Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Americans-Canadians

Originally posted by NJCPolarBear View Post
    Ugly American...ya, that's a new one. U would be surprised. And yes I own a Honda...actually I own 2.

I don't have a problem with foreign students coming to American Colleges...provided they pay their own way, and represent a small % of the college population. However, don't you find it rather "odd" for a college to enroll, say 1% Canadians, yet have a hockey team roster that's 55% Canadian? If you don't find that a little queer, then perhaps you are.

Time for a change.
    In case you missed post #38, can you tell us why the college chooses to do this?

Comment

If you don't find that a little queer, then perhaps you are.
      Whats wrong with being queer? Stop the hate, don't discriminate!!
      (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
        She's referring to the fact that the BC men just won the national championship.
        Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        I knew that....

Was in a round about way trying to point out to SillyWench that she was addressing the wrong audience.
        Opening post -
        Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
        Who knows more about hockey? Who is in better position to succeed? Just a fun (I think) thread to pass the time through summer. I know it's a women's forum, but everything is welcome. It's summer, almost. You have to admit that a lot of the opinions are border influenced. After the recent results, what do you think?
        Sorry - late getting back, but I took the above to mean this was a genderless A v C discussion.

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
        Thought # 1 - Can you imagine what kind of hockey you would be watching without Canadians in your game?
        I had just watched several very non competitive games won by bc - with a college roster full of Americans. Not just Americans, but also not so high draft picks ta' boot. It was beautiful hockey and the only thing uncomfortable about watching it was the total domination of the other teams.

I'm not with the polarbear in trying to herd the canadians out of US college hockey.

I do, though, appreciate coaches and teams who do the 'most' with the 'least' so to speak - and appreciate the recruiting skills that go into being able to find real hockey talent without a canadian passport, nhl pedigree/ancestors or relying exclusively on the Canadian good old hockey boy/girl network.

THOSE are some evaluation skills. Signing a player that everyone in Ontario says is the best - not so much. I do understand the financial reality of recruiting - there is not enough money in the world to find all the diamonds in the rough.

Some of the canadian dominance is sheer player numbers and high level playing opportunities due to player density producing many polished and ready players.

But IMO, some of the Canadian dominance in us college numbers is part style preference, part home-boy/girl picks by Canadian coaches and part easy pickins'. None of those factors really affect the quality of the game - but they do leave equally talented US girls out of the loop.

It is not anything evil though - coaching/managing the the us game has been dominated by those originating from parts North for a long time. The bias is built into athletic departments too - the easy decision is to pick a Canadian and thus help propagate future canadian filled teams. Change is slow.

Please don't paint me as an ugly American - I've got kids who qualify for Canadian citizenship. Just always been a keen watcher of the underdog - and that is the US hockey players in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by sillywench View Post
          Opening post -

Sorry - late getting back, but I took the above to mean this was a genderless A v C discussion.

I had just watched several very non competitive games won by bc - with a college roster full of Americans. Not just Americans, but also not so high draft picks ta' boot. It was beautiful hockey and the only thing uncomfortable about watching it was the total domination of the other teams.

I'm not with the polarbear in trying to herd the canadians out of US college hockey.

I do, though, appreciate coaches and teams who do the 'most' with the 'least' so to speak - and appreciate the recruiting skills that go into being able to find real hockey talent without a canadian passport, nhl pedigree/ancestors or relying exclusively on the Canadian good old hockey boy/girl network.

THOSE are some evaluation skills. Signing a player that everyone in Ontario says is the best - not so much. I do understand the financial reality of recruiting - there is not enough money in the world to find all the diamonds in the rough.

Some of the canadian dominance is sheer player numbers and high level playing opportunities due to player density producing many polished and ready players.

But IMO, some of the Canadian dominance in us college numbers is part style preference, part home-boy/girl picks by Canadian coaches and part easy pickins'. None of those factors really affect the quality of the game - but they do leave equally talented US girls out of the loop.

It is not anything evil though - coaching/managing the the us game has been dominated by those originating from parts North for a long time. The bias is built into athletic departments too - the easy decision is to pick a Canadian and thus help propagate future canadian filled teams. Change is slow.

Please don't paint me as an ugly American - I've got kids who qualify for Canadian citizenship. Just always been a keen watcher of the underdog - and that is the US hockey players in this case.
          I poked fun at you earlier for posting about a mens game in the womens forum, so it is only fair to commend you on an Excellent post. Well Said.

Comment

Ugly American...ya, that's a new one. U would be surprised. And yes I own a Honda...actually I own 2.

I don't have a problem with foreign students coming to American Colleges...provided they pay their own way, and represent a small % of the college population. However, don't you find it rather "odd" for a college to enroll, say 1% Canadians, yet have a hockey team roster that's 55% Canadian? If you don't find that a little queer, then perhaps you are.

