X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Maine offseason: a lazy summer on the Stillwater

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    (Thanks for the link!)

I wish they wouldn't schedule the USU18's for Portland.

I saw the U-18's beat the snot out of my local D-3 team last season,and that was interesting enough,but it doesn't translate well to D-1.Why not make that Portland game one that counts for Maine,FCS?

I ain't gonna drive for 5 hours to watch a mere exhibition,especially in mid-season,and I doubt that the casual fan in Cumberland County is going to keep showing up for a game that doesn't matter.Bring in Jimmy Montgomery and his RPI squad every year,or something...Please!
    Monty is no longer with RPI. He's the head coach/GM of the Dubuque Fighting Saints (no oxymoron there ) of the USHL.

I believe Maine was planning on playing Clarkson in Portland, but that deal fell through. The Black Bears usually play someone from the ECAC down there (RPI, Brown, St. Lawrence).

Here are a few more articles about The Maine Man and his new team.

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
      Jim Montgomery is no longer coaching for RPI..

I agree though, U-18 in Portland is foolish, it should at very least be a game that counts. Honestly, having a BU or BC game there wouldn't be a bad idea considering the amount of people from the Boston area in Portland.
      I always thought it would be great to play unh there having a game in Durham, Orono and Portland one year and the next year Orono, Durham and the Phone Booth in Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
        I always thought it would be great to play unh there having a game in Durham, Orono and Portland one year and the next year Orono, Durham and the Phone Booth in Manchester.
        There would be more UHN fans there than Maine fans. Why would Maine give up home ice, the crowd AND the game gate against a traditional rival?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          There would be more UHN fans there than Maine fans. Why would Maine give up home ice, the crowd AND the game gate against a traditional rival?
          Agreed, not playing at the Alfond would be dumb, it would basically be giving up any and all home ice advantage.

Comment

Because it would be a big step in expanding the fan base to southern Maine, where people are.. But I would rather they play UNH up in Orono and a BU or BC at Portland
            Last edited by MaineMan; 05-17-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Because it would be a big step in expanding the fan base to southern Maine, where people are.. But I would rather they play UNH up in Orono and a BU or BC at Portland

ask the unh fans their thoughts on playing at the vwa... they hate it... why give up the home ice advantage against a league opponent... portland should be hosting an out of conference game, but unfortunately, they have a limited home ooc schedule this year... as was mentioned, they were supposed to play clarkson in portland, but something happened with clarkson's schedule and they pushed the game to the following year. as much as they would like to expand the fan base, they need to re-establish the school's profile nationally for recruiting purposes, etc.. to do that, you need to win, and alfond gives them the best chance to do that..

Comment

USCHO article on Soloman's concussions.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...esSolomon.html

Comment

Continued success will expand the fan base. Or regain some of the fairweather fans anyway

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                    Continued success will expand the fan base. Or regain some of the fairweather fans anyway
                    You mean all of the fans that have come on board since the 92-93 season?

Maine will do well to hang onto the 4,000 or so diehards that they currently have.......nevermind "expanding" it. As long as Whitehead is around, there will be a glass ceiling on the popularity of this program.

Comment

Those schools travel well, too.

Give a Boston school's traveling fans an opportunity to drive 2 hours instead of 4+ to see the Maine game, let alone get to sit in seats where they can see the scoreboard and not get dripped on...it would be pretty appealing.

I like playing the ECAC there.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                        You mean all of the fans that have come on board since the 92-93 season?
                        The fans we had even in 92-93 were pretty fair-weather. The weather just happened to be good. The "fans" we had showed their true colors in the Alfond on Saturday, February 20 that year.

I still say the expansion of 91-92 ruined that place.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                          ask the unh fans their thoughts on playing at the vwa... they hate it... why give up the home ice advantage against a league opponent... portland should be hosting an out of conference game, but unfortunately, they have a limited home ooc schedule this year... as was mentioned, they were supposed to play clarkson in portland, but something happened with clarkson's schedule and they pushed the game to the following year. as much as they would like to expand the fan base, they need to re-establish the school's profile nationally for recruiting purposes, etc.. to do that, you need to win, and alfond gives them the best chance to do that..
                          OK but UNH isn't four hours away from Boston, giving them a different situation. UNH is also not hours away from the population center of its State. Is the Alfond a nice home ice advantage? yes of course. But we're talking about one game a year and I think it would be worth it to have a game that counts there. Do you really think that the CCCC gives the team so much of a disadvantage that it isn't worth expanding interest in the hockey program?

Comment

The "fans" we had showed their true colors in the Alfond on Saturday, February 20 that year.

I still say the expansion of 91-92 ruined that place.
                            Is that the 2nd BU game?

selling seats to the highest bidder is what ruined the place
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Is that the 2nd BU game?
                              Indeed.

I thought I was going to get lynched at that game because it was so quiet in there two entire sections of people heard me complain about the lack of noise...and they didn't look too happy with me. Of course I was right, otherwise they wouldn't have heard me

Comment

Indeed.

I thought I was going to get lynched at that game because it was so quiet in there two entire sections of people heard me complain about the lack of noise...and they didn't look too happy with me. Of course I was right, otherwise they wouldn't have heard me
                                Could have fooled me, I saw a fight in the stands between a BU fan and a Maine fan, the place was rockin around me
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X