Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would you go?

Which school/program would you choose? If you were looking for:
    Financial Aid/Grant package (Canadian without much money)
    Best value you for your money
    Great Education (Pre-Law/Legal Studies)
    Good honest coaching and without over-recuiting
    Safe campus with good housing
    Western Canadian Junior A player researching DIII programs for the 2011 season. Need some extra help with so many schools/teams to look at.

Re: Where would you go?

This screams potential flame-fest.
    Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
    2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
    2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
    2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
    "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Based on the criteria an arguement could be made for most, if not all schools in Division III.
      LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

The SUNYACS give a good bang for the buck. I'm not sure how the Wisconsin State schools treat non residents. Same with the Mass. state schools. You may qualify for academic ar aid based on financial need at a private D III school. Go where you feel comfortable and try and get some independent info about the program other than the recruitment schpiel.

Comment

Originally posted by BCGuy View Post
          Great Education (Pre-Law/Legal Studies)
          I'd start with that. Any particular area of Law that he wants to get into? You can get pretty creative with this, like going for an engineering degree in undergrad to prep yourself for IP law.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
            The SUNYACS give a good bang for the buck. I'm not sure how the Wisconsin State schools treat non residents. Same with the Mass. state schools. You may qualify for academic ar aid based on financial need at a private D III school. Go where you feel comfortable and try and get some independent info about the program other than the recruitment schpiel.
            Mass State Schools -- if you're not from the Commonwealth, you're on your own.

Remember, D-III is based on need.
            I need a goaltender
            I need a defenceman
            I need a forward. (thanks to Jack Parker)
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

For me it would be UW-River Falls. They are by far the best DIII hockey program in Wisconsin (staying in Wisconsin would be important to me as long as I could end up with a competitive hockey program), and the western part of the state is a great location. Its kind of in a central location to the twin cities (Minny/St Paul), Madison and the northwoods of Wisconsin (it would be easy to head up north for a weekend of snowmobiling, ice fishing and pond hockey in the northwoods of Wisconsin).
              A Badger living in Buckeye country.
              Originally posted by MadCityRich
              He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
              "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                For me it would be UW-River Falls. They are by far the best DIII hockey program in Wisconsin (staying in Wisconsin would be important to me as long as I could end up with a competitive hockey program), and the western part of the state is a great location. Its kind of in a central location to the twin cities (Minny/St Paul), Madison and the northwoods of Wisconsin (it would be easy to head up north for a weekend of snowmobiling, ice fishing and pond hockey in the northwoods of Wisconsin).
                I understand everything you're saying with location, but the best DIII program in Wisconsin? Er... no.

BCGuy, start with academics. Find a school with a/the program you want, as well as some versatility with other programs if interests change.

After you narrow that down, think about location, aid, quality of the hockey team etc. But the foremost thing is the education, at least in my opinion. All the rest is secondary.

Comment

Depending on what type of law you want to go into you don't need to look for a pre-law program. Most of the time a Public Justice or Poli Sci program can serve as a good base for going to law school for civil or criminal law. If you're looking into patent law then an engineering program is where you'll want to look. Definitely start going through some websites and look at some academic reviews, maybe try to get a list of schools you'd like to look further into then assess what you want out of it athletically.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                    River Falls is not the best hockey program in Wisconsin. Location in relation to the Cities is good. But St. Norbert, Superior, Stout and Point have been the top teams to look for in recent years
                    UW-Stout Hockey 2009 Peters Cup Champions, and Home to the best fans in the land, the Devil's Advocates
                    UW-Stout Graduate 2011
                    "The Goalie Mask Guy"
                    D-1 College Team: Wisconsin Badgers
                    NHL Team: Detroit Red Wings

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post

Superior gives most international students the TAP waiver, which covers 85% of their out of state tuition costs, meaning that they would pay a little bit more than in state tuition, but not the full out of state. I think Stevens point has a very similar program.
                      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                        I think Stevens point has a very similar program.
                        UWSP might have at some point back in the day, but not anymore -- unless it's something that has gone into place very recently, which I highly doubt.
                        “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                        19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

If you're planning on going into law I'd suggest considering a school with a strong history, political science, economics or public/criminal justice program depending on what type of law you'd like to pursue. Pre-law isn't really necessary at all. In the SUNYAC I'd suggest academically Oswego, or Geneseo. Oswego has strong history, poli-sci and public justice programs, and while I think Geneseo is overrated, it is still a good academic school.

Comment

Best d-3 athletic I mean academic package, SNC and Norwich, no question about it.

Westscout

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                              I understand everything you're saying with location, but the best DIII program in Wisconsin? Er... no.
                              Originally posted by StoutHockeyFan44 View Post
                              River Falls is not the best hockey program in Wisconsin. Location in relation to the Cities is good. But St. Norbert, Superior, Stout and Point have been the top teams to look for in recent years
                              Check the records from last season, UW-RF had BY FAR the best record.
                              A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                              Originally posted by MadCityRich
                              He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                              Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                              "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                              X