Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread II -- We Can Rebuild Them. We Have the Technology!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread II -- We Can Rebuild Them. We Have the Technology!

Continue.

previous thread http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=89396
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-21-2010, 09:04 PM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread II -- We Can Rebuild Them. We Have the Technology!

Today is 21 April 2010. There are 170 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of next season.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread II -- We Can Rebuild Them. We Have the Technology!

Originally posted by AspyDad
      I don't know if you all have had this discussion but do we all agree that Brutlag needs to stay at Forward? Good strength to win individual battles in the corner and goes to the net. Watching RPI the last several years I have had some concerns that they don't go to the front of the net enough. Brut is tough and will help in this area. Rotate him at the point on the power play because he walks the blue line very well. Here's a good power play combo -- Jerry, Pirri, Bruts , Chase and ???? What say you Uncle Ralph? Who should be the fifth on the PP? Also, I will be attending the banquet. You can recognize me because I will be the one asking SA if he thinks he can close the deal on Laliberte Hope this finds you all well.
      Several people have commented. I think that SA will go with Bergin on the first powerplay unit, not Brutlag. Perhaps JL as the other forward.

We indeed have discussed where Brutlag's future lies. I feel it is at forward although he probably will be on the point on the second PP unit.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Several people have commented. I think that SA will go with Bergin on the first powerplay unit, not Brutlag. Perhaps JL as the other forward.

We indeed have discussed where Brutlag's future lies. I feel it is at forward although he probably will be on the point on the second PP unit.
        I think the only issue with this is that we really don't have someone to screen the goalie or work the front of the net if we put JL there; MAYBE D'Amigo, but I'm not sure if he's best suited for that. Paul Kerins really stepped up on that role this past year. This might seem a little crazy, but what about putting Joel Malchuk there? I know that you want quite a few snipers for the power play unit, and Malchuk is well suited for the bruiser line, but the perfect guy to grab rebounds or make deflections is essential IMO, and Joel seems to have that keen eye for it. I'd use JL if we had 5 forwards on the PP, but I think we learned from the BU game what happens when you do that.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I think the only issue with this is that we really don't have someone to screen the goalie or work the front of the net if we put JL there; MAYBE D'Amigo, but I'm not sure if he's best suited for that. Paul Kerins really stepped up on that role this past year. This might seem a little crazy, but what about putting Joel Malchuk there? I know that you want quite a few snipers for the power play unit, and Malchuk is well suited for the bruiser line, but the perfect guy to grab rebounds or make deflections is essential IMO, and Joel seems to have that keen eye for it. I'd use JL if we had 5 forwards on the PP, but I think we learned from the BU game what happens when you do that.
          Joel played that roll several times this year on the PP this past year.

Comment

The power play will be fine, the goal tending will be fine, playing short handed will be OK-what have we forgot? Oh the DEFENSE!! This may be the key to the season-what can we expect from our returnees and the few additions? Will we have the guys back there who can get the puck up out of the defensive zone to our talented forwards? Will we have the size on defense to keep the crease clear so York will have the chance to see most of what is coming at him? If the defense can do its job, then I will be a happy camper sitting in section 105 in AC next March 18 and 19.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              The power play will be fine, the goal tending will be fine, playing short handed will be OK-what have we forgot? Oh the DEFENSE!! This may be the key to the season-what can we expect from our returnees and the few additions? Will we have the guys back there who can get the puck up out of the defensive zone to our talented forwards? Will we have the size on defense to keep the crease clear so York will have the chance to see most of what is coming at him? If the defense can do its job, then I will be a happy camper sitting in section 105 in AC next March 18 and 19.
              This is an absolute definite. The forwards are doing their job blocking shots as much as possible, but if we don't have someone to plant the front forward on his rear, then it's only a matter of time. Allen's good, but he isn't a god. IIRC, the defense is what did cost us a couple games this year: Harvard at home, Colgate on the road, possibly also Dartmouth on the road (though that was more of getting the puck out the defensive zone, it's still akin to your point). It was little individual mistakes that caused a team "collapse". Maturity will help on this point, and although we won't have it from most of the D corps (only 3 are "veteran" players, 4 if you count the transfer), our freshmen will need to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by IMO View Post
                Joel played that roll several times this year on the PP this past year.
                He did play that role... on the second PP line. I think, given his play this year, he'll be ready to step up to the top line next year.

As a side note, I think that either he or Paul Kerins will get Most Improved Player award this year, with Christian Jensen as an inexpensive longshot.

Comment

Confirmed: SA's contract has been extended through 2014.

http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...421105751.aspx
                  APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                    Confirmed: SA's contract has been extended through 2014.

http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...421105751.aspx
                    Good to hear.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

He did play that role... on the second PP line. I think, given his play this year, he'll be ready to step up to the top line next year.

As a side note, I think that either he or Paul Kerins will get Most Improved Player award this year, with Christian Jensen as an inexpensive longshot.
                      That is tough. I think that I would go with Kerins.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That is tough. I think that I would go with Kerins.
                        I had also included Jensen because since when he had to step up to the task against SLU, he has been getting progressively better, though draft pick status, meaning he's probalby just getting back to task, makes this a longshot. I almost want to think that Kerins' big numbers came out of opportunity where the opposition almost forgot about him after being too pre-occupied with Polacek Pirri and D'Amigo (wow that sounds like a law firm at first), but the same could be said for Malchuk, and Joel was pretty consistent through the season.

Might as well flip a coin; moose is Malchuk, queen is Kerins.

Comment

I had also included Jensen because since when he had to step up to the task against SLU, he has been getting progressively better, though draft pick status, meaning he's probalby just getting back to task, makes this a longshot. I almost want to think that Kerins' big numbers came out of opportunity where the opposition almost forgot about him after being too pre-occupied with Polacek Pirri and D'Amigo (wow that sounds like a law firm at first), but the same could be said for Malchuk, and Joel was pretty consistent through the season.

Moose Malchuk. Sounds like a good nickname.

No comment about the other choice.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Fail.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Moose Malchuk. Sounds like a good nickname.

No comment about the other choice.
                              Well played. Serves me right for pulling a Canadian quarter out of my pocket. Darn cafeteria.....

Comment

Working...
                              X