Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowdoin's Stacy Wilson Resigns

Here is the press release from Bowdoin:

BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College Athletic Department has announced that women's ice hockey head coach Stacy Wilson has submitted her resignation. A search for her replacement will begin immediately.

"It has been a distinct privilege and a most fulfilling professional experience to have worked with the student-athletes and the staff of Bowdoin College over the past three years," says Wilson. "Thus it is only after careful reflection on personal considerations that I have decided to return to New Brunswick, Canada. Bowdoin truly is a special and unique environment and I will look forward to visiting Brunswick to cheer on the Polar Bears in the future."

Wilson was an integral part of rebuilding the women's ice hockey program at Bowdoin. In her three seasons at the helm, the Polar Bears improved from just five wins in 2007-08 to consecutive double-digit win campaigns in 2008-09 and 2009-10. Over her last 35 games as coach of the Polar Bears, the team went 20-13-2, including a NESCAC quarterfinal victory over Williams this past winter. She finishes her time at Bowdoin with a 28-35-9 record.

"Stacy is a tremendous coach and wonderful colleague," according to Bowdoin Athletic Director Jeff Ward. "She was crucial in the rebuilding of the women's ice hockey team at Bowdoin, and the future of the program is much brighter thanks to her efforts. We will miss her."

One of the most respected women's ice hockey players in the world, Wilson was a member of the Canadian national team for nearly a decade, captaining the squad from 1995 through the 1998 Winter Olympics. She led Team Canada to the 1990 World Championship with three goals in five games and also collected gold medals in the 1992, '94 and '97 World Championships.

A native of Salisbury, New Brunswick, Wilson attended Acadia University in Nova Scotia, where she is the only female member of the school's Hockey Hall of Fame. After her playing career, she served as an assistant coach at the University of Minnesota-Duluth for five seasons from 1999-2004.
    Interesting happenings after it seemed like Wilson was starting to turn things back around and right the ship up there in Bowdoin.

Re: Bowdoin's Stacy Wilson Resigns

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
    Here is the press release from Bowdoin:

Interesting happenings after it seemed like Wilson was starting to turn things back around and right the ship up there in Bowdoin.
    Perhaps observbear has some inside info?

I agree that this year's recruiting class definitely pushed the program forward.

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
      Perhaps observbear has some inside info?

I agree that this year's recruiting class definitely pushed the program forward.
      Are they filling this job from the inside or will they do a national search? I would think, as I mentioned over on the Norwich Women's hockey thread, that given Coach Boldings situation at Norwich, no paid full time assistant and the fact of what he has been able to do at Norwich in a 3 year period and the fact that he was named D3 Women's Coach of the Year and would probably be a pretty hot name at this point........you gotta wonder if he will throw his hat into the ring if they are going to do a search???? He would still be on the East Coast and Bowdoin has the new rink and is a great school and if I know Norwich they would let him walk without a fight.....I mean this is D3 it is not like big money contracts will get in the way and I will bet that Bowdoin will be paying more than he is making at Norwich...........Not starting anything just wondering out loud and hoping out loud that Norwich does what it needs to do to keep him.

Comment

Originally posted by mainiac View Post
        Are they filling this job from the inside or will they do a national search? I would think, as I mentioned over on the Norwich Women's hockey thread, that given Coach Boldings situation at Norwich, no paid full time assistant and the fact of what he has been able to do at Norwich in a 3 year period and the fact that he was named D3 Women's Coach of the Year and would probably be a pretty hot name at this point........you gotta wonder if he will throw his hat into the ring if they are going to do a search???? He would still be on the East Coast and Bowdoin has the new rink and is a great school and if I know Norwich they would let him walk without a fight.....I mean this is D3 it is not like big money contracts will get in the way and I will bet that Bowdoin will be paying more than he is making at Norwich...........Not starting anything just wondering out loud and hoping out loud that Norwich does what it needs to do to keep him.
        Well, aside from not having to shovel as much snow in Brunswick, there isn't much difference between the two schools. Why walk away from a program that he now has built to national contender?

Comment

So what was the reason? Any idea? Maybe something as simple as just going home to NB?

