Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Chill at the Big House

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
    I like to actually watch hockey when going to a hockey game and it's pretty difficult to do in these situations.
    Bingo!

Comment

I don't know, the Cold War game was just simply, absolutely, amazing to be at. These games can be done right, but they don't belong in the NHL and they don't belong in NCAA tournament games. They shouldn't be done in indoor locations either. They are simply gimmicks at that point. The Cold War game never felt that way at any point, it felt more like you were watching an old old time hockey game outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        Thank God this didn't happen. At least Lucia has done something right the last couple of years keeping Minnesota out of these types of games. Unfortunately I see this tide gaining some steam. But it did take a hit from Ford Field. Maybe that will be enough to get places to think again before doing this.

Concept is great, but in practice not a good idea. I like to actually watch hockey when going to a hockey game and it's pretty difficult to do in these situations.
        I would not exactly put Ford Field in the same boat as the outdoor games - outdoor hockey is part of the sport's history. Granted the sightliness from a fan's perspective may not be the best, but talk to the players who have played in these games (NHL or College) - it's a once in a lifetime event with great memories- Bu v BC at Fenway Park was another success. And I'd say by the 84k in ticket sales already that the Michigan v State game is going to be plenty exciting enough for many fans. And it's great publicity for hockey in general as well. As for Ford field - hope that was a one trick pony...but doubt it.

Comment

The Cold War was done very well and I had an amazing time. I remember being able to see the game fine as well. Maybe Spartan Stadium is just good for this sort of thing but I have never been to the Big Hole so I have no idea what site lines would be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
            The Cold War was done very well and I had an amazing time. I remember being able to see the game fine as well. Maybe Spartan Stadium is just good for this sort of thing but I have never been to the Big Hole so I have no idea what site lines would be like.
            Michigan Stadium was built 'out' instead of 'up' in the mid 1920s, before the advent of more modern stadium design. The sightlines have changed little since the stadium opened.

MSU's stadium is technically older (1923) than the big house (1927), but has been far more radically enlarged and renovated in the 1950s and 1990s to the more vertical footprint you see today.
            Last edited by Puck Swami; 04-23-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
              Michigan Stadium was built 'out' instead of 'up' in the mid 1920s, before the advent of more modern stadium design. The sightlines have changed little since the stadium opened.

MSU's stadium while technically older than the big house (1923), but has been far more radically enlarged and renovated in the 1950s and 1990s to the more vertical footprint you see today.
              Bingo. For comparison. I am expecting a Ford Field riser view instead of Ford Field stadium seating view. I really dont expect much in terms of watching the hockey game. I am there to support my team and be a part of the pagentry of the oldest (modern) outdoor rivalry. Not only will MSU/UM hold the 1 and 2 records for hockey attendance, they will be the first teams to play multiple games against each other outside. It might sound like a simple footnote, but it says something that this rivalry can draw this type of numbers over a decade. With this game, the teams will have played in front of nearly 3/4 million people over the last decade. There is not a series in college hockey that comes close to this.
              MICHIGAN STATE
              1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                Bingo. For comparison. I am expecting a Ford Field riser view instead of Ford Field stadium seating view. I really dont expect much in terms of watching the hockey game.
                Yeah, I could see this being a potential problem. They are definitely two completely different stadiums. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                  Yeah, I could see this being a potential problem. They are definitely two completely different stadiums. We shall see.
                  I'm not saying it wont be exciting...I'm speaking about the ability to see the game well based on the stadium being built out instead of up. MSU and UM could play on a pond and I'd stand in a crowd 100 deep to get a quick glance. I dont care where these teams play, as long as I get to be there to see it.
                  MICHIGAN STATE
                  1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                    I'm not saying it wont be exciting...I'm speaking about the ability to see the game well based on the stadium being built out instead of up. MSU and UM could play on a pond and I'd stand in a crowd 100 deep to get a quick glance. I dont care where these teams play, as long as I get to be there to see it.
                    Haha, I feek the same way. I was in the very top rows in the Cold War game and I wasn't able to see the details of the game that well but I was still more than happy to be there. My dad, however, is slightly claustrophobic and afraid of heights so he had problems with being that high up and absolutely packed in like none other. He left after the first, went to a local bar, watched the game, and then picked us up at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by WILD E WOLVERINE View Post
                      A lot will have to do with the weather, if it's a decent day I think they'll see over 100K.

