PDA

View Full Version : Colgate Univ offseason speculations

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

'Gate Radio
09-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Princeton sure is getting a lot of ESPNU exposure; I know we played this same national game last year.

I'm not able to see the TV schedules from where I am posting, but is our match at Starr going to be on TWCS again this coming up year?

Good question. Possibly it will be on though given the early January date, I'm not sure. If I had to wager, I'd say yes simply because the Colgate-RPI game at Starr has been shown the last two years (different weekend though).

'Gate Radio
09-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Alright, it's time I s'pose I stop slacking off.

http://gogatehockey.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/gogatehockey

Gaterrooter
09-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks GR. I like the Twitter addition as well.

Any word on the injured frosh?

sshablak
09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The frosh that hurt his ankle is Mcnamara...not sure how bad it is .

DLG
09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
There are plenty of tickets for the cape cod game at the box office in Hyannis
I purcahsed tickets there Saturday

Puck Swami
09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
As a matter of fact, both should have spent another year. If they developed so much in that one year, why not leave them? At least that way you save an AHL salary and they continue to develop and get their degree at a fine institution

Actually it's long-term cheaper to NHL teams to sign players early, so the early entry level contract means that the free agency clock starts a year earlier, so the financial impact of the second NHL contract ("the big ticket') is mitigated.

In other words, from an NHL perspective, it's better to pay $50(AHL) to 600 (NHL) now than an extra year of $3 million or more, etc. when the entry level contract is up. Addtionally, by sigining the player, you also mitigate the risk of him signing with another NHL team as a UFA after Aug. 15 of his senior year, and you also get to develop the player in your system with your coaches, playing the roles you want him to play.

Gaterrooter
09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
GR,
I really have to give you a couple of "Atta Boys" for the Blog. Really well done.

Gaterrooter
09-09-2010, 07:01 AM
When is the 1st day that the team can practice according to the NCAA?

FlagDUDE08
09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
When is the 1st day that the team can practice according to the NCAA?

We were talking about this on our threads, and it's the first week in October when the coaching staff may get involved in practices with the entire team. There may be allowances for a couple players at a time; I can't remember. However, this does not stop the team's captain from "getting his buddies together" to have a "practice".

Gaterrooter
09-09-2010, 07:06 PM
I wonder how the NCAA polices that policy since every D1 team has been on the ice since the day they set foot on campus.

Wicked Slappaahs
09-09-2010, 07:20 PM
It's not that hard to sort out...coaches can't be on the ice for practices...so they are there for the muster and stretching, then the captains take over and run the workouts...its actually good for team moral and bonding... before the coaches start getting in their grills on Oct 1..., ha ha

sshablak
09-11-2010, 06:32 AM
1990 1995 2000 2005 2010

Gaterrooter
09-13-2010, 06:37 PM
PC hockey assistant resigns
9:21 AM Mon, Sep 13, 2010 | Permalink
Mike McDermott Email Write the first comment

With the first game of the season just over three weeks away, Providence College assistant men's hockey coach Stan Moore has resigned, according to the U.S. Hockey Report.

Moore, 54, who was out recruiting for the Friars as recently as last weekend at a midget tournament in Marlboro, Mass., has been an assistant to head coach Tim Army since 2005.

Moore reportedly wants to be closer to his family. His wife is an associate dean at Colby College and their three young children attend school in Maine.

Moore was an assistant coach at Brown from 1985 to 1988 and at PC from 1988 to 1992. As a head coach, Moore is a two-time ECAC Coach of the Year, at Union in 1997 and Colgate in 2004.

Former PC star Devin Rask, an assistant at the University of Connecticut, reportedly has applied for the job.

The Friars opener is Oct. 8 against Northeastern at Schneider Arena.

hockeyenthusiast
09-14-2010, 07:33 AM
PC hockey assistant resigns
9:21 AM Mon, Sep 13, 2010 | Permalink
Mike McDermott Email Write the first comment

With the first game of the season just over three weeks away, Providence College assistant men's hockey coach Stan Moore has resigned, according to the U.S. Hockey Report.

Moore, 54, who was out recruiting for the Friars as recently as last weekend at a midget tournament in Marlboro, Mass., has been an assistant to head coach Tim Army since 2005.

Moore reportedly wants to be closer to his family. His wife is an associate dean at Colby College and their three young children attend school in Maine.

Moore was an assistant coach at Brown from 1985 to 1988 and at PC from 1988 to 1992. As a head coach, Moore is a two-time ECAC Coach of the Year, at Union in 1997 and Colgate in 2004.

Former PC star Devin Rask, an assistant at the University of Connecticut, reportedly has applied for the job.

The Friars opener is Oct. 8 against Northeastern at Schneider Arena.

Not to be rude, but he USED to work at Colgate. Does it really matter?

sshablak
09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Stan helped our program immensly, his wife also worked for the Univ. I wouldn't mind him coming back...but he won't.

'Gate Radio
09-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Not to be rude, but he USED to work at Colgate. Does it really matter?

Yeah. I think so. He was the ECAC Hockey Coach of the Year in 2003-2004 at Colgate and was an assistant on two NCAA tournament teams. Sure, he has not been a part of the program since the middle portion of the last decade but his resignation at another school less than one month before the start of the season certainly deserves a mention on this board.

Gaterrooter
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
GR,

Question for you from the post on your blog. I was under the impression that the coaches could start practicing with the team 3.5 hours per week starting tomorrow. Do you know if that is correct?

Also, nothing in the blog on Jack Mac's injury status.

Thanks

'Gate Radio
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
GR,

Question for you from the post on your blog. I was under the impression that the coaches could start practicing with the team 3.5 hours per week starting tomorrow. Do you know if that is correct?

Also, nothing in the blog on Jack Mac's injury status.

Thanks

I'm not sure on the actual start date in terms of when coaches can interact with players in a practice setting. I know from the last few seasons that full-time practices with everyone involved do not start until almost the beginning of October. And that's what I was referring to.

In terms of the purported injury or any injuries for that matter, that's not something I will be writing a lot about on the blog. And especially not if the injury is just being reported on by a message board post. It's not something that I would guess players, parents and coaches want thrown around online. It's one thing if a guy is listed as being hurt in the game notes or that it is common knowledge that a player is out for the season. I'd rather not focus on that type of stuff and would rather write about other things. Just a personal preference.

Gaterrooter
09-15-2010, 07:17 AM
GR,

I appreciate you choosing not to write on injuries, understood.

sshablak
09-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Wagner has a pro stride and does not look like a frosh, will open some eyes this year. Team speed is very good, defense should be stronger as all the sophs have a year of experience now. We need for one of the goalies to step it up...that would help immensely. Optimism building here !!