PDA

View Full Version : Colgate Univ offseason speculations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

sshablak
09-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Great posts GR and Gate93...Personally I can't help but think our young defensemen will be even better this year(last year's frosh) They were playing much better at the end of the season.

Of course the last line of our defense is you know who !! Don said Mihalik(sp) is going to be very good, might need a little time though.

Good luck on your exam results tomorrow !! Beat the Orange !! Yikes

'Gate Radio
09-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Colgate - Didn't realize how bad our goaltending really was from a statistical standpoint - 10/11 in GAA and 9/11 in Save % (Long better on paper in both regards) - Tending did seem a bit better later (10 of 14 games where opponents scored 2 or fewer goals last year came after January 1) and one would hope more experience at defense will help this year on that front. With DV carrying 4 goalies this year, hopefully we can improve last year's glaring weakness. Otherwise, excited about the returning forwards (Bourdon is the #2 returning soph scorer from last year behind only Yale's Williams and Larkin is in the top 10). Hopefully our defense can stay healthy! 7 on the roster when 6 play seems tight - maybe a few of the glut of forwards can skate back? Our losses seem limited - McIntyre obviously a big hit but Williams and Long eminently replaceable and Carty was limited to only 20 games last year (can't remember if that was injury related or not.)

I think the losses of Williams and Cox will hurt a lot more than people think. Sure, they didn't put up a lot of fancy numbers in terms of goals and points but in the grit, heart and leadership category those two were off the charts. Both logged a lot of minutes and racked up heavy penalty kill minutes last year. With McIntyre also gone, that leaves a bit of a void in the special teams department on the PK - a unit which has been a real sore spot at times over the last few years. Smith and Day are both solid penalty killers but who will join them?

I'm not as much worried about the goaltending. Evin was the clear number one when he came back from the groin injury suffered in December at Union. He was pulled a few times in the second half of the season but came up strong when he had to late in the year. I think some of his woes could be attributed to a young defense and guys not always making the correct play - whether it be a defenseman or forward. A year older, wiser and healthier (McNamara and Poplawksi back after full seasons), the defensive group should be better and that should cut down mistakes and help the goaltenders.

ColSkate65
09-23-2010, 08:28 PM
I think the losses of Williams and Cox will hurt a lot more than people think. Sure, they didn't put up a lot of fancy numbers in terms of goals and points but in the grit, heart and leadership category those two were off the charts. Both logged a lot of minutes and racked up heavy penalty kill minutes last year. With McIntyre also gone, that leaves a bit of a void in the special teams department on the PK - a unit which has been a real sore spot at times over the last few years. Smith and Day are both solid penalty killers but who will join them?

Gotta ditto GR's remarks. Williams gave 110% when he played - very solid and tough. You don't replace a Hockey Humanitarian Award winnner like Cox very often. One might scoff at this statement, but it was as much the intangibles that Ethan brought to the game as his skill level, that made him a great player IMO. He had the kind of "heart" that made those around him better on and off the ice. Sure, he wasn't a DMac, but he was a catalyst.

Gate93
09-24-2010, 08:35 PM
First, want to assure everyone I did not mean to minimize the intangible contributions of either Williams or Cox. I was referring solely to the goal scoring side of things (and even then did mean to mention that my gut was that Williams scored at some really opportune times last year). No doubt they will be missed on the ice and in the locker room. Chemistry is huge in hockey (even at the C level old mens level I play in.) But grit and heart can't be neutralized by better/faster defenses the way goal scoring capabilities can so in a way they are easier to replace. I have always felt like DV's teams are characterized by that 110% type of attitude even if the skill levels haven't always been a match for the competition. Obviously the attitudes and commitment of departing players will need to be replaced but I guess I just have faith that Colgate will have those guys year in and year out.

Our penalty kill last year was pretty anemic so if we get worse, we could be in big trouble. Interestingly, though we ranked a pretty weak 48th in penalty kill, we weren't in the bottom third in the ECAC. Despite the general perception on this board that the team takes too many penalties, Gate ranked 45th in that regard - in other words only 13 teams were penalized less. Maybe we just don't get enough practice on the kill! I am joking - except that Union and Princeton, two of the four ECAC teams worse than us on the PK were penalized even less than we were, and Dartmouth, also worse on the PK, averaged less than a minute more in penalties per game than we did (12.0 for 'Gate, 12.9 for the big green)

The other interesting special teams note is that our power-play - another source of teeth gnashing here was actually dead in the middle of the pack last year. What's more, a mere four additional goals would have put us in the top ten! Sure four more goals would have been nice, but I'm hard pressed to think of how those could have been parceled out across the games played to make us a substantially better team - unless you saved them all for the playoffs against St. Lawrence!

Finally, I am glad to hear someone who got to see more games than I has plenty of confidence in Evin. His save % was a more heartening .914 in 2010 though there were still a few clunkers - Yale, 3 in 7 minutes v. RoMo & 4 in the first 8 minutes against D'mouth (though he wasn't the only culprit in that one for sure!). While I agree that the additional experience at defense should help in net, I think Evin is going to need to step it up a notch for the team to reach the next level.

Regardless, I am excited about the coming season as I think we have probably the best overall talent we've had in quite some time.

Oh and thanks Shabby - passed - serious relief.

Gaterrooter
09-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I agree with Gate93.

The offense should be as good as last year if not better. Experienced D help the offense generate a quicker transition game in the neutral zone. We have very good team speed and some proven scorers.

The best thing for team chemistry is simple: winning.

'Gate Radio
09-27-2010, 08:31 PM
FYI, in case anyone missed this, I know I did. The home opener against Sacred Heart is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. on 10/30, not the regular time of 7:00 p.m. Only other early starts for now are the game against Boston College in the Dartmouth tournament (4:00 p.m.), the second game at Lake Superior State (5:00 p.m. EDT), the Silver Puck game with Quinnipiac (4:00 p.m.) and the ESPNU game with Princeton (4:00 p.m.).

Every game will be covered on the radio though both the start time of the Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac broadcasts may be pushed back because of football. At worst, we'll just join the game in progress during the first period.

Ralph Baer
09-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Tom Reale's preview of Colgate on Without a Peer http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/09/know-your-enemy-colgate.html.

sshablak
09-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Very nice...TY Ralph !

hockeyenthusiast
09-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey Shabby, I think it's time to create the 2010-2011 thread. But it's all up to you

Gaterrooter
09-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Legit practices start tomorrow. Let's fire up that new thread!

ColSkate65
09-30-2010, 07:13 PM
I see the Devils have placed D-Mac in Albany. This means those living in Central NY or the Capital region should be able to see him play there, or in Binghamton and/or Glens Falls......:)

Gaterrooter
10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I want to start talking lines but not sure I should be doing it on this thread.

Shabby?

Gaterrooter
10-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Last practice at Starr tonight before the boys head out tomorrow. Who's playing with who?

ColSkate65
10-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Gaterrooter - go over to the regular season thread to post, started by Shabby on 10/2 - "Colgate 2010-2011"

Gaterrooter
10-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Always the last to know!!
THX