Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Offseason Thread 2: Moving Forward by Booting Forwards

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    Why all the interest in having a freshman line? Isn’t the objective to have players who best complement one another, regardless of class?

During the 08-09 championship season, Connolly, Trivino and Saponari, didn’t skate together until the 14th game. McCarthy began the season as LW with Corey and Vinny. Then Trivino went out with an injury and McCarthy clicked with Yip and Bonino.

Three years earlier, BU finished with a freshman line that produced the OT GWG in the Hockey East title game, but Higgins, Lawrence and Yip didn’t become a line until the 18th game of the season.
    #12 the week before the '09 Frozen Four on being moved to a freshman line midseason: “You’re finally off a line where the guys are usually upperclassmen, and you almost feel pressure to give them the puck. When we’re put together, it’s like we can just play. It’s easier to communicate. If something goes wrong out there, we just talk to each other about what to do next. It’s not a problem.”

Higgins during that same week, looking back on his career “My freshman year playing with my good friends Brandon Yip and Jason Lawrence was one of my favorite experiences playing for BU. Being able to play with two of your classmates who you’re real close with makes you more relaxed out there and allows you to really enjoy the game and play your best."

That said I think there is a less than 50% chance of it happening this year because unlike those two years where the 3 top frosh forwards were all at a similar talent level there looks to be a large gap in talent from top two to the third, similar to the Class of 2011, which didn't have a freshman line.

Comment

Reading through people's speculation on line combos and defensive pairings I got to thinking about goaltending.

JP has all 3 returning with 2 years of eligibility and has stated he plans to bring in a goalie after this season.

Does this mean he cuts either Millan or Rollheiser after the season ends? I wouldn't think he'd have three scholarship tenders year after next.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
        Reading through people's speculation on line combos and defensive pairings I got to thinking about goaltending.

JP has all 3 returning with 2 years of eligibility and has stated he plans to bring in a goalie after this season.

Does this mean he cuts either Millan or Rollheiser after the season ends? I wouldn't think he'd have three scholarship tenders year after next.

Thoughts?
        I could be mistaken on Kraus, but Parker certainly made it sound as though he was treating next year as his senior year, and would not be back after. FL can confirm or refute that, as he was there as well, but I'm pretty sure Kraus is planning on graduating after next season, at least based on what Parker had to say.
        Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
          I could be mistaken on Kraus, but Parker certainly made it sound as though he was treating next year as his senior year, and would not be back after. FL can confirm or refute that, as he was there as well, but I'm pretty sure Kraus is planning on graduating after next season, at least based on what Parker had to say.
          I heard that too...I think FL may have posted but he doens't really have any impact on scholarships does he? I thought he was a walk on.

My point is that if JP brings in a scholarship goalie after next year that would leave them with three scholarship goalies so I assume he'd cut one of the seniors. I'd imagine if Kraus graduates they will find another walk on for his slot.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
            Yeah, that's the way I understood it as well. In that same conversation, he said he expects to have both Millan and Rollheiser here for four years. So if everything goes according to plan, it would be Millan, Rollheiser and a freshman in 2011-12.

I heard that too...I think FL may have posted but he doens't really have any impact on scholarships does he? I thought he was a walk on.

My point is that if JP brings in a scholarship goalie after next year that would leave them with three scholarship goalies so I assume he'd cut one of the seniors. I'd imagine if Kraus graduates they will find another walk on for his slot.
            I don't really see why having three scholarship goalies would be an issue. It's not the norm, but it's not unheard of either. If I'm not mistaken, BC will have three scholarship goalies this season.
            Last edited by Federal League; 06-09-2010, 09:59 PM.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I'd imagine if Kraus graduates they will find another walk on for his slot.
              Nope, it'll almost certainly be a scholarship goalie. BU had been one of the schools bidding for Sam Brittain, a top AJHL goalie who eventually signed with Denver for 2011, then accelerated when Chevrie left early.
              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                Nope, it'll almost certainly be a scholarship goalie. BU had been one of the schools bidding for Sam Brittain, a top AJHL goalie who eventually signed with Denver for 2011, then accelerated when Chevrie left early.
                I get that they will bring in a scholarship goalie.

I just didn't expect them to keep 3 scholarship goalies so my question was will Kraus go, be replaced by a walk-on and one of the scholarship seniors go and be replaced by a scholarship goalie?

When's the last time BU kept 3 scholarship goalies?

Comment

When's the last time BU kept 3 scholarship goalies?
                  05-06, I believe.

Comment

How many times has BU had three scholarship goalies?

Seems like a bit of overkill or is that because of the timing with both goalies being in the same class they need to have quality behind them? Don't want to bring in a scholarship freshman goalie and put him in to start...again.

Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                      How many times has BU had three scholarship goalies?
                      No idea how scholarships were divvied up, but in 92-93-Scott Cashman was a senior and Derek Herlofsky and J.P. McKersie were freshmen.

And in a different world, BU's 71-72 nat'l champs had four goalies. Dan Brady was All-American that year. Tim Regan was MOP of the NCAAs. Ed Walsh played a few games and was All-American the next season. Joe Robillard was also on the roster.

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                      Seems like a bit of overkill or is that because of the timing with both goalies being in the same class they need to have quality behind them?
                      Yes.
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

The real issue here is whether all three "scholarship" goalies are on scholarship in the same calendar year. Remember that not all scholarship players are on full 4 year rides. Some players are, others get 1 year or 2 or 3 out of four. Now it may be that the goalie you want requires a full 4 year ride to sign with BU, in which case BU could have 3 goalies on scholarship in Millan and Rollie's senior year. But I believe it's at least possible that you could have 3 "scholarship" goalies on the roster that year, when only 2 are actually getting the ride that year.

Comment

Imagine if Pat Kane had come to BU.

BLACKHAWKS!!! (Sorry CC)
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            Imagine if Pat Kane had come to BU.

BLACKHAWKS!!! (Sorry CC)
                            Pat Kane would not have been afforded the same luxuries facing Hockey East goaltenders as he was last night.

Congrats Bomber, that was a great series, and your guys deserved to win. I actually smiled watching them lift the Cup. It still stings, but hard not to like the 'Hawks.
                            Boston University 2009 Champs
                            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Where's Kennedy? Hope he can stop by in a few days and tell us all about his experiences with the Blackhawks since last night.

Hope they give you a ring, man...
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

A big congrats goes out to Paul Vincent, the Blackhawks skating and skills coach the past few years. Works with sevral of the BU and BC kids all summer, several going back to when they were 5 or 6. Jason Lawrence, John McArthy and others still skate with him all summer.

Great guy who has helped many achieve their dream.

Comment

Working...
                                X