X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open Letter From Committee Chair Bill Bellerose

An Open Letter From Committee Chair Bill Bellerose

Originally posted by Bill Bellerose
    As a committee, our next order of business is to select sites for 2013 and 2014. As most fans are aware we will be at the Xcel Energy Center in Saint Paul next year and at the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa in 2012. With the bids received I can assure you we will be in NHL or NHL-type facilities for 2013 and 2014. This is my last year on the committee so I can't speculate on where the committee will decide to take the Frozen Four beyond 2014.
    Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Re: An Open Letter From Committee Chair Bill Bellerose

I thought that was a fair letter.

Comment

Agreed, and who knows...within the next decade ice making and maintaining the conditions may be improved vastly. I think its something to reconsider down the line by applying the lessons learned from this go around.

And can we stop comparing things to College Basketball? Its a completely different dynamic as a court can just be placed anywhere with no adverse weather conditions.
      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
      2006-2007: 15-24-2
      2007-2008: 20-20-4
      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Okay, but what about this:

"However, if there comes a time when Ford Field bids again, and the committee at that time reached out for my opinion as the chair of the 2010 Men's Ice Hockey Championships, I would definitely tell the committee that it is something they need to take a serious look at. I am certainly not advocating that this is something we should do all the time, or even every four or five years, but I think it would be a mistake to say that we should never consider doing it again. We need to continue to be aggressive in trying to build and grow college hockey, and where that leads us I am not sure, but we certainly need to keep our eyes open."

Although he talked about bringing in Dan Craig, who did Fenway Park, as the ice guru, I noticed he didn't mention that the experiment failed miserably.

I've been posting about college hockey since the Hockey L days. Back then the reference was to "NC$$" all the time. They shell out money foolishly by placing women's basketball in regional venues where the vast majority of seats are empty, and have done the same in college hockey for the last several years. The have to recoup their investment someplace. Football stadiums now seem to be the flavor of the month. You can bet your bottom dollar that the Metrodome will be the site of a FF in the not to distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          You can bet your bottom dollar that the Metrodome will be the site of a FF in the not to distant future.
          I doubt it, if only because the Xcel bids have gone so well. Perhaps they'll reconsider things once the Met Council and the Vikings build or rebuild on the Dome site (which I'm guessing will start construction before 10 years have passed.)

I thought the letter was fair, and though I also wish they would keep hockey in hockey venues, Bellero$e doe$ a good job of telling u$ other non-monetary rea$on$. Now, they need to work on promoting D-I hockey outside of our little community, especially TV and online content.
          Last edited by Beer Pong Horn; 04-15-2010, 07:42 PM.
          Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
          I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
          Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

In an age when accountability seems to be at an all time low, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the fact that he took the time to write a letter and post it to fans. It shows he's listening. I like that in leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
              In an age when accountability seems to be at an all time low, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the fact that he took the time to write a letter and post it to fans. It shows he's listening. I like that in leaders.
              Couldn't agree more. Both with this and with the letter itself.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                I doubt it, if only because the Xcel bids have gone so well. Perhaps they'll reconsider things once the Vikings have left for Los Angeles and the Dome sits empty before 10 years have passed.)
                FYP

Comment

But he didn't really say they did anything wrong. I would have liked for him to own up to the issue of the risers and poor sightlines and say that if they are to do something like this again, they know now the mistake they made and will work to see that it doesn't happen again. I appreciate the effort they made to bring the event there, and I think it's pretty cool that he took the time to write a follow up, but I don't think he fully answered some of the issues that occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    and say that if they are to do something like this again, they know now the mistake they made and will work to see that it doesn't happen again.
                    As his term ends before anything like this can be attempted again, it would be out of place for him to make a promise he won't be in position to keep.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      But he didn't really say they did anything wrong. I would have liked for him to own up to the issue of the risers and poor sightlines and say that if they are to do something like this again, they know now the mistake they made and will work to see that it doesn't happen again. I appreciate the effort they made to bring the event there, and I think it's pretty cool that he took the time to write a follow up, but I don't think he fully answered some of the issues that occurred.
                      He did identify the risers on both sides as issues that need to be worked on...

Comment

Somewhat spin-doctored it seems to me, but I was a critic of the decision and I didn't attend, so my outlook is probably biased and certainly uninformed.

I think one thing that would have been nice would have been when he wrote about the risers behind the bench to say "Unfortunately many of the fans assigned to those seats were long-time attendees, and we apologize to them."

And the last paragraph is fair; in fact one could interpret the fact that he qualified his endorsement and only said that they should consider doing it again and said that it's not necessarily something that should be done every four or five years could be read as "*damming with faint praise."

Anyway, I'm glad this is over and the next four will be in proper venues.

* misspelling is intentional. You can't even write that word?

Comment

Originally posted by Committee Chair Bill Bellerose
                          With the bids received I can assure you we will be in NHL or NHL-type facilities for 2013 and 2014.
                          Reading between the lines, Bradley Center in Milwaukee would qualify as an "NHL-type" facility.

Just speculating, of course.

Comment

Working...
                          X