Time for a change.
            So it’s OK for you to send your money overseas for a Honda that adds value for you, but not OK for a university to spend money on a Canadian who adds value to their program?

If you want more Americans on DI teams, then how about putting some effort into growing your local girls’ programs?

Comment

I had just watched several very non competitive games won by bc - with a college roster full of Americans. Not just Americans, but also not so high draft picks ta' boot. It was beautiful hockey and the only thing uncomfortable about watching it was the total domination of the other teamS.
              The BC women did not have any Canadians on their roster as well. They did not make out as well as their male counter parts. Just saying!
              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by BTW67 View Post
                So it’s OK for you to send your money overseas for a Honda that adds value for you, but not OK for a university to spend money on a Canadian who adds value to their program?

If you want more Americans on DI teams, then how about putting some effort into growing your local girls’ programs?

You sound like maybe you got your 'degree' from a 'prestigious' Canadian University....Probably in economics....What a maroon.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                  I poked fun at you earlier for posting about a mens game in the womens forum, so it is only fair to commend you on an Excellent post. Well Said.
                  No worries, but thank you. I do realize that the situation is different mens v womens. It is tougher for our women (especially those outside of the couple parts of the country with big numbers of players in a small area) to compete for the highest level player slots - especially with both countries feeding into the one college system at the upper levels of play.

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                  The BC women did not have any Canadians on their roster as well. They did not make out as well as their male counter parts. Just saying!
                  ya, ya - got it - I'm jus' saying it is POSSIBLE to put together a team of US players that can do the job well - and not just with 'all stars' at the national level. 5fer's ****y little question got my goat. My point was most definitely NOT that all teams of all US players are superior. better?

Comment

However, don't you find it rather "odd" for a college to enroll, say 1% Canadians, yet have a hockey team roster that's 55% Canadian? If you don't find that a little queer, then perhaps you are.

Well, apparently other than BC, none of the coaches at universities with D1 teams, or their admission departments, think it's odd at all. And judging by the lack of support you are getting in this thread, most others don't find it odd either.

Which I guess leave you as the one who's the odd man out.

Comment

Originally posted by BTW67 View Post
                      Of course.

The difference is this. He doesn't work for GM, Ford or Chrysler, nor does anyone in his family...so there's no downside to him to buy a foreign car that he perceives as better.

However, he does really want to see his daughter playing college hockey on a scholarship, and he sees Canadians who are likely better than she is as a potential threat to that.

Comment

wrong again, Trilly. You too must be a Canadian Univ. grad w/o a clue. Hard to argue with a 3rd grade education. Sorry you just don't get it...I'll try to write slower so you can follow along.

Still, none of you has even tried to argue the point [because you can't]....Why, in a non-revenue sport are U.S. colleges filling their rosters 50% or more with carpetbaggers?
                        Please let me know why this is not happening in other sports, for example college Soccer [where the rest of the world is miles ahead of the U.S. and therefore you would expect most rosters to be 90% non-U.S players]?? Please, genius, just answer that one.

[Go B.C.....way to go Ms. King!]

Comment

His Honda could have very possibly been built in the USA by Americans...or in Canada by Canadians...just sayin'.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Hard to argue with a 3rd grade education.
                            Yes it is. Only smart thing you've ever said. So we'll take your advice and all stop arguing with you.

Comment

wrong again, Trilly. You too must be a Canadian Univ. grad w/o a clue. Hard to argue with a 3rd grade education. Sorry you just don't get it...I'll try to write slower so you can follow along.

Still, none of you has even tried to argue the point [because you can't]....Why, in a non-revenue sport are U.S. colleges filling their rosters 50% or more with carpetbaggers?
                              Please let me know why this is not happening in other sports, for example college Soccer [where the rest of the world is miles ahead of the U.S. and therefore you would expect most rosters to be 90% non-U.S players]?? Please, genius, just answer that one.

[Go B.C.....way to go Ms. King!]
                              Because there are Canadians, Swedes, Finns, Germans, and Swiss etc. that can speak/read/write English well enough to be admitted. You don't have to go across the pond and beat the bushes recruiting, and most importantly tax dollars aren't used for scholarships because schools know some Nationalistic tool like you is going to whine. (Plus, there aren't that many state schools with D1 programs anyway.)
                              Last edited by Hux; 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                                His Honda could have very possibly been built in the USA by Americans...or in Canada by Canadians...just sayin'.
                                True dat, but the wasting of his tax dollars which he professes are his top concern, are going to heavily subsidize the US automakers.

Comment

Working...
                                X