This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East 2010-2011

There is a direct correlation between heavy program investment and success on the ice.

The usual suspects -- the 10-12 prograns that consistently tend to make the NCAAs each year are all products of large scale monetary investment to uphold and maintain their status.

Until the mid-to-lower teams in all leagues get out the checkbook and spend, they are mostly doomed to stay where they are. Follow the money, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      Average GF in Denneheys 4 years = 71.5
      Average GF in the previous 4 years = 81.75

Average GA in Denneheys 4 years = 102.25
      Average GA in previous 4 years = 122.5

Difference Dennehey = -30.75
      Difference previously = -40.75

I guess you could say that's an improvement. But, I still don't see how that makes this team "headed in the right direction." Last season they gave up the most goals in a season since Dennehey took over the help. De Costa made a 8-9th place team a 5-6th place team. If anything at least say De Costa has this team headed in the right direction. If he has a sophmore slump MC is fighting it out for the 8th and final spot.
      beyond being dense.... whyn't you look at the past two years where he has at least had some guys he recruited and compare those to the final two years before he got there.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        Average GF in Denneheys 4 years = 71.5
        Average GF in the previous 4 years = 81.75

Average GA in Denneheys 4 years = 102.25
        Average GA in previous 4 years = 122.5

Difference Dennehey = -30.75
        Difference previously = -40.75

I guess you could say that's an improvement. But, I still don't see how that makes this team "headed in the right direction." Last season they gave up the most goals in a season since Dennehey took over the help. De Costa made a 8-9th place team a 5-6th place team. If anything at least say De Costa has this team headed in the right direction. If he has a sophmore slump MC is fighting it out for the 8th and final spot.
        You seriously need to give up the internet.
        National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
        Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
        Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
        two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
        b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          beyond being dense.... whyn't you look at the past two years where he has at least had some guys he recruited and compare those to the final two years before he got there.
          Are you sure Dennehy recruited DaCosta and Bigos (+ Collins)? As I understand it, Albie O'connell had a lot to do with it, before he moved over to NU. It also helped that another assistant, Yopyk, caught a plum job coaching the Westside Warriors in the BCJHL. Mack has some strong defensive recruits coming fromn that league next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
            Are you sure Dennehy recruited DaCosta and Bigos (+ Collins)? As I understand it, Albie O'connell had a lot to do with it, before he moved over to NU. It also helped that another assistant, Yopyk, caught a plum job coaching the Westside Warriors in the BCJHL. Mack has some strong defensive recruits coming fromn that league next fall.
            i'm sure he had less to do with the guys he led during seasons #'d 1 (and 2).
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Thanks mookie, excellent idea. Since I made the original statement "Dennehey has them headed in the right direction", I'll back it up.

Look at the 3 seasons immediately prior to Dennehey's arrival; MC's overall win total went from 12 to 10 to 8, and in HE, from 7 to 5 to 1. So Dennehey inherits a team that had 1 win in HE,and the trend is clearly in the wrong direction.

'05-06 - 6 wins overall, 3 in HE. He gets Serino recruit Ricci (all Rookie team) and Sr.'s Schmidt (top notch D [yes, H'Dad, I had forgotten to include him previously]) and M. Johnson.

'06-07 - ouch! 3 wins total, 3 in HE; only 37 goals in 34 games Ricci suspended for the year. New frosh recruits score 16, sophs, jrs, srs combine for the other 21.

'07-08 - 12 wins total, 6 in HE. Ricci back, and 7 of top 10 scorers are Dennehey (O'Connell?) recruits.

'08-'09 - 9 wins total, 5 in HE. Looks like a step back, but peel the onion a bit. 14 losses (12 in HE) are by 1 goal. Frosh Cannata plays very very well. As the esteemed Nick P so eloquently stated, "they don't get blown out much like they used to"

'09-'10 - 16 wins, 12 in HE. National rookie of the year. HE co-coach of the year. 10 of top 12 scorers returning next year.

Any arguement that states "well, if they didn't have Da Costa" is specious. The fact is THEY DID/DO have Da Costa (hopefully for at least another season).

