X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East 2010-2011

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    What happened was the economy, when UVM's investments dropped 2 years ago or so they put a freeze on all new building construction. They have had a study committee and a new arena was recomended, but over the past two years there has been a 10 million deficit that they have had to address, so the new arena has been put on hold. That said, IF things turn around it will likely be in the number two spot for constuction behind a new set of dorms that the crazy city council has mandated they constuct to free up housing. But yeah, seems like a no brainer. Waiting list for season tickets has stretched out to close to 15 years now, not to mention revenue from people buying per game tickets and added ability to host other events. The state isn't big on contributing either, they would rather shuttle money to K-12 education so that we can maintain a 5:1 student teacher ratio and so that the career welfare queens can sit home and watch Oprah.
    Surprising the state wouldn't contribute in this economy considering that it would generate construction jobs and jobs from a new state of the art arena able to host a lot of different events.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
      Surprising the state wouldn't contribute in this economy considering that it would generate construction jobs and jobs from a new state of the art arena able to host a lot of different events.
      The state has a 150 million deficit and no idea how to make it up. . Besides they literally would rather pay twice as much as other states for K-12 education, and snub higher education so they can ***** about UVM being the most expensive public University. Takes the heat off the Legislature who are bought and paid servants of the NEA. But Vermont likes to educate young people so that when they move to another state they are well prepared to realize they should never ever return to VT unless they are ready to retire.

But yeah, someone should have applied for some stimulus funds... The Gutt has a great atmosphere, but I am sick of donating a grand every year to get season tickets while I toil on the waiting list for the 8th year in a row, with an estimated 7-8 years to go.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

The state has a 150 million deficit and no idea how to make it up. . Besides they literally would rather pay twice as much as other states for K-12 education, and snub higher education so they can ***** about UVM being the most expensive public University. Takes the heat off the Legislature who are bought and paid servants of the NEA. But Vermont likes to educate young people so that when they move to another state they are well prepared to realize they should never ever return to VT unless they are ready to retire.

But yeah, someone should have applied for some stimulus funds... The Gutt has a great atmosphere, but I am sick of donating a grand every year to get season tickets while I toil on the waiting list for the 8th year in a row, with an estimated 7-8 years to go.
        wow, i had no idea that they had a waiting list like that. so you pony up a grand every year to stay on the list basically?

Comment

Maybe you guys should get Ben and Jerrys or whatever you have up there to donate. Imagine the Ben and Jerrys arena

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
            wow, i had no idea that they had a waiting list like that. so you pony up a grand every year to stay on the list basically?
            No, you stay on the list for free, but you can donate $1000 to the "Victory Club" and get two season tickets.

it's why Gutterson has sold out pretty much every game over the past 5-6 years, the only time it doesn't sell out is about every year there is a game on SuperBowl Sunday....

Current Waitlist numbers

I'm around 400
            http://uvmathletics.com/sports/2010/...924.aspx?id=89
            Last edited by jcarter7669; 08-12-2010, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Maybe you guys should get Ben and Jerrys or whatever you have up there to donate. Imagine the Ben and Jerrys arena
              Ben and Jerry sold the biz out of state. No donations there. There are a few big donors that have contribute money although I have no idea how much, and clearly not enough at this point....

It will happen, just not until the stock market steadies itself a bit, or I win the powerball....

Comment

I'm not one to question how they pay for things but at this point wouldn't it be profitable to raise the money through issuing bonds. I'm sure they could get good rates right now since investors are going after Bonds so heavily now. With the money the raise from increased revenue at hockey games + ice shows and concerts it would offset that.

Comment

I'm not one to question how they pay for things but at this point wouldn't it be profitable to raise the money through issuing bonds. I'm sure they could get good rates right now since investors are going after Bonds so heavily now. With the money the raise from increased revenue at hockey games + ice shows and concerts it would offset that.
                  Preaching to the choir...

Comment

No, you stay on the list for free, but you can donate $1000 to the "Victory Club" and get two season tickets.

it's why Gutterson has sold out pretty much every game over the past 5-6 years, the only time it doesn't sell out is about every year there is a game on SuperBowl Sunday....

Current Waitlist numbers

I'm around 400
                    http://uvmathletics.com/sports/2010/...924.aspx?id=89
                    interesting...........

Comment

interesting...........
                      I mean besides skiing, what else is there to do in burlington in the winter?
                      Arenas Attended
                      Matthews Arena
                      Agganis Arena
                      Tsongas Arena
                      Lawler Arena
                      Schneider Arena
                      Mullins Center
                      TD Banknorth Garden
                      Conte Forum
                      Whittemore Center
                      Gutterson Fieldhouse
                      Alfond Arena
                      Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
                        eat and drink..........great place for food. i'd be kept busy with that

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
                          Well there is snowshoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and of course sex.

Ever hear of "cabin fever"

Regardless, here is an article explaining the arena situation
                          http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/126690

You will not that one hiccup is the sticker price....nearly 100 million which maybe going a little overboard.

Comment

eat and drink..........great place for food. i'd be kept busy with that
                            Eat, drink, smoke dope, and listen to phish.

It's like sex, drugs, and rock n roll without the rock n roll.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

You will not that one hiccup is the sticker price....nearly 100 million which maybe going a little overboard.
                              Not really. I mean BU spent what over $100 million on Agannis. The past round of renovations at NU cost well over $20 million. Arena construction is not cheap.

Comment

Not really. I mean BU spent what over $100 million on Agannis. The past round of renovations at NU cost well over $20 million. Arena construction is not cheap.
                                This is actually basically an addition though, not a de novo structure. It would tie into Gutterson and Patrick Gym. But yes, I do realize construction isn't cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X