Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Offseason '10: The Aftermath

On Nebraska:

I still can't believe this. Of all the schools they could've picked, isn't Nebraska the least prestigious? I know that football $$$$ is eventually the driving force here, but I was still convinced that academic integrity had something to do with it.

Shoot, even Mizzou would've been a better pick than Nebraska.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I hope at least Bucky returns next season to be our mascot so there is one familiar face at the Kohl Center.

In all seriousness, I was never as optimistic as others about Stepan returning. I just had a feeling they'd make a strong play for him. At least it wasn't on the eve of training camp and they can consider some options.
      Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
      2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
      2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
      Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        On Nebraska:

I still can't believe this. Of all the schools they could've picked, isn't Nebraska the least prestigious? I know that football $$$$ is eventually the driving force here, but I was still convinced that academic integrity had something to do with it.

Shoot, even Mizzou would've been a better pick than Nebraska.
        IMHO, NE makes more sense than MO because MO has nothing to bring to the table (other than the large TV markets) and NE has FB, which is king. UND makes WAY more sense, then you'd have enough for the B10 Hockey Conference.

I think it's funny how the B10 thought they were in control of expansion, then the Pac16, jumps in quickly and pulls the tablecloth out from under Delany. NE knew they were going to get dumped by the TX/OK teams for the PAC16, so they had to make their move now, which also screwed up Delany. And FU Delany for ignoring college hockey.

------------------------
        I'm not at all worried about the D if McD leaves, they will have plenty of quality D to play 3 pairs.

Jr Gardiner
        So Schultz
        Sr Johnson
        So Little
        So Rammer
        Jr Springer
        Fr Drake
        Fr Simonelli

There's 6 players with D1 experience and the top 4 are quality players.

On the F side, 1st Star, Lee, Smith are top end talent.
        Guys who should have breakout type years are Murray and Turnbull.
        Barnes has very good USHL #'s. He should be a 35 pt guy, like Smith was this year.

The big problem is there's only 2 lines of guys with experience, which leaves the other 2 lines with an untested or Fr.

The line combos are going to be very interesting to say the least.

Outlook for season....I don't think 5th place is out of the question. Very experienced goaltending and D, not so experienced F but with talented guys in the mix.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...the-league.php

Comment

Oh-oh! (Bad move, Bur. You can't win the tale of the tape.)
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJLvCM4j2mg
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJLvCM4j2mg
              Haha, yeah, luckily he won't see Pronger often. And he might have a shot if he goes the cheap route - and Pronger is one of only a few in the league I wouldn't mind getting a cheap shot.

Despite the first 2 championship games of "our" teams being heartbreaking (US losing to Canada for Gold, UW losing to BC), how lucky have we been this year? As Hawks fans, Wisconsin fans, and obviously US fans, the last few months have been something else. You almost start taking it for granted when they just keep making the finals.
              Last edited by aktick; 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                Haha, yeah, luckily he won't see Pronger often. And he might have a shot if he goes the cheap route - and Pronger is one of only a few in the league I wouldn't mind getting a cheap shot.

Despite the first 2 championship games of "our" teams being heartbreaking (US losing to Canada for Gold, UW losing to BC), how lucky have we been this year? As Hawks fans, Wisconsin fans, and obviously US fans, the last few months have been something else. You almost start taking it for granted when they just keep making the finals.
                My son's hockey team, of which I am a coach, won State also. I need to pinch myself, but I'm afraid I'll wake up.

The WJC was so much fun.

Comment

It's not like Pronger is likely to fight anyway. He'll just spear Burr when he thinks the refs aren't looking or maybe try and rob Adam's locker.

Funny how Pronger looked VERY average once the refs started calling some of his cheating. He's an all time tool.

Gotta love Adam Burish. NHL hockey has lost most of the personality that it once had. Adam's a throwback.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    IMHO, NE makes more sense than MO because MO has nothing to bring to the table (other than the large TV markets) and NE has FB, which is king. UND makes WAY more sense, then you'd have enough for the B10 Hockey Conference.

I think it's funny how the B10 thought they were in control of expansion, then the Pac16, jumps in quickly and pulls the tablecloth out from under Delany. NE knew they were going to get dumped by the TX/OK teams for the PAC16, so they had to make their move now, which also screwed up Delany. And FU Delany for ignoring college hockey.

------------------------
                    I'm not at all worried about the D if McD leaves, they will have plenty of quality D to play 3 pairs.

Jr Gardiner
                    So Schultz
                    Sr Johnson
                    So Little
                    So Rammer
                    Jr Springer
                    Fr Drake
                    Fr Simonelli

There's 6 players with D1 experience and the top 4 are quality players.

On the F side, 1st Star, Lee, Smith are top end talent.
                    Guys who should have breakout type years are Murray and Turnbull.
                    Barnes has very good USHL #'s. He should be a 35 pt guy, like Smith was this year.

The big problem is there's only 2 lines of guys with experience, which leaves the other 2 lines with an untested or Fr.

