Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Offseason Thread 2: Moving Forward by Booting Forwards

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    Was there any other option?
    It ticks me off that they play this song at Fenway and other random sporting events. The BU band is one thing because it's a hockey game, and the song is supposed to be played by a band, but seeing the pink hat sox fans doosey around to this irks me. On the same wave, what was with the sudden emergence of people wearing whalers gear at various games this season? Not just at Agganis, I saw it at the Beanpot, Matthews, Conte, on the street, etc. Is wearing "old school" Whaler gear the new cool thing to do? Associating yourself with a perennial loser is cool?
    time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      So, when the Bruins scored with exactly 1.00 on the clock last night, how many thought 59 seconds?
      I said that they scored .5 seconds too early . It is really quite amazing how many games in the past 13 months have reminded me of some part of that game.

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
      Is wearing "old school" Whaler gear the new cool thing to do? Associating yourself with a perennial loser is cool?
      In my high school a couple bros wore Whaler's sweatshirts with their birkenstocks and backwards polo hats, so apparently yes.

And for all you Bruin's fans on the verge of insanity with this series: One of the single events that has improved my fandom (word?) the most was being a Yankees fan in a MA public school during the 2004 ALCS. And wearing Yankees garb to school after game 7 and smiling with every comment sure was an interesting experience to

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
        And for all you Bruin's fans on the verge of insanity with this series: One of the single events that has improved my fandom (word?) the most was being a Yankees fan in a MA public school during the 2004 ALCS. And wearing Yankees garb to school after game 7 and smiling with every comment sure was an interesting experience to
        One of my friends did this, too. I give you and him credit. In 2003, I couldn't bring myself to wear Sox gear to school until spring training started. Never mind had I been in NY. All that said, I'm sure it was a great experience, but I'd rather not have the B's make like the '04 Yanks.

On an unrelated note, Mankato's schedule confirms the Shillelagh is 1/1 and 1/2, not 12/30 and 12/31 like Mookie had said.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

One of my friends did this, too. I give you and him credit. In 2003, I couldn't bring myself to wear Sox gear to school until spring training started. Never mind had I been in NY. All that said, I'm sure it was a great experience, but I'd rather not have the B's make like the '04 Yanks.
          It's not that it was a great experience (it only could have been worse if game 7 was a nail-biter). It's more of a character/perspective shift, you can't explain it unless you live it, but yes I'm sure you don't want to live it. And I was gonna take crap from everyone either way (already had before I went to bed that night) so I might as well do it in team colors.

On an unrelated note, Mankato's schedule confirms the Shillelagh is 1/1 and 1/2, not 12/30 and 12/31 like Mookie had said.
          1/1 Shillelagh vs. Minnesota St-Mankato O
          1/2 Shillelagh vs. Brown/Notre Dame O
          Agganis: 2
          Mookie: 0

Comment

Agganis: 2
            Mookie: 0
            ******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSZ6k3QIsAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSZ6k3QIsAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

In my high school a couple bros wore Whaler's sweatshirts with their birkenstocks and backwards polo hats, so apparently yes.
                This was public school?

Comment

It ticks me off that they play this song at Fenway and other random sporting events. The BU band is one thing because it's a hockey game, and the song is supposed to be played by a band, but seeing the pink hat sox fans doosey around to this irks me. On the same wave, what was with the sudden emergence of people wearing whalers gear at various games this season? Not just at Agganis, I saw it at the Beanpot, Matthews, Conte, on the street, etc. Is wearing "old school" Whaler gear the new cool thing to do? Associating yourself with a perennial loser is cool?
                  Whalers won a title more recently than the B's: 1972-73 AVCO World Trophy.
                  The early 70's were great days for hockey in Boston: 1970 Stanley Cup; 1971 NCAA Title BU, 1972 NCAA Title BU and Stanley Cup, and '73 WHA Title. In addtion Boston Braves in AHL 71/72 and 72/73 meant the Garden was hopping.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsFan93 View Post
                    This was public school?
                    Yep, bros were definitely a small minority in my school, but they are no longer quarantined to private schools, in my neck of the woods at least.

