. What kind of information would you want to gather on schools to judge which ones would be apt to make the jump? Could we get some form of inside look either from club athletes or others who know the place/school/region better? Which schools really aren't in Title IX trouble?

I'm just throwing this out there. I figure there's enough club hockey players and former players that if one really wanted a large national assessment on the cheap it could be done.
                            If you're really serious about this, you would be focusing on schools that could help anchor a newer league by themselves, with some of the smaller local schools more than happy to play that bigger name school. Syracuse, Penn State and Kentucky are 3 schools that could easily help to establish a new conference right between the CCHA and the ECAC. You get 2 of those 3 to start up a program along with say Ohio State, Miami, and BGSU to join, thats five good decent programs right there to build a league around. Alabama-Huntsville wouldn't mind being in that league, especially if Kentucky is in the mix. Niagara and Robert Morris wouldn't mind home games with a name like Syracuse and Penn State coming to town. Mercyhurst would be hard pressed to not want to jump to a league that would have OSU and PSU in it, same probably goes for Canisius as well.

Either way you slice it, a league like that would be far more stable than what the CHA ever was, and it would probably take it a while for the league as a whole to be thought of as a major player in College Hockey, it would go a long ways to at least opening up College Hockey to fielding 60 programs. the 3 Ohio schools would leave the current CCHA with only 8 teams; ND, Alaska, and all of the Michigan Schools except for Michigan Tech. Makes it a nice little bus league for the most part, and could easily handle an addition of another two programs, say Grand Valley State, and another Michigan school, or heck, even a Southern Ontario school wants into the NCAA. University of Windsor is right across from Detroit, and well, I'm pretty sure most Hockey players already have a passport.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

All it takes is a few dominoes in one direction to get a fairly significant number of new programs.

Like others have noted: get some of the Pac-10, SEC or Big-12 schools involved, and I'm sure we'd be impressed to find out what other schools would do to become affiliated with them.

But, the hurdles that need to be cleared for that to happen are significant.

I'm going back and forth over what would be more likely:

- Several programs outside the typical geographic footprint start up and form their own conference. (The PTHC or SECHC scenario). We go from 58 to 66-70 programs overnight. Or,

- Schools more or less within our geographic footprint and with the means to have an arena available find a way to give hockey a try. (The Penn State/Syracuse/Navy scenario) In this case, getting to even 64 or 65 schools would be a major accomplishment.

All this assuming we don't lose some smaller schools along the way.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X