So HE wins from 3, 3, 6, 5, 12 looks like "the right direction" to me. I hope the trend continues this way. And given that I didn't see a "Kick Merrihack Out of Hockey East" thread this year, that has to count for something.
              Last edited by RENCEB; 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM.
              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                Until the mid-to-lower teams in all leagues get out the checkbook and spend, they are mostly doomed to stay where they are.
                I suppose a generous Denver alum would like to donate to the UMass-Lowell hockey program?

Swami... I understand your point... but don't act like its going to be that easy.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

If DaCosta leaves Merrimack will not make playoffs. If he stays they have good chance at home ice.

Comment

If DaCosta leaves, they'll still be in the hunt for a playoff spot. There is other talent on that team: Barton had 19 goals including three in the first two games at UND w/o DaCosta! Stollery has close to 35 points in two seasons on the blue line, add in Jesse Todd, Bigos, Cannata, Cucci, Brodhag, Ross and as someone else pointed out 3-4 very solid recruits this year including the BCHL's top two D-Men.

The whole "if they didn't have DaCosta" argument is sour grapes for teams that got beat by them this past year (every team in HE by the way). Same specious argument as "the rink there at Volpe gives them a big advantage". Something never complained about until teams starting losing there. Would be like saying "well, if Stalberg wasn't at UVM, you never would have made the frozen four". Takes a hell of a lot more than one player doesn't it?
                    Last edited by WDR357; 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                      Thanks mookie, excellent idea. Since I made the original statement "Dennehey has them headed in the right direction", I'll back it up.

Look at the 3 seasons immediately prior to Dennehey's arrival; MC's overall win total went from 12 to 10 to 8, and in HE, from 7 to 5 to 1. So Dennehey inherits a team that had 1 win in HE,and the trend is clearly in the wrong direction.

'05-06 - 6 wins overall, 3 in HE. He gets Serino recruit Ricci (all Rookie team) and Sr.'s Schmidt (top notch D [yes, H'Dad, I had forgotten to include him previously]) and M. Johnson.

'06-07 - ouch! 3 wins total, 3 in HE; only 37 goals in 34 games Ricci suspended for the year. New frosh recruits score 16, sophs, jrs, srs combine for the other 21.

'07-08 - 12 wins total, 6 in HE. Ricci back, and 7 of top 10 scorers are Dennehey (O'Connell?) recruits.

'08-'09 - 9 wins total, 5 in HE. Looks like a step back, but peel the onion a bit. 14 losses (12 in HE) are by 1 goal. Frosh Cannata plays very very well. As the esteemed Nick P so eloquently stated, "they don't get blown out much like they used to"

'09-'10 - 16 wins, 12 in HE. National rookie of the year. HE co-coach of the year. 10 of top 12 scorers returning next year.

Any arguement that states "well, if they didn't have Da Costa" is specious. The fact is THEY DID/DO have Da Costa (hopefully for at least another season).

So HE wins from 3, 3, 6, 5, 12 looks like "the right direction" to me. I hope the trend continues this way. And given that I didn't see a "Kick Merrihack Out of Hockey East" thread this year, that has to count for something.
                      Thanks for actually responding to the question posed instead of just being an arse like some of the other posters. I do in fact appreciate it.

I see how you could come to the conclusion, the previous trend was headed down and the overall trend now appears to be heading up, but I guess I will wait until after this season to really say MC is headed in any particular direction.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
                      Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                        You seriously need to give up the internet.

Whooaaa, that was a zinger. Good one
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post

Exactly.

Comment

FWIW Merrimack average home attendence last 5 years:
                            2005-2006 1721
                            2006-2007 1689
                            2007-2008 1798 (UMASS game missing as HE showed 0 as attendence)
                            2008-2009 1724
                            2009-2010 2176 (+ 21% from previous year)

Comment

Stupid post by jcarter as usual. Maine, for the most part, had a lousy season last year but because Nyquist is back and they played well in their last three games, people are jumping on the Maine bandwagon.

I think Merrimack has a similarly explosive player in Da Costa and a much better goaltending situation. I guess people will always think of MC as MC (myself included).

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                                Stupid post by jcarter as usual. Maine, for the most part, had a lousy season last year but because Nyquist is back and they played well in their last three games, people are jumping on the Maine bandwagon.
                                Wut?

Want to try that again?
                                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Working...
                                X