This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Maine offseason: a lazy summer on the Stillwater

zero chance corkum plays on a line over anthoine, unless politics kick in. which wont shock me if they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      zero chance corkum plays on a line over anthoine, unless politics kick in. which wont shock me if they do.
      ...Lets hope BOTH are key's to Maine's depth and Winning Ways for 2010-11.

Comment

agreed

it will be difficult to play for a team with your dad coaching, especially one that is followed so closely. Lets hope it does not get in the way.

Comment

So I’ve been thinking of more crazy chit idea:

Here we go!

What if you replaced Flynn on the first line with Shemansky. Shemansky becomes the next Cal Ingraham and gets a bunch of those “clean up crap around the net” goals like Ingraham used to, and Shemansky seemed to have a knack for the first half of last year. Then Flynn can become the center peace of a third line. With the second line being Abbot/Dee/Diamond.

Or………maybe Flynn is not as good as his numbers and couldn’t anchor his own line and is a product of being on the same line with Nyquist and House.

Questions:

1. Could Flynn anchor his own line?
          2. Would Abbot/Dee/Diamond be a #1 line on any other Hockey East teams like PC or UMass?
          3. Are the Ice Girls/Cheerleaders going to get any hotter or increase in numbers?

Comment

But Maine did not have the understanding of what NCAA regulations required and it did not have an athletic department infrastructure in place to ensure that violations did not occur.
            But isn't that sorta the AD's job?
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
              So I’ve been thinking of more crazy chit idea:
              I'd like to see Mangene stay on D, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling having the same D as last year and thats what we have right now
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                I'd like to see Mangene stay on D, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling having the same D as last year and thats what we have right now
                ...Mangene would fit in the D-man position well...but I don't think you'll see him there unless there's injuries or as you say there's a lost in faith by the Coaches in the returning/incoming d-men on the Roster during the Season...one thing for sure is that Mangene is a unsung player that wherever he plays you'll know he's there and giving nothing but 100% input.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  But isn't that sorta the AD's job?
                  It is now, which is why the AD has a full-time person who's job is to ensure compliance with all NCAA regulations. Ultimately, the AD's job is what the President of the university says it is, and during the early 90s, the university (i.e., the President's office) did not view failure to comply with NCAA regulations as a major concern. We were the University of Maine, not Texas or Alabama or UCLA, and we were purer than the driven snow. We didn't need an AD who was concerned with compliance; we needed an AD who could help us reap the benefits of our newfound national prominence. Eventually, we learned that failure to comply with NCAA regulations had consequences.

My recollection is that Shawn Walsh's problems with the NCAA started when he recruited Jeff Tory, based on a ruling by British Columbia education officials that his grades were OK. Others, including, I believe, Alaska-Fairbanks, had reached a contrary conclusion, and when Tory enrolled at Maine, questions were raised. If that situation had occurred today, two thing would have been different. First, Tory's credentials would have been reviewed by the UMaine compliance office, which would have had all relevant information at its fingertips and would have pushed back on the idea that Tory might be ineligible. In addition, Tory would have had to go through the NCAA Clearinghouse, which didn't exist when he applied--and which I think was created in large measure to deal with cases like his.

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                    It is now, which is why the AD has a full-time person who's job is to ensure compliance with all NCAA regulations. Ultimately, the AD's job is what the President of the university says it is, and during the early 90s, the university (i.e., the President's office) did not view failure to comply with NCAA regulations as a major concern. We were the University of Maine, not Texas or Alabama or UCLA, and we were purer than the driven snow. We didn't need an AD who was concerned with compliance; we needed an AD who could help us reap the benefits of our newfound national prominence. Eventually, we learned that failure to comply with NCAA regulations had consequences.

My recollection is that Shawn Walsh's problems with the NCAA started when he recruited Jeff Tory, based on a ruling by British Columbia education officials that his grades were OK. Others, including, I believe, Alaska-Fairbanks, had reached a contrary conclusion, and when Tory enrolled at Maine, questions were raised. If that situation had occurred today, two thing would have been different. First, Tory's credentials would have been reviewed by the UMaine compliance office, which would have had all relevant information at its fingertips and would have pushed back on the idea that Tory might be ineligible. In addition, Tory would have had to go through the NCAA Clearinghouse, which didn't exist when he applied--and which I think was created in large measure to deal with cases like his.
                    When Jeff Tory enrolled at Maine and appeared on the hockey roster, I seem to recall that there were some Hockey East coaches that were well aware of Tory's academic ineligibility and reported this to the NCAA. Do you know if this was the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      When Jeff Tory enrolled at Maine and appeared on the hockey roster, I seem to recall that there were some Hockey East coaches that were well aware of Tory's academic ineligibility and reported this to the NCAA. Do you know if this was the case?
                      Jack Parker was the one according to rumor anyway, I thought he recruited Tory as well?
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If memory serves me right, Rick Comley of Northern Michigan recruited Tory. Tory was ruled ineligible and wasn’t allowed to play for Comley or NMU. Walsh brought him to Maine, thinking Tory was eligible, and Comley wrote a letter to the NCAA complaining, after that the investigation was on. Walsh believed Parker shared a role in the investigation also, but to what extent isn’t clear. One thing was clear at the time, there was no love lost between Parker and Walshie.

Comment

Parker is a p-r-i-c-k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            And to maybe pay a little more attention to the football program,which is still on the 1-AA map.Maine has 5 guys in the NFL;I'd hate to see them fall back to how lousy it was when I went there.
                            That wasn't the leather helmet days, was it?
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              I'd like to see Nemec in more of a full-time role, he impressed with what I saw of him. Showed more than Cornell or Hegarty have so far.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                As others on this board have said, that is substantially true. However, I would point out that at the time, the NCAA Clearinghouse didn't exist, and there wasn't any procedure in place for getting a definitive ruling ahead of time on what was allowable and what wasn't. Yes, another coach recruited Tory and concluded he was not eligible, but Walsh believed that a ruling by British Columbia provincial educational authorities (or something like that) that Tory had graduated from high school was sufficient basis for Maine to presume that he was eligible. Not long after the Tory situation, the NCAA instituted the Clearinghouse. If the Clearinghouse had been in place at the time, Tory would have had to go through the Clearinghouse, which would have declared him not eligible, and Walsh would have been spared a lot of heartache.

Comment

Working...
                                X