The line combos are going to be very interesting to say the least.

Outlook for season....I don't think 5th place is out of the question. Very experienced goaltending and D, not so experienced F but with talented guys in the mix.
                    I think the team will be a lot like the 2006/07 team. Good goaltending (though that team had GREAT goaltending) a solid D (though I'd say the 2010/11 version is better) and an immense lack of experience at forward (though Joudrey and Dowell were great senior leaders this team doesn't have, and Dowell had a lot of talent).

Not having seen Springer/Little/Johnson play on the blue line is basically an entire season, both excites me and worries me. Excited because a year of practice couldn't have hurt, but worried that to start the season they could have issues in the game setting which is nothing like practice.

At forward, I'd throw out these lines:

Murray/Smith/Turnbull
                    Clark/1st Star/Lee
                    Mersch/Dolan/Barnes
                    Johnson/Dahl/Little or Meuer

One thing the forwards lack most is leadership. Murray is the only upperclassmen returning who has filled the box score a decent amount last season. The seniors are lacking big time in offense. Dolan is a great 3rd line center, but Turnbull and Johnson have underperformed IMO. I wouldn't say they are untested though, I just think that until/if the lines gel that the team could struggle mightly to score some goals.

Stumble out of the gate, by the 2nd half pull it together and make a run for WCHA home ice and an NCAA berth. I think it is realistic, but the freshman will have to contribute at forward or the team will suffer.

Losing Stepan also means the team lost their best three centerman from last season, and I think that is significant as well. Guys will step up, but again early season struggles.

The schedule is favorable. The non-con w/ UAH, Canisius and UMASS help, no road trip to North Dakota, and four games against Tech.
                    Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                    Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                    Originally posted by UWisco
                    It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post

The schedule is favorable. The non-con w/ UAH, Canisius and UMASS help, and four games against Tech.
                      That 10-0 right there! Play .500 against everyone else and they are in the ncaa's no problem.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        We didn't have our cupboards raided as bad as Denver? Have ya seen who we've lost this offseason? Denvers losses don't hold a candle to ours.
                        Sorry, but I'd still give the edge to Denver. Cheverie, Colborne, Ruegsegger, Rakhshani, Wiercioch. Nobody else in the country had five guys that talented, and they lose all five of them at once, along with four other seniors who were all contributing players, all playing at least 28 games.
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

who are these idiots who post on the noalibis response page?

Seriously, if Eaves was angry at Stepan and told him so, don't you think that would hurt the chances of landing Z. Step? I do. Eaves is smart enough not to jeopardize that I feel.

and let's face it. Many, and I'd argue most, coaches have favorites and guys who never seem to leave the doghouse.

go over to ratpride on ice and you'll hear all about tony luciapet, etc.

good grief
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                            Sorry, but I'd still give the edge to Denver. Cheverie, Colborne, Ruegsegger, Rakhshani, Wiercioch. Nobody else in the country had five guys that talented, and they lose all five of them at once, along with four other seniors who were all contributing players, all playing at least 28 games.
                            No offense, but you are insane. A tie MAYBE, but no way they get the "edge."

Blake Geoffrion - HOBEY BAKER, 1st Team All American, 1st Team WCHA
                            Brenda Smith - Hobey Finalist, 1st Team All American, 1st Team WCHA, led all defensemen in scoring in the country
                            Derek Stepan - no "honors" to speak of other than he led the Badgers in scoring and lead the USA to a gold at the WJC as Captain
                            Ryan McDonagh - 2nd Team WCHA and arguably the best all around blue liner in the country (I'm assuming he's gone at this point)
                            Cody Goloubef - an very underrated blue liner who doesn't make mistakes and will have a long NHL career.

Two 1st round picks, three 2nd round picks.

I realize how talented that group from Denver is, but UW still has the #1 talent depletion to graduation/early signings.

That doesn't mention six seniors who played every night and were critical to the run to the finals. Michael Davies already signed a pro contract, and I put him up against Ruegsegger in talent. That makes six. Street, Bohmbach, Bendickson, all key pieces the team will sorely miss.

Not even close when you add those six players in.
                            Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                            Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                            Originally posted by UWisco
                            It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              who are these idiots who post on the noalibis response page? good grief
                              It's easy to hide behind the "anonymous" moniker.

STANLEY CUP QUESTION: I was watching a live stream of the rally/parade in Chicago. Before the Blackhawks were introduced, many Rockford members were introduced including Skille & Dowell. Were they just included as team members or will they be engraved on The Cup?

The estimated crowd was over 2 million people! Holy ****!!
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

It's easy to hide behind the "anonymous" moniker.

STANLEY CUP QUESTION: I was watching a live stream of the rally/parade in Chicago. Before the Blackhawks were introduced, many Rockford members were introduced including Skille & Dowell. Were they just included as team members or will they be engraved on The Cup?

The estimated crowd was over 2 million people! Holy ****!!
                                They will not get their names on the cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X