Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How was the Frozen Four form people who went?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How was the Frozen Four form people who went?

I would like to get feed back from people who were in Detroit for this year's frozen four. It looked brutal on TV, but was it as bad as looked? let's face it TV doesn't tell the whole story. Did the NCAA screw the pooch on this one?
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Re: How was the Frozen Four form people who went?

i think watching live was much better than watching on the jumbotron.. i had a great view and I couldnt even see the pipes from where i was sitting. it certainly didnt distract me at all compared to how choppy the video feed looked on the replays.

as expected, the sound didnt travel well; but that isnt to say it was quiet in there. i couldnt understand most of what RIT was chanting - but it wasnt that much different than other locations with no legit home team.

obviously none of the games were competitive which sucked. atleast erin nicole was *** hot. needless to say, i had a lot of fun.
    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
      atleast erin nicole was *** hot.
      She just needs to learn something about hockey.

Comment

The sightlines from my seat were pretty decent. Whether they were really better than the $40 seats sold at the last minute is another question.

Sound was poor, as SteveF mentioned. Not much ambience during the games. The awards evening was almost a total loss. Couldn't hear much of anything on Friday night. Also, positioning media guys between the speakers and the crowd was . . . well, daft. [/brit] On the plus side, at least I got a great view of Melrose's mullet while I was not understanding the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru quality PA system.

RenCen Marriott was fine. Better than fine. The people mover was cool enough, but less functional than you'd like. You can tell it predates Ford Field and Comerica.

Overall, I had a good time. I don't think the venue was a complete disaster. I had a good time at Comerica on Saturday, too. No complaints about the city.

Bottom line: I'd go back to Detroit for a FF in a heartbeat - if it was at Joe Louis.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by TJbadgerfan View Post
          ["Rim" joke goes here]
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            ["Rim" joke goes here]
            That phrase is sure to stick around here. The guy sitting next to said "oh no she didn't!
            Providence College
            National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

I thought it was good. But this was my first FF and I'm from Detroit so it could be inexperience and bias on my part .

And I am now in love with Erin Nicole.

Comment

Originally posted by TJbadgerfan View Post
                And keep the mic in front of her mouth. When she took it down and smiled real big, all I could see was teeth.

And don't try and look up pictures of her online. I wanted to see what all magazines she's been in (bleach blonde hair, two first names, I figured it was a slam dunk she'd been in playboy) and there was another lady that looks similar to her but is definitely not her in some very...interesting...pictures and videos. So I guess I was part right.
                Go Sioux!!!
                Go Cadets!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Yelnick View Post
                  And keep the mic in front of her mouth. When she took it down and smiled real big, all I could see was teeth.

And don't try and look up pictures of her online. I wanted to see what all magazines she's been in (bleach blonde hair, two first names, I figured it was a slam dunk she'd been in playboy) and there was another lady that looks similar to her but is definitely not her in some very...interesting...pictures and videos. So I guess I was part right.
                  I didn't see the other Erin Nicole, but I didn't find anything really interesting about the real one. Just this link, via Google:
                  http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...8/Erin-Nicole/

Apparently, she worked as in-arena 'talent' for the Pistons. That might explain the "rim" slip.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                    I didn't see the other Erin Nicole, but I didn't find anything really interesting about the real one. Just this link, via Google:
                    http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...8/Erin-Nicole/

Apparently, she worked as in-arena 'talent' for the Pistons. That might explain the "rim" slip.
                    She works for the ABC station in Detroit. She does the traffic report on the AM show from 5 am to 7 am, prior to good morning america. She was doing it friday morning. Never looked that good on TV though.
                    I guess you wouldn't either if you got up at 3 30 every day.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The NCAA "screwed the pooch" I believe is the saying on this one. The rink was built very poorly. You could see the lines from the cooling under the ice, but looking at the jumbo-tron it looked much worse on the TV then in person. The micing in the arena was really awkward because on random occasion over the PA you would here a random skate hitting the ice or someone receiving the puck. So that was incredibly inconsistent. EVERYONE I talked to in the crowd was incredibly disappointed we didn't get to see these games in the Red Wings house. But it was common consensus that the NCAA was only there to make money and set an indoor record.

