X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East 2010-2011

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    In the next 10 years at least one HE team will win a national title and won't be BC, BU, or Maine. I'm not saying those schools won't win one but one of the other schools will pull it off.
    Outside BC and maybe BU, I still think UNH is the biggest threat in Hockey East. That isn't saying much given their postseason flameouts, but you limited it to the next 10 years.

I can't really take this blog seriously given he/she/they selected Samuelsson over Dumoulin for all Hockey East honors.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I can't really take this blog seriously given he/she/they selected Samuelsson over Dumoulin for all Hockey East honors.
      Or given he/she/they neglected to mention BU or any of its players anywhere in that post. Regardless of where you think the Terriers will finish, I would think they'd at least be worth mentioning. I mean, Warsofsky, the freshmen, the offseason dismissals... at least throw one of them out there.
      Last edited by Federal League; 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
        Percentage of Hockey East team's liklihood of winning a national title within the next ten years:

Boston College = > 90%
        Boston U. = > 80%
        Maine = > 50%
        UNH = < 50%
        UVM = < 50%
        UMass = < 20%
        Northeastern = < 5%
        Providence = < 3%
        Lowell = 0%
        Merrimack = 0%

Boston College and BU's goals should be to win the Frozen Four every year. The rest should have a goal of simply making the Frozen Four within the next ten years. Lowell and MC should be happy to make a tournament once in a while. And, yes, Brown would fall into that latter group, too.
        BC's and BU's goal IS to win the Frozen Four every year already, ain't it?

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          I thought BU's was to win the Beanpot?
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            Percentage of Hockey East team's likelihood of winning a national title within the next ten years:

Boston College = > 90%
            Boston U. = > 80%
            With respect to this 10 year time frame, these two teams also have the biggest question marks of everyone - how long will Jerry and Jack coach? 10 years puts them both well into their 70s, I think the chances are very low that both will be behind the bench in 2020. That means who takes over and can they maintain the program's status? I don't know anything about the rest of the BC coaching staff, I assume they're top quality, but do they have anyone who can take over the role of head coach? BU's best choice left for the AHL in Quinn, it's unclear whether he'd leave a job at that level to come back and take over the program. I guess you can add Umile to this category, he is only 3 years or so younger.
            time to write new history

Comment

Alright so if you have read my posts before then you know I'm the first to note NU's short comings. I see us as 7th this year. That being said, we have started to recruit some quality recently, look at our freshman last year, we had 2 all HE rookies in Rawlings and Newton and Garrett Vermeersch could have been put in as well though I think that those selected were deserving. I'm not saying we have anywhere near any hope in winning much in the next 10 years, but we haven't been recruiting chopped liver, look at our recruits down the line on Heisenberg and look into them a bit, there are some legit recruits on there that any team would want. The renovations to Matthews are going to do a lot to help and you can argue already have.

Again, not saying we have much of a chance of hoisting a trophy in April, but show us SOME respect.
              Arenas Attended
              Matthews Arena
              Agganis Arena
              Tsongas Arena
              Lawler Arena
              Schneider Arena
              Mullins Center
              TD Banknorth Garden
              Conte Forum
              Whittemore Center
              Gutterson Fieldhouse
              Alfond Arena
              Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                Realistic goal, that is. BC more than BU. My point was there are realistic expectations at those schools. The others are more dreams than goals.
                Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                  With respect to this 10 year time frame, these two teams also have the biggest question marks of everyone - how long will Jerry and Jack coach? 10 years puts them both well into their 70s, I think the chances are very low that both will be behind the bench in 2020. That means who takes over and can they maintain the program's status? I don't know anything about the rest of the BC coaching staff, I assume they're top quality, but do they have anyone who can take over the role of head coach? BU's best choice left for the AHL in Quinn, it's unclear whether he'd leave a job at that level to come back and take over the program. I guess you can add Umile to this category, he is only 3 years or so younger.
                  When York and Parker leave, those schools will be able to pick any coach they want. BC hockey is Duke basketball or Texas football right now and if that job opened, the line outside of Conte Forum to replace York would stretch a mile long. BU is a step behind but likely has the better pipeline to a future coach (Quinn or Mike Sullivan) than BC does.
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

BU is not a step behind....

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                      BU is not a step behind....
                      dude, right now EVERYBODY is a step behind Mr Jerry York and his boys. there is no shame in admitting that (and as a matter of fact, i just did! )
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Why? Because they won last year?

We are talking about programs, not wins and losses in one year. BU is an elite program that is every bit as good as BC. Does BC become worse after next year when many kids leave and BU is winning or visa versa? Of course not.

BU has a better tradition, better facilities and they don't play second fiddle to Football and on occasion basketball. BU hockey runs athletics, that can't be said about BC hockey on Comm ave.

They are both great programs and equal as being attractive to high end+ coaches.

Was BU a better program 10 months ago when they were defending champ of everything??? No, they were just the stronger team that year.

Comment

Why? Because they won last year?

We are talking about programs, not wins and losses in one year. BU is an elite program that is every bit as good as BC. Does BC become worse after next year when many kids leave and BU is winning or visa versa? Of course not.

BU has a better tradition, better facilities and they don't play second fiddle to Football and on occasion basketball. BU hockey runs athletics, that can't be said about BC hockey on Comm ave.

They are both great programs and equal as being attractive to high end+ coaches.

Was BU a better program 10 months ago when they were defending champ of everything??? No, they were just the stronger team that year.
                          BU has been to one FF since 1997. before last season, BU has made ncaa tournaments, but beaten the likes of harvard and jan brady state before bowing out. they won "a" HEA title between this period as well. they are certainly in the top 10 programs over the 15 odd years in question. but also clearly a step behind the undisputed leader in the clubhouse.

when it comes time to replace coaches, do i think BU will have an edge over BC in attracting the same kind of fella, all things being equal (alumni status obviously removed)? yes. but BU is without a doubt a "step behind" program over the memory lifespan of every kid playing hockey in either uniform right now, and certainly thinking of what school to come and play for in the next couple years..
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

While that's all true, so is the following:
                            Since 1998, BC has been to 9 FFs, 7 title games and won 3 NCs.
                            Since 1998, BU has been to 1 FF, 1 title game and won 1 NC.

I don't think anyone can legitimately argue that BU (or any other program) is on the same level as BC over the last 13 years.

Comment

There was a rather dismaying piece in today's Boston Globe that feted the likes of BC's autocratic Gene DeFilippo and 'his' basketball/football coaches and their big salaries. I say 'dismaying' because nowhere was Jerry York mention. All he's done is deliver three national championships in a decade. Sure, the scope & breadth of college hockey isn't what it is in NCAA football and basketball, but York has combined stellar performance with a program to have real pride in.

I feel that BC's basketball and football programs have regressed while hockey has progressed. DeFilippo seems not to care a bit about his hockey team, which is why I think he's a jerk .
                              Chris V
                              Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                                I feel that BC's basketball and football programs have regressed while hockey has progressed. DeFilippo seems not to care a bit about his hockey team, which is why I think he's a jerk .
                                Because hockey is interesting to US... not THEM.

THEM is the national crowd... DeFilippo is a person who went to two other schools than the one he is working for. The game is national attention and you only do that by the football and basketball programs. This is the same reason why UConn won't be going scholarship for hockey any time in the next 10 years. Its a national game they are playing... and most of these ADs and school presidents have only loyalties to the national aligned systems because that's where their current paychecks are grounded and next paychecks are grounded.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X