This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston College Offseason Thread: Basking in the glow.. again

First off, when I started last year's offseason thread and asked if the run was over, I was wrong. Period.

Thanks to Price, Lombardi, Smith and Sneep. Sneep in particular turned into a pretty darn good d-man, and Smith always turned it on when it mattered. Thanks and best wishes to those guys.

Which leaves the question of the quest for 3 out of 4, and most urgently, who might leave early. I think Dumoulin may be the most likely to jump ship, seeing as he plays well beyond his years and Carolina is hurting. I could see Kreider or Hayes going too, but I think Samuelsson isn't ready.

I am hoping that next year doesn't see a repeat of 01-02 and 08-09, and I don't think it'll happen unless BC loses at least two more players early.

Hockey East looks tougher next year too - I think Maine's back at the top and Merrimack may be a contender.

Any word on the season opener or holiday tournaments?
    Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Re: Boston College Offseason Thread: Basking in the glow.. again

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
    First off, when I started last year's offseason thread and asked if the run was over, I was wrong. Period.

Thanks to Price, Lombardi, Smith and Sneep. Sneep in particular turned into a pretty darn good d-man, and Smith always turned it on when it mattered. Thanks and best wishes to those guys.

Which leaves the question of the quest for 3 out of 4, and most urgently, who might leave early. I think Dumoulin may be the most likely to jump ship, seeing as he plays well beyond his years and Carolina is hurting. I could see Kreider or Hayes going too, but I think Samuelsson isn't ready.

I am hoping that next year doesn't see a repeat of 01-02 and 08-09, and I don't think it'll happen unless BC loses at least two more players early.

Hockey East looks tougher next year too - I think Maine's back at the top and Merrimack may be a contender.

Interesting thoughts on Dumoulin. I think despite Carolina having a rough year, Dumoulin will stick around for a sophomore season. I think Jimmy Hayes will definitely stick around for next year (his younger brother will attend this fall) and possibly his senior year as well.

I'm hearing one more year for Kreider and he is done. I agree with you on Samuellson, I don't see him leaving either.

All in all, I don't expect anyone to leave early, so that is good news if next year's seniors can step up and fill in the leadership roles left by Price, Lombardi, Smith and Sneep.
    National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
    two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
    b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post

another thread has us in the GLI and going to Denver for 2 as well as Wisconsin here for one (they also will play UNH that weekend) , this , again, from another thread.................season opener ?? i can't wait........and i can't wait to see another National Championship banner go up. I just wish they would put our classic maroon and gold banners back instead of the absolutely cheesy , cheap looking garbage that they have up there now.........who's idea was that anyway?? it looks TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Comment

I'm just happy that the ESPN guys finally called him Sneep instead of Snep.

I guess that just comes with getting there enough.
        Chris V
        Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          another thread has us in the GLI and going to Denver for 2 as well as Wisconsin here for one (they also will play UNH that weekend) , this , again, from another thread.................season opener ?? i can't wait........and i can't wait to see another National Championship banner go up. I just wish they would put our classic maroon and gold banners back instead of the absolutely cheesy , cheap looking garbage that they have up there now.........who's idea was that anyway?? it looks TERRIBLE!!!!!!
          I think they were running out of room in the rafters and decided to put all the retired jerseys on the wall in the west end of arena. I'd rather have the old NC banners...at least if you're going to replace them just get new versions of the old ones.
          I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

“I want to be like them.” -Scott Sandelin

Comment

Jerry York is a genius. No two ways about it. Not only does he recruit the right players, he's the best I've ever seen at in game and in season adjustments.

Most coaches bring in good kids and make them fit into their system.

IMHO Coach York brings in good kids and decides what the style of play best suits that individual team's strengths.

He knows exactly how to get the most out of his kids and what do to against whatever team BC is playing.

Not many coaches can do this.

I'm not sure if it's a case that he doesn't tip his hand early in the season as to what his team is good at or he just learns what his team is good at and adjusts accordingly.

He's virtually unstoppable in March.

Congrats!

At least I have 2009....thank goodness for that...
            Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

I dropped all USCHO's Schedule pages since 2000-2001 into Excel.

Overall BC is 265-114-39 (.634). They are 49-17-4 (.700) in March, 57-20-4 (.703) in April AND March, and 8-3-0 (.727) in April alone.

The lovefest for Jerry is pretty intense right now, but you can see why when you listen to his postgame interview on the ice on ESPN. He's asked what makes this NC special, and he goes off on a tangent about how great Wisco is, naming Eaves by name more than once. It's like Belichik, only York means it.

Redmen, good point on Hayes. I have a sneaky suspicion that Dumoulin will leave. If he does, it'll be a huge loss. The guy is awesome.
              Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

As far as players leaving early you have to wonder what kind of value they would have if they were to go out with another championship next year. Never has a team looked as solid on paper as BC does next year so one more year may be money in the bank for those mentioned as possibilities to leave early. Geoffrion stayed for his senior year and won the Hobey and that certainly helped his value in a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                  As far as players leaving early you have to wonder what kind of value they would have if they were to go out with another championship next year. Never has a team looked as solid on paper as BC does next year so one more year may be money in the bank for those mentioned as possibilities to leave early. Geoffrion stayed for his senior year and won the Hobey and that certainly helped his value in a contract.
                  Did we get any sort of confirmation that Kreider and Hayes are coming back?
                  I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

Lombardi post-game
                    ******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5H-mKLpYQ38&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5H-mKLpYQ38&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

Congrats to BC. The gauntlet is tossed back to BU.

Zudnic, if you could find a pic of a player holding the 1949 trophy that would be awesome.

Comment

Found vids of Gibbons and Atkinson post-game...

Gibbons-
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7Owm-u188

Atkinson-
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfS9ErNna6A

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                          I just wish they would put our classic maroon and gold banners back instead of the absolutely cheesy , cheap looking garbage that they have up there now.........who's idea was that anyway?? it looks TERRIBLE!!!!!!
                          I agree with that.

Also, put them where people can see them, not over to the side with the other banners. How about center ice?
                          Boston College Eagles
                          NCAA Champions

Bentley University Falcons

Comment

J. Whitney-Gibbons-C. Atkinson
                            Kreider-Arnold-J. Hayes
                            Carey-Mullane-S. Whitney
                            Almeida-Ferriero-K. Hayes

Cross-Alber
                            Dumoulin-Shea
                            Samuelsson-Wey

Muse

Bring it on!

Comment

Is there any chance of Muse leaving? His stock probably won't get any better than it is now and this year might be his best chance of getting on track to a pro team...

Plus, there's always the chance of getting unseated by Milner or Billett. It's a good problem to have. I guess it depends on what his priorities are.

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                              X