Comment

Is wearing "old school" Whaler gear the new cool thing to do? Associating yourself with a perennial loser is cool?

I think it's OK as long as:

a.) you were/are a true fan of The Whale

and

b.) Your gear was purchased when the team still played so as not to be "Nouveaux retro"

It dismays me to no end that they are making and selling new Whalers gear.
                      I'm from CT and was a huge fan of The Whalers. Yes they weren't very good. There weren't too many Whale fans which is what made us almost a cult. Until recently I could wear my Whalers hats or Andrew Cassels jersey (perhaps the most underrated center ever) out and other Whale fans would come up to me and talk about the team. That's something that would never happen with fans of the Bruins or Red Wings.

I wore my jersey to the most recent Bruins - Pens game and had about 30 people ask me where I bought it. When I said, "At the Hartford Civic Center in 1995.", They looked bummed. One guy even tried to buy it off my back. No sale, you can't purchase cool.

I was at the last game at The Mall in 1997 and watched BU lose a heartbreaker to NoDak later that afternoon at Coach's Bar in Hartford. A rough day for me indeed.

As an aside I have a Whalers jersey that I got signed by Kevin Dineen, Andrew Cassels, Geoff Sanderson, Keith Primeau, Kent Manderville, Kevin Haller, Steve Chiasson, Sean Burke, Jason Muzzati, Robert Kron, Nelson Emerson, and Curtis Leschyshyn prior to the last game.

Still looking for a good frame for that puppy if you guys have any suggestions.
                      Last edited by Jacques Joubert; 05-14-2010, 09:18 AM.
                      Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                        As an aside I have a Whalers jersey that I got signed by Kevin Dineen, Andrew Cassels, Geoff Sanderson, Keith Primeau, Kent Manderville, Kevin Haller, Steve Chiasson, Sean Burke, Jason Muzzati, Robert Kron, Nelson Emerson, and Curtis Leschyshyn prior to the last game.
                        No Zarley Zalapski?
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I was at the Garden for Game 2 vs. the Flyers and was stunned to see they sell Whalers hats and t-shirts at the Bruins pro shop now. ***??!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            No Zarley Zalapski?
                            He was long gone by then. He came over from the Pens with John Cullen in one of the most controversial NHL trades in history.

Try this: Eddie Johnston (Whalers GM) trades Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson for John Cullen and Zarley Zalapski. He resigns in the off season and emerges the following year as the head coach of the Pens. The Pens set up the Francis, Lemeiux, and Jagr line. The rest is history.

I hate the NHL front office. Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec...should all have teams.
                            Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

yes, it's sick that the Habs are operating with NCAA talent driving them but the Frenchies are too drunk to even be aware of that

The B's are so toast without Krejci and Sturm. They were awfully closely matched with DK in and Gagne out. Now with Gagne in and DK out it's not even close. Unfortunately Savard looks like he still has the concussion and probably needs to summer to get his head on straight.

If the D don't step and and snap a couple home they are done because the remaining bucket of forwards are not going to do it.

I honor Rechi for his IMPRESSIVE performance though. Incredible, he may be their best remaining forward since DK went down.

WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER SEE? THE B'S COMPLETE THE COLLASSAL INJURY DRIVEN COLLAPSE OR PULL OFF THE W TONIGHT AND GET SLAUGHTERED BY THE HABS?

It's kind of a toss up for me but interested in other B's fan perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                                As an aside I have a Whalers jersey that I got signed by . . . Curtis Leschyshyn . . . prior to the last game.
                                Nice! (Though to me, Leschyshyn will always be -- thanks to Sega NHL '93-- a Nordique. )
                                Bugs Bunny - 96
                                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                                X