While were on the subject, to the NCAA:
                      Next time I go to one of your events and get pulled aside and told that "you knew I was coming and am in no way allowed to bring my school flag into the arena" you will be hearing from me. To make that worse we couldn't bring in our USA flag either... commies... But it was nice to see BC and Wisco fans brought their flags in without problems.
                      R I T HOCKEY
                      Atlantic Hockey Association Conference
                      Regular Season Champions
                      2007-2009-2010
                      AHA Tournament Champions
                      Frozen Four

"Were Loud and Obnoxious at hockey games!"
                      Proud Corner Crew member

Comment

As a first timer to the Frozen Four, I thought it was a great time. If you were only there for the games, then maybe you didn't have as much fun, but for myself and the other RIT fans who traveled and stayed the weekend, we had a great time seeing and experiencing Detroit, the surrounding area, and the Frozen Four. Could the hockey itself have been better? Sure. But overall, it was a lot of fun and Detroit definitely made a good impression on myself and everyone else in our group. Detroit, you're okay in my book. *thumbs up*
                        e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by Choose Death View Post
                          EVERYONE I talked to in the crowd was incredibly disappointed we didn't get to see these games in the Red Wings house.
                          You apparently didn't talk to any of the 17,000+ people that couldn't have gotten into the building if it was at the Joe. Or anyone that has actually been inside the Joe. If it was at JLA, there would have been a ton of complaining about holding the event in a third-rate facility.

I've heard a number of people ***** about the lines under the rink, but no one has explained why that is a big deal. I mean, I guess they were there, but it didn't effect anything.

The atmosphere thing is overplayed too. There was a definite 'wow' moment when Wisconsin took the ice for the championship. It wasn't Ford Field's fault that Wisconsin did nothing worth cheering for the next 60 minutes. I was at the 2004 Frozen Four championship game in Boston, and the atmosphere was pretty much the same, except for the last two minutes of the game, and that had absolutely nothing to do with which pro team regularly played there.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            You apparently didn't talk to any of the 17,000+ people that couldn't have gotten into the building if it was at the Joe. Or anyone that has actually been inside the Joe. If it was at JLA, there would have been a ton of complaining about holding the event in a third-rate facility.

I've heard a number of people ***** about the lines under the rink, but no one has explained why that is a big deal. I mean, I guess they were there, but it didn't effect anything.

The atmosphere thing is overplayed too. There was a definite 'wow' moment when Wisconsin took the ice for the championship. It wasn't Ford Field's fault that Wisconsin did nothing worth cheering for the next 60 minutes. I was at the 2004 Frozen Four championship game in Boston, and the atmosphere was pretty much the same, except for the last two minutes of the game, and that had absolutely nothing to do with which pro team regularly played there.
                            The 2004 game was between a team that was very good at boring hockey and a team that was flawless at it. And I say this as a fan of one of the two.

That doesn't begin to describe the teams that played on Saturday. And despite failing to score, Wisconsin generated plenty of excitement on the ice. Especially in the latter half of the 2nd period.

Ford Field is a great facility. I don't like it for a Frozen Four. I don't give a rip if an arena has all the amenities of something built in the last decade. I go to baseball games at Fenway fercrissakes.

And I have nothing bad to say about Detroit. I'm just not anxious for another stadium FF.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

For people who were there, I hear it wasn't that noticeable, and no I can't imagine it actually affected the ice. However, for the tv viewer (and the casual sports fan who happened across the games, and hopefully stayed tuned in to watch the games), it was really distracting. They were that noticeable, and took a little away from the appearance/presentation of the game.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                              X