Originally posted by Gomer View Post
                      I hope it rains... and rains... and rains. And then I hope it rains some more.
                      maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                        The reason for the disparity in turn-out (should it materialize as is assumed here) is blindingly obvious.

Wisconsin fans are more intelligent.
                        I hate to dampen your bias, but drinking heavily and then stampeding prior to a football game was not one of Badger fans greatest intelligent moments. So maybe staying away from an outdoor hockey game in Madison proved to be smart.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Visibility.

UW promoted the Camp Randall game with one little 20 second blurb at each football game during the football season. And that was pretty much the extent of their attempt to promote the event outside of hockey circles up until December or so.

UW does a pretty poor job when it comes to actually making people aware of UW hockey. The "Badger" themed shows on FSN or Time Warner Sports are 100% football and basketball. You've got to be pretty lucky to catch a game live on TV.

So the casual fans who normally only go to football games or watch football at a bar (you know... the people you NEED if you want to sell out an event like this) are honestly not much more aware of the hockey team than they are of, say, the volleyball or wrestling teams. Everything they know is word of mouth or whispers of "oh, I've heard those games are fun". And the only promotion that was given to this event was a little something that 80% of the stadium ignores during football games. I was actually shocked that we got 55,000 people to show up.

Even if 80,000 tickets have been sold for Cold War II with little to no promotion, there's something going on in Michigan that Barry Alvarez isn't privy to.

Okay, that and sour grapes.
                          Sorry, EoDS - I can't agree with any of this. Sure, UW could have promoted the event more. It probably wouldn't have made a huge difference. The single biggest reason for the relatively low attendance was price. I'll re-post my thoughts from the UW season thread:

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                          The Big Chill - tickets are 15, 10 for groups.
                          Michigan single game tickets - range 19-25. Michigan State tickets - range 18-20.

Camp Randall Classic - tickets are 25 bucks. 10 for students.
                          Kohl Center face value, single game tickets - 18-22.

Someone in the economics department at Michigan whispered in the AD's ear. If you want to massively expand capacity, you're probably going to have somewhat softer demand and will need to lower the price - not raise it.

It may very well be the case that UW made more money by selling 50k tickets at 25 a pop rather than selling 80k at 15. (without knowing the exact breakdown of group sales, etc) But if you're actively promoting this to break the world record - hell, if you're going to go to the trouble to host an outdoor game - why not aim to sell the place out? And if that's your aim, you need to price the game accordingly.

There's room to criticize the promotions, the choice of opponent, etc. Those are all minor factors compared to the underlying economics. Barry's like or dislike of hockey is irrelevant in this case, too.

Again, UW does not sell out the 15,000 seat Kohl Center, yet they somehow thought they could sell out 80,000 seat Camp Randall by increasing prices?
                          Reasons for the lower attendance - price, price, price, price, lackluster promotion, and price.
                          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                            Sorry, EoDS - I can't agree with any of this. Sure, UW could have promoted the event more. It probably wouldn't have made a huge difference. The single biggest reason for the relatively low attendance was price. I'll re-post my thoughts from the UW season thread:

Reasons for the lower attendance - price, price, price, price, lackluster promotion, and price.
                            Continued in the UW thread.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm guessing Wisconsin didn't care about selling out/setting the attendance record once they knew they'd likely only have the record for less than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                                I'm guessing Wisconsin didn't care about selling out/setting the attendance record once they knew they'd likely only have the record for less than a year.
                                Yeah... assuming they did know of the upcoming event, which I doubt because of when they probably starting planning the Camp Randall game, that is basically the dumbest thing I've heard in this thread so far.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
                                *****http://rantsoftheuninformed.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/madison.jpg******

Comment

Working...
                                X