X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East 2010-2011

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    So I guess we should pick the unknown over the proven big-game performer. Makes sense to me.
    Hutton wasn't unknown, he had BETTER STATS in the regular season so obviously he would win the national title if he had the chance!!!!!!! DUHHHH. Mike Ayers and Ty Conklin say so.

I guess we should change the "eyeball test" that the more intelligent fans would use to a "bloodshot eyeball test" for the UVMers.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
      I would liken muse to josh beckett. beckett has put together some decent seasons (best being a 2007 cy young runner up); but has really made his mark in the playoffs (7-3, 2 WS titles).
      Would you say that Beckett was the best pitcher in the AL in 2007?
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
        Would you say that Beckett was the best pitcher in the AL in 2007?
        wow looking back i forgot how close those two were. the stats are nearly identical (with the exception of the playoffs - which couldnt be more different)

W

ERA

WHIP

k/9

k:bb

playoffs
        4-0 1.2 ERA .7 WHIP
        1-2 8.94 ERA 2.38 WHIP

so yeah, knowing the award is a regular season award.. i dont have that big of a problem with CC winning it. the 20 games vs 19 is irrelevant. all stats are pretty much equal otherwise - and i'm sure the higher k/bb ratio suggests slightly better control.

but who was the better pitcher all year? most definitely beckett. he was marginally worse during the season (if that), and i like the higher K/9 anyway, and obviously the playoff stats speak for themselves.

then again, if beckett had won the award, my original point would be moot! this comparison was slightly easier to make since both were on decent teams and had seasons of relatively equal length. its certainly harder to say who is better between a guy who has a stellar regular season on a bad team and a guy who a good season on a great team.
        “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
        Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
        Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
        National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

wow looking back i forgot how close those two were. the stats are nearly identical (with the exception of the playoffs - which couldnt be more different)

W

ERA

WHIP

k/9

playoffs
          4-0 1.2 ERA .7 WHIP
          1-2 8.94 ERA 2.38 WHIP

so yeah, knowing the award is a regular season award.. i dont have that big of a problem with CC winning it. the 20 games vs 19 is irrelevant. all stats are pretty much equal otherwise - and i'm sure the higher k/bb ratio suggests slightly better control.

but who was the better pitcher all year? most definitely beckett. he was marginally worse during the season (if that), and i like the higher K/9 anyway, and obviously the playoff stats speak for themselves.

then again, if beckett had won the award, my original point would be moot! this comparison was slightly easier to make since both were on decent teams and had seasons of relatively equal length. its certainly harder to say who is better between a guy who has a stellar regular season on a bad team and a guy who a good season on a great team.
          CC also threw a ton of innings that year, definitely over 220, you could argue since he was out there more he was more valuable to his team DURING THE REGULAR SEASON, but he was not as valuable overall because he stunk it up in the postseason where the games matter considerably more. Had no problems with him winning the Cy Young award that year, he had a better regular season and was more valuable to his team than beckett was to the sox. CC was just completely gassed when he got to the ALCS, thankfully
          Last edited by NUMcNeely; 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM.
          Arenas Attended
          Matthews Arena
          Agganis Arena
          Tsongas Arena
          Lawler Arena
          Schneider Arena
          Mullins Center
          TD Banknorth Garden
          Conte Forum
          Whittemore Center
          Gutterson Fieldhouse
          Alfond Arena
          Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
            CC also threw a ton of innings that year, definitely over 220, you could argue since he was out there more he was more valuable to his team DURING THE REGULAR SEASON, but he was not as valuable overall because he stunk it up in the postseason where the games matter considerably more. Had no problems with him winning the Cy Young award that year, he had a better regular season and was more valuable to his team than beckett was to the sox. CC was just completely gassed when he got to the ALCS, thankfully
            its funny that cc had a rotation of carmona and byrd who both won 19 and 15 games, respectively. then there was some guy named cliff lee who went 5-8.. bum.
            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
              And maybe Hutton is like Schilling pre bloody sock. Just hadn't had the opportunity to prove he could do it because the team around him sucked.
              Hutton = Dice K (overrated)
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Good point, I stand corrected.

Either way point is you can't disparage Hutton as not being a big game goalie since he hasn't had the chance to prove it.

Muse had, and in many cases has been lucky to have the offense to bail him out. Other times he steals games. But he has had the chance to show. I don't think its fair to compare the two based on "big games" when only one has had an opportunity to show there ability.
                you have to start somewhere.. before Muse won a NC he won two OT games in the beanpot as a freshman, then he stood tall and helped the igles beat uhn in the HE sf in OT. he then did the same vs MOH in worcester. (and yes, he gave up goals in all of those games - but again you take what is given to you and prove yourself. you don't sit back and say "gee, that game 3 that we lost in OT at Maine wasn't really a big game..don't worry Hutton.")
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

W

ERA

WHIP

k/9

playoffs
                  4-0 1.2 ERA .7 WHIP
                  1-2 8.94 ERA 2.38 WHIP

I'm willing to leave it at this, as I think it makes my point well enough (not that Muse wasn't the best, just that there's the possibility that he might not have been). Thanks for discussing it rationally, Steve.
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                    Hutton = Dice K (overrated)
                    Bwahahaha.

