Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Offseason Thread 2: Moving Forward by Booting Forwards

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Read them again and pay attention. I don't claim to have any legitimate first hand sources. If I did, I would not hesitate to mention names. I said I'd leave it up to those that apparently do have those sources.
    It's unfair to mention names until something becomes official. My issues with Hokyclown was his assertion that "someone HAD left" and I wanted him to use the kid's name (Lyles) to back up his claim. I'm glad he didn't mention the possible other one because it's not fair to the kid to do so.

Comment

*checks thread title*

Back to BU Hockey...

So anyone have predictions for "dark horse" candidates to step up their game? I'm thinking maybe Courtnall will get more comfortable with the level of the game and start to use his size a little bit. I wasn't impressed with him last year, but he has the pedigree and the size.
      "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Just a hunch, but I'll be watching Ryan Santana to see if he's gonna step up. Kid's got a good body, decent skating skills and from time to time last year showed fleeting signs of the "hair on fire" style that makes some guys very hard to play against. Not sure that a huge year of point production is in the offing, but he could be fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
          *checks thread title*

Back to BU Hockey...
          So who is the mystery BU player who hasn't been booted yet? It's been hinted at by Jack Parker but no name has been announced yet. Is Parker waiting to see if he can get a commitment from a replacement player before booting him?

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
            It's unfair to mention names until something becomes official. My issues with Hokyclown was his assertion that "someone HAD left" and I wanted him to use the kid's name (Lyles) to back up his claim. I'm glad he didn't mention the possible other one because it's not fair to the kid to do so.
            Fair enough. I'll leave this alone now...

Comment

I would think Gaudet can break out next year. He showed a good scoring touch.. He could lead the team in goals scored depending on his linemates and PP time ...

Comment

Originally posted by BU Ken View Post
                I would think Gaudet can break out next year. He showed a good scoring touch.. He could lead the team in goals scored depending on his linemates and PP time ...
                I would consider him to have "broken out" last year. No one expected him to perform anywhere near the level he did.
                "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by BU Ken View Post
                  Absolutely agree with this in every aspect. If he finds himself on the first or second line, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have a big impact on the offensive production.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreaster View Post
                    So who is the mystery BU player who hasn't been booted yet? It's been hinted at by Jack Parker but no name has been announced yet.
                    Are you referring to the player who will be suspended at the beginning of next season? Still have no idea who that player is or what the infraction was, only that somebody else will be suspended. Where have you heard another player will be booted?

As for darkhorses, Courtnall and Santana are both interesting candidates. If Courtnall can become at least above average in his D-zone coverage, his physical nature should make him a regular on the third or fourth line. As far as Santana goes, I could very, very easily see him doing exactly what Pereira did last year. He has the same tool-set –– great speed; a smart, aggressive style; and a penchant for forcing turnovers. Unfortunately, he also has a Pereira-like finishing touch*–– anybody else notice how terrible Pereira was on breakaways last year? He had at least 1-2 a game, and maybe scored on one or two of them all year.

Additionally, I think a summer of working with Mike Boyle could make Chiasson an absolute terror on the power play, especially with Warsofsky at lead-point. With a little more bulk and aggression, I think Chiasson could become a machine in front of the net, and nobody looks to capitalize on that more than Warsofsky.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Escobedo logging big, big minutes on the blue line. I see a lot of Brian Strait in him, and honestly wouldn't be shocked if he and Warsofsky operate like Strait and Gilroy did two years ago. If the forwards in front of them can do some finishing, I wouldn't be surprised if they matched that production, too.
                    Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hockey x2 View Post
                      Absolutely agree with this in every aspect. If he finds himself on the first or second line, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have a big impact on the offensive production.
                      It's not a real promising sign if BU is depending on Gaudet and Pereira for a bulk of its goal scoring next year. As well as they performed last year (and they deserve every bit of credit they get for that), those guys still aren't more than role players on a good team.

In the end, they're high-energy, complimentary guys who have great value on the third line because they're home-run threats who play great defense. Neither guy is particularly strong at running a set offense, and anybody hoping for 15+ goals out of either guy is probably asking a bit too much of them.
                      Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Noreaster View Post
                        So who is the mystery BU player who hasn't been booted yet? It's been hinted at by Jack Parker but no name has been announced yet. Is Parker waiting to see if he can get a commitment from a replacement player before booting him?
                        Can you please stop posting? I don't think any of your posts have contained anything that could possibly be mistaken for informative or intelligent. How you're in the green right now is beyond me. No one else is getting booted, and Parker hasn't hinted at crap. Now go away.

Anyway, breakout candidates... kind of depends on what your definition of breakout is. If you're looking for who's most likely to make the jump into the 30-point range, I'd say Chiasson and Trivino (depending on how long he's suspended) are your best bets. If you're looking for the next Zach Cohen or Gaudet (someone who could put up double-digit goals out of nowhere), I'd go with Gilroy or Santana. One player no one's really talking about who I expect to jump into the 20-25 point range is Megan.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

from USHL twitter feed - ushl Dubuque selects forward Vinny Saponari who played the last two seasons at Boston University

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                          HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                          HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                            from USHL twitter feed - ushl Dubuque selects forward Vinny Saponari who played the last two seasons at Boston University
                            Doesn't necessarily mean he's going, but the Brett Bennett route is certainly an option for him.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
                              Are you referring to the player who will be suspended at the beginning of next season? Still have no idea who that player is or what the infraction was, only that somebody else will be suspended. Where have you heard another player will be booted?

As for darkhorses, Courtnall and Santana are both interesting candidates. If Courtnall can become at least above average in his D-zone coverage, his physical nature should make him a regular on the third or fourth line. As far as Santana goes, I could very, very easily see him doing exactly what Pereira did last year. He has the same tool-set –– great speed; a smart, aggressive style; and a penchant for forcing turnovers. Unfortunately, he also has a Pereira-like finishing touch*–– anybody else notice how terrible Pereira was on breakaways last year? He had at least 1-2 a game, and maybe scored on one or two of them all year.

Additionally, I think a summer of working with Mike Boyle could make Chiasson an absolute terror on the power play, especially with Warsofsky at lead-point. With a little more bulk and aggression, I think Chiasson could become a machine in front of the net, and nobody looks to capitalize on that more than Warsofsky.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Escobedo logging big, big minutes on the blue line. I see a lot of Brian Strait in him, and honestly wouldn't be shocked if he and Warsofsky operate like Strait and Gilroy did two years ago. If the forwards in front of them can do some finishing, I wouldn't be surprised if they matched that production, too.
                              I agree that Chiasson could have a big breakout year with a summer of strength work with Boyle.

One guy I think can step up and be more impactful is Megan. There were flashes last year and I can see him becoming much more consisstent as a soph.

Lastly, we've been waiting for Ruikka and if he can get healthy I'm hoping he provides a pleasant surprise on the blue line where we are very short on depth.

Comment

There's no way the NCAA will grant him a waiver to play this coming year, right?

I mean he could ask for it, but I doubt he will get it.
                                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                                X