Comment

Originally posted by JONESTEST View Post
            So what was the reason? Any idea? Maybe something as simple as just going home to NB?
            I probably saw way more than half the Polar Bear's games during Coach Wilson's tenure at Bowdoin. Stacy always had a smile (even during that brutal first season, when I saw all their games), but I would not describe us as close friends. Since my editor's daughter graduated in '08, I have lost the casual "inside" team info. My best guess would be that family and a desire to return to New Brunswick were big factors in her decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
              Well, aside from not having to shovel as much snow in Brunswick, there isn't much difference between the two schools. Why walk away from a program that he now has built to national contender?
              Not to start something, and no offense to Vermonters, but the last winter I was in Brunswick ('70-'71) we had 128" not to shovel. The ratio of applications to admissions at Norwich and Bowdoin are also a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                Not to start something, and no offense to Vermonters, but the last winter I was in Brunswick ('70-'71) we had 128" not to shovel. The ratio of applications to admissions at Norwich and Bowdoin are also a bit different.
                Dude, that is a lifetime ago. With global climate change how can you even comment on what conditions in the COASTAL areas of Maine would be like relative to the MOUNTAINS of Vermont?

Comment

Dude, that is a lifetime ago. With global climate change how can you even comment on what conditions in the COASTAL areas of Maine would be like relative to the MOUNTAINS of Vermont?
                  Global warming??? That's so 20th century. And I seem to remember being in Vermont with the editor (who hails from BC) driving on 125 somewhere between Hancock and Ripton and being asked when we were going to get out of the foothills and see the MOUNTAINS???

Comment

Isn't much difference? Bowdoin is, and has been historically, one of the most competitive and selective colleges in the country. Noriwch is a fine university, but it is not in the same league as Bowdoin in that regard. It would be considerably easier for him to continue his succes at Norwich, where the admissions standards are not nearly as high as Bowdoin's.

Again, this is no indictment of Norwich or its standards, which are certainly respectable. But there most certainly IS a big difference between the two (not to mention the whole military vs. non-military thing, even taking into account the ability to be a civilian student at Norwich).

Comment

Originally posted by FranchisePlayer View Post
                      Isn't much difference? Bowdoin is, and has been historically, one of the most competitive and selective colleges in the country. Noriwch is a fine university, but it is not in the same league as Bowdoin in that regard. It would be considerably easier for him to continue his succes at Norwich, where the admissions standards are not nearly as high as Bowdoin's.

Again, this is no indictment of Norwich or its standards, which are certainly respectable. But there most certainly IS a big difference between the two (not to mention the whole military vs. non-military thing, even taking into account the ability to be a civilian student at Norwich).
                      I was referring to the commentary regarding the new rink etc. Norwich has one hell of a barn, so it is not as if you'd be moving from a second rate facility.

Comment

I don't think Coach Bolding is going anywhere unless it were to UVM to clean up the mess there. Family is firmly grounded in Northfield don't think they just would want to get up and move. D3 NESCAC's pay or at least find a way to package it to make it worth your while.

Originally posted by mainiac View Post

Comment

I was referring to the commentary regarding the new rink etc. Norwich has one hell of a barn, so it is not as if you'd be moving from a second rate facility.
                          Got it. I agree with you that Norwich's rink is quite something...

Comment

Inside rumors continue to swirl that Former Bowdoin greats that are currently in the coaching ranks throughout New England (HS and College) have been approached or have provided their own interest in the Bowdoin Job.
                            returning to Brunswick is typically a "dream job" for former players and given the potential names in New England, this could work well for the PBears
                            even if you're on the right path, you'll get run over if you just sit there

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerFan11 View Post
                              Inside rumors continue to swirl that Former Bowdoin greats that are currently in the coaching ranks throughout New England (HS and College) have been approached or have provided their own interest in the Bowdoin Job.
                              returning to Brunswick is typically a "dream job" for former players and given the potential names in New England, this could work well for the PBears
                              Should I start the Official Bring Back Marissa O'Neil thread
                              Mark it 8, Dude

Comment

Working...
                              X