This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Maine offseason: a lazy summer on the Stillwater

Yeah, the thread title sucks. What of it?

Re: 2010 Maine offseason: a lazy summer on the Stillwater

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    I would not say that. Kinda fits actually.

Comment

I think I'd be pretty excited for next season if I were a Maine fan. Assuming you find a way to solidify the goaltending situation, the offense looks to be downright scary.
      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
      BC - 12
      BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
        I like it!

Comment

Brings back alot of memories of my youth!

Comment

Is it october yet?
            It may be 10 below, Under 5 feet of snow,
            But no matter where we go, WE ALL LOVE ORONO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mainetwentytwelve View Post
              Is it october yet?
              Hey, I at least want something of a summer first. By late August, I will be saying the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                I think I'd be pretty excited for next season if I were a Maine fan. Assuming you find a way to solidify the goaltending situation, the offense looks to be downright scary.
                Well, there's a new goalie recruit on the boards. Kids fairly high up the CSB list, so he must have potential. If Darling gets his head on straight and does everything he needs to do, there could be a spirited competition for playing time next year.

Whitehead's still got some work to do [/understatement], but there are enough encouraging signs that I'm anxious for October. Been a few years since I've written that.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Seems like man-up time for Darling. And he's probably fortunate that the sheet hit the fan when it did - during his sophomore year instead of his senior or pro-level year when this could have killed his career. If he gets squared away, he has the chance to come back for two more years, and show the pros what he is capable of. Here's hoping he's successful.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    Seems like man-up time for Darling. And he's probably fortunate that the sheet hit the fan when it did - during his sophomore year instead of his senior or pro-level year when this could have killed his career. If he gets squared away, he has the chance to come back for two more years, and show the pros what he is capable of. Here's hoping he's successful.
                    Agreed 100%. The kid's got great size and athleticism, once he gets his act together he's got great potential. I know we all hope the best for him.

If things don't go his way, it looks like we have 1, maybe 2, solid up-and-coming goaltenders, who can only improve over the next 3-4 years and get Maine hockey back on the map nationally. TIMMAY'S got the program back on track. Can't wait til October!!!
                    PP34 - BEAT LA

Comment

Originally posted by gusforhobey89 View Post
                      TIMMAY'S got the program back on track. Can't wait til October!!!
                      I wouldn't consider missing 3 straight NCAA Tourneys as "back on track".......

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                        I wouldn't consider missing 3 straight NCAA Tourneys as "back on track".......
                        the expectations have been lowered. 2 games above .500 is all it takes for some to be happy
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          the expectations have been lowered. 2 games above .500 is all it takes for some to be happy
                          Happy because it seems to be headed in the right directiion, not satisfied. There's a difference.

Comment

I said it all year prior to the suspension....

"There are nights Darling looks unbeatable, and nights he looks....well....distracted...."

Finding out the details of his suspension made a LOT of sense.

He DOES have a brain up there and has to realize....if nothing else.....the Coyotes are probably NOT impressed with his antics. If he cleans up his act and plays with his reputation and future on the line....along with this french kid pushing him....I say he emerges better than ever.

Some say goaltending inconsistency, some say defense....but I actually struggle to find a huge weakness in next years team. (OK, Head Coach )

I am NOT worried about goaltending...at all, actually.

The D got a pretty bad rep for their end of the year run...but lets not forget how banged up they were. By the end, they were dressing everyone healthy enough to play, and of them, Dimmen was on a bad knee and Hegarty was probably playing with a concussion. Van Dyk was playing without Banwell consistently for the first time in his 3 years...I mean, it was just a mess. We had a 5'8'' freshman forward playing D for us in a playoff game for heaven's sake. I love Matt to death....but c'mon....that was a telltale sign that we weren't under normal circumstances.

TRUTH IS....we have 5 seniors/juniors anchoring next year's D-Corps....and more than any other position.....EXPERIENCE goes the farthest with D in college hockey. Mediocre nobodies can look like fairly significant players by their upperclass years on the blueline, and I'd like to believe our five are better than that to begin with!

Dim and O'Neill will be a premeir pairing in our league. Ban and Van play best together and they'll be reunited, barring health, playing approximately 100 games together as D-linemates by the end of the year. Hegarty led our D-Men in +/- even though he was kind of quiet. Cornell looks like a hardnosed, real MAINE D-Man. Pryor is an NHL draftee who is coping with injuries, but obviously could be an impact player with health. They just verballed with the EJHL's D-Man of the year....and I think Nemec exceeded everyones expectations this past year. I really don't see where the problem lies in D.

A presentable *at very least* defense, on top of returning eight 20+point scorers (not even including Joey Diamond), and two NHL draftee goalies competing for time????

Pressures on, Timbo, because anything short of a trip to Minny will be a failure with this caliber team.

Comment

Originally posted by GoMaine24 View Post
                              I I really don't see where the problem lies in D.

COrnell hit someone at the Garden and Banwell hit a couple guys out at UMass.

other than that, it was poke check and watch the guy in the crease get off a one timer.

I am glad that a few of them know how to (and are allowed to) jump into the offense, but they cannot all fit into the Lundin 8-TOTAL-penalty minutes in 3 years mold

Comment

Working...
                              X