Title IX is changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title IX is changing

Title IX is changing, read more here and here. See also NCAA Gender Equity.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Re: Title IX is changing

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    Title IX is changing, read more here and here. See also NCAA Gender Equity.
    Actually, nothing changed. The Gov'mint just stopped enforcing an unenforced rule.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Actually, nothing changed. The Gov'mint just stopped enforcing an unenforced rule.

I love that first article he posted. Myles Brand really stood his ground and gave the Bush Admin a case of the what for. I so admired his rock-solid unwavering commitment to truth, justice and the American Way.

Well, aside from the whole whoring out male DI athletes for billions part that he never seemed to talk about much.
      Last edited by Matthew Webb; 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM.
      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

It is true on the NCAA side of things, as noted "Thankfully, Myles Brand, then-NCAA president, immediately issued an edict saying schools should pay no attention to the guidelines."
        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
          It is true on the NCAA side of things, as noted "Thankfully, Myles Brand, then-NCAA president, immediately issued an edict saying schools should pay no attention to the guidelines."
          Myles Brand should have issued another edict saying schools should also have paid no attention to Myles Brand.
          “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
          19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Title IX is a joke. It destroyed most JV collegiate sports and the truyh is the vast majority of women have no interest. Most female competitions are sparsely attended and many have to search out players. Softball, basketball hockey maybe in some schools but I don't think there is the level of participation you find with male athletes. The sisters of most of the guys my son played ball with had no interest in sports. Hate to say it but it's all another PC assault on boys and manhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
              Title IX is a joke. It destroyed most JV collegiate sports and the truyh is the vast majority of women have no interest. Most female competitions are sparsely attended and many have to search out players. Softball, basketball hockey maybe in some schools but I don't think there is the level of participation you find with male athletes. The sisters of most of the guys my son played ball with had no interest in sports. Hate to say it but it's all another PC assault on boys and manhood.
              I concur... it's a good idea in theory (don't discriminate funding based on gender), but in implementation, it sucks. There's got to be a right balance out there. Just because you have a population, it doesn't mean there's an interest.

(sorry - I'm in violent agreement with you here)

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                The only thing wrong with Title IX is responses like this and the fact that too many schools have responded not by expanding opportunities for women, but by contracting opportunities for men. This was never the intent of the framers of Title IX (which is not just focused on athletics, but on all facets of college life).

Without title IX, I doubt very much that we would have seen the expansion of Women's hockey that has taken place in the past few years. Unfortunately, some people see the phrase "Title IX" and respond with an uninformed, knee-jerk negative reaction.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  The only thing wrong with Title IX is responses like this and the fact that too many schools have responded not by expanding opportunities for women, but by contracting opportunities for men. This was never the intent of the framers of Title IX (which is not just focused on athletics, but on all facets of college life).

Without title IX, I doubt very much that we would have seen the expansion of Women's hockey that has taken place in the past few years. Unfortunately, some people see the phrase "Title IX" and respond with an uninformed, knee-jerk negative reaction.
                  Like I said in my post, it's the right idea, but the implementation is a mess.

Comment

If you are really a Prof you made my point.

Comment

Prof

Very true, but if your athletic pie is only so big, and suddenly you have more hands wanting pieces of the pie, you have to either bake a bigger pie, cut down on the size of the portions, or restrict the number of hands getting their mitts on the pie.

Remember, Prof, women suck the life essence from men. This causes weakness and confusion, which led, in 1946, to the flouridation of our drinking water and the rise of the vast communist conspiracy. It was in the midst of this conspiracy that Title IX was born. Its sole intent Prof, its sole intent, was to weaken our men and make them less fit to rule. Our society is becoming a matriarchy and we men are becoming subservient.

No, Prof, this must stop, this must come TO AN END!! It is time (cue music) for we men to stand up and take back what is ours! No more will it be "Yes, Dear." We will reclaim our heritage and win our women by besting our opponents on the athletic field or in mortal combat! We are genectically superior and we must reclaim our primacy or die trying!!!

The preceeding rant was brought to you by Strangelove Enterprises, a division of Ripper Industries
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Prof

Very true, but if your athletic pie is only so big, and suddenly you have more hands wanting pieces of the pie, you have to either bake a bigger pie, cut down on the size of the portions, or restrict the number of hands getting their mitts on the pie.

Remember, Prof, women suck the life essence from men. This causes weakness and confusion, which led, in 1946, to the flouridation of our drinking water and the rise of the vast communist conspiracy. It was in the midst of this conspiracy that Title IX was born. Its sole intent Prof, its sole intent, was to weaken our men and make them less fit to rule. Our society is becoming a matriarchy and we men are becoming subservient.

No, Prof, this must stop, this must come TO AN END!! It is time (cue music) for we men to stand up and take back what is ours! No more will it be "Yes, Dear." We will reclaim our heritage and win our women by besting our opponents on the athletic field or in mortal combat! We are genectically superior and we must reclaim our primacy or die trying!!!

The preceeding rant was brought to you by Strangelove Enterprises, a division of Ripper Industries
                        How's that baby eating thing working out Jonathan ?
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Prof

Sole or soul?

Last edited by norm1909; 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM.
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

One of the other unfortunates is that some universities are now under-represented on the male side. This is true at Norwich I believe, where 1 in 3 female students has an opprtunity to play a varsity sport, yet only 1 on 4 males have that opportunity. Because of the high percnetage of males on campus, I think that would equate to supplying opportunity for additional 100 males.
                            I have no problem with sharing equitably, what concerns me is that the attitude too often becomes one of demanding a part of the pie for zero effort.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Prof

Channeling Gen Jack D Ripper are we......

I like it....
                              John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                              AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                              AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                              NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                              NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                              NCAA DII - 1983
                              NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Working...
                              X