Give Dice K credit, he did win the decisive game in the World Series. Hutton would be like a more mediocre version of Zach Greinke.
                    Originally posted by reBlur
                    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                      Give Dice K credit, he did win the decisive game in the World Series.
                      Funny, sure looked like Jon Lester on the mound in game 4.
                      -Fred Shero

Comment

Funny, sure looked like Jon Lester on the mound in game 4.
                        Oh snap, he won game 3. I guess that lessens his accomplishment.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          Oh snap, he won game 3. I guess that lessens his accomplishment.
                          Hey, he was 1-for-3 with 2 RBI in that game (that plus winning the game puts his name in the Red Sox record books alongside Babe Ruth and Cy Young). He actually pitched pretty well in that game, giving up only 2 earned runs in 5 1/3 innings, and probably 22 full counts spread over the 23 batters he faced.

source (I didn't know all of that from memory)
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            So I guess we should pick the unknown over the proven big-game performer. Makes sense to me.
                            You guys are missing the point, at this stage of the game it is clearly intentional.

We already went through the big game "what if scenario" so I'm not getting back into that, you can check back through the thread.

This was a very simple comment which I said Hutton AND Hamilton were the best goaltending TANDEM in HE last year. After Muse and Milner were brought in I have given full credit for Muse and his performances in big games. He wins and its that simple. But he wins alot of games because BC has such a powerhouse team, not necessary because of the way Muse played. That's not to say he doesn't play big in big games because he does. But this is not about BC winning games, its about which goalies played the best last year and based on individual goalie stats for the course of the year that goes IMO to H&H. If you want to talk about who the best goalie of the post season was that's another topic.

But I mean this is getting really absurd. I have seen pretty much no one disparge BC at all. I mean you really can't, but for some reason you BC fans are walking around with a huge chip on those shoulders... BC was the class of the field last year and will be this year. That doesn't mean that they were the absolute best in EVERY single category. As a team though they were great. Hutton had a great year on an sorely underachieving team. Muse had a great year on a really great team. Even the eyeball test supports Hutton... at least if you aren't wearing blinders.

It makes sense for the BC fans to want to rate Muse on how he played in the NCAA tourney because he was stellar. But really if we are comparing goalies how can you honestly compare a goalies 5 games results to another goalie who didn't play and throw out that goalies regular season results because they were regular season??? Unless you just don't want to acknowledge them.

Other interesting point, Almost none of the BC fans will even admit that Hutton was ONE OF THE TOP goalies. At least the rest of acknowlege Muse's talent. We have Slasher who don't think their names even belong in the same sentence... You guys really need to get over your perceived "lack of respect."

I mean really... next someone is going to tell me Nyquist doesn't belong in any comparison to Atkinson because ME didn't make the NCAA tourney
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

You guys are missing the point, at this stage of the game it is clearly intentional.

We already went through the big game "what if scenario" so I'm not getting back into that, you can check back through the thread.

This was a very simple comment which I said Hutton AND Hamilton were the best goaltending TANDEM in HE last year. After Muse and Milner were brought in I have given full credit for Muse and his performances in big games. He wins and its that simple. But he wins alot of games because BC has such a powerhouse team, not necessary because of the way Muse played. That's not to say he doesn't play big in big games because he does. But this is not about BC winning games, its about which goalies played the best last year and based on individual goalie stats for the course of the year that goes IMO to H&H. If you want to talk about who the best goalie of the post season was that's another topic.

But I mean this is getting really absurd. I have seen pretty much no one disparge BC at all. I mean you really can't, but for some reason you BC fans are walking around with a huge chip on those shoulders... BC was the class of the field last year and will be this year. That doesn't mean that they were the absolute best in EVERY single category. As a team though they were great. Hutton had a great year on an sorely underachieving team. Muse had a great year on a really great team. Even the eyeball test supports Hutton... at least if you aren't wearing blinders.

It makes sense for the BC fans to want to rate Muse on how he played in the NCAA tourney because he was stellar. But really if we are comparing goalies how can you honestly compare a goalies 5 games results to another goalie who didn't play and throw out that goalies regular season results because they were regular season??? Unless you just don't want to acknowledge them.

Other interesting point, Almost none of the BC fans will even admit that Hutton was ONE OF THE TOP goalies. At least the rest of acknowlege Muse's talent. We have Slasher who don't think their names even belong in the same sentence... You guys really need to get over your perceived "lack of respect."

I mean really... next someone is going to tell me Nyquist doesn't belong in any comparison to Atkinson because ME didn't make the NCAA tourney
                              Nyquist is a stud who stepped up when the chips were on the table. I guess if you could tell me any game Hutton won that had any significance, I'd be more understanding. He was a bright spot on a poor team, but that's about it. I dont think he wins a national title if he played on BC because there's no evidence that he is mentally strong enough to take his game to the next level in a big game.

There's a long line of goalies who ripped it up in the regular season only to melt down in the NCAAs (insert name of UNH goalie here).
                              Last edited by Slasher7; 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Hey, he was 1-for-3 with 2 RBI in that game (that plus winning the game puts his name in the Red Sox record books alongside Babe Ruth and Cy Young).
                                Ugliest single ever, I was rolling on the floor laughing when he hit that though, that spelled the end of Rocktober right there. Don't forget Derek Lowe on that list! Memory serves me right he won every clinching game in '04, there's something to be said for that. He's still putting up decent numbers, I was a fan of home the sox dumped house after that season, but I wish Lowe could have stayed.
                                Arenas Attended
                                Matthews Arena
                                Agganis Arena
                                Tsongas Arena
                                Lawler Arena
                                Schneider Arena
                                Mullins Center
                                TD Banknorth Garden
                                Conte Forum
                                Whittemore Center
                                Gutterson Fieldhouse
                                Alfond Arena