• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Maine offseason: a lazy summer on the Stillwater

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Good news for Kelen
    http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/149479.html

Good news for us fans too, can't wait to see him play
    Here's hoping that Kelen will stay healthy and enjoys a fine career for Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      Here's hoping that Kelen will stay healthy and enjoys a fine career for Maine.
      ditto that....as he says, he's got to learn when to take a hit and when to step aside....first few games will be critical to him learning to keep his emotions in check...that being said, those emotions also make an average player into a helluva good player.....also anxious to watch him play....also hopeful he will have a long career from here forward.
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
        That's an awfully good question that I haven't heard "official" word on, but my assumption would be yes! How else would an automatic bid be awarded?
        They COULD award a bid to any team that wins its league regular season, and one to the team that wins its conference tournament.

I think the reason that they ditched that was because it would not be fair to a team like Wisconsin, (the potential 5th best team in the country, but non winner of the WCHA regular season or final-5) to have to watch from their TV sets while Bemidi,(the conference regular season winner and 24th in the country) and (Army, the tournament winner, and 52nd in the country) got to play in the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
          To those concerned about Maine's goaltending situation next year:

Scott Darling was ranked 10th in Hockey East in sv% both years he played.

Maine only needs average goaltending to compete next year.

Just a thought.
          How do you plan on beating BC with average goaltending?
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            How do you plan on beating BC with average goaltending?
            gosh, last time Maine played BC, Maine had no problem putting in 6, how good does Maine's goaltending have to be?

can it be worse than letting in 7?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
              gosh, last time Maine played BC, Maine had no problem putting in 6, how good does Maine's goaltending have to be?

can it be worse than letting in 7?
              Hopefully the new guys get some playing time and some confidence. Willy could have been a heck of a lot better if he had some playing time during the course of his carreer

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                Hopefully the new guys get some playing time and some confidence. Willy could have been a heck of a lot better if he had some playing time during the course of his carreer
                I'm certainly not convinced of that. Willy was Willy. He was what he was....sometimes decent, often not. You never knew for sure what you would get from here on any given night. Consistency certainly wasnt his strength. That being said, its been awhile since we've had a season long consistent goalie....Howard?
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  I'm certainly not convinced of that. Willy was Willy. He was what he was....sometimes decent, often not. You never knew for sure what you would get from here on any given night. Consistency certainly wasnt his strength. That being said, its been awhile since we've had a season long consistent goalie....Howard?
                  Doyle?

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                    Howard or Doyle, but Jimmy wasn't consistent his freshman year
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Howard or Doyle, but Jimmy wasn't consistent his freshman year
                      Sophomore year, wasn't it? Freshman he was steady as a rock.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        No, Jimmy was super-solid during his sophomore year, posting an NCAA-record GAA of 1.19. I believe he had mono the summer before his freshman year and while he often played very well, he wasn't as consistent as he was during his sophomore and junior years. His GAA as a freshman was around 2.45, while Frank Doyle's GAA was below 2.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Jimmy was solid before World Jrs

Comment

Jimmy was solid before World Jrs
                            I agree entirely, but the key word is the "before," he wasn't the same Jimmy afterwards. I think Doyle is the most underappreciated goalie Maine has had in the past decade or so - I would have been happy to have him as a badger any day.
                            Go Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky T. Badger View Post
                              I agree entirely, but the key word is the "before," he wasn't the same Jimmy afterwards. I think Doyle is the most underappreciated goalie Maine has had in the past decade or so - I would have been happy to have him as a badger any day.
                              Not under appreciated by me or many others. Jimmy was and is a star but Frankie would have started at most other schools without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky T. Badger View Post
                                I agree entirely, but the key word is the "before," he wasn't the same Jimmy afterwards.
                                Actually he played really well when he came back he was 4-1 1.98 gaa and .943% in his first 5 games back including Maine's first win at UNH in 5 or 6 years. He fell apart the second weekend of February and was pretty bad in 5 of his last 6 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X