Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best coaches of all time.

John Hill
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Shawn Walsh*
      Fixed your post.
      Originally posted by reBlur
      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Think about York. His teams have won 8 straight NCAA regional games. His teams at BC have never lost in the first round.
        2006: W,W,W,L
        2007: W,W,W,L
        2008: W,W,W,W
        2009: Nill
        2010: W,W,W,W

So the Eagles haven't lost a regional game since the final to the Sioux in 2005. Like I said, I think that kind of consistency is extremely impressive. To be in 4 of 5 national championship games, 5 of 7 Frozen Fours, 8 FFs in 12 years, six NCAA finals in 12 years...that's beyond reproach.

To me being up there every single season is remarkable.

Lucia being in 3 out of 4 FFs is awesome. Heck Tim Whitehead did that. But stretching that kind of FF percentage over 12 years? Who else is doing that right now?
        Last edited by BoSox3066; 04-12-2010, 12:00 AM. Reason: Right, wrong nill

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
          That isn't true at all.

Lucia was 8-1 in those 3 tournaments. Lucia was 7-0 in 2002 and 2003. He was 8-1 in 2002, 2003 and 2004.
          Better check it again. He won 7 straight from 2001-03 and the first regional game in 2004.

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          2006: W,W,W,L
          2007: W,W,W,L
          2008: Nill
          2009: W,W,W,W
          2010: W,W,W,W

So the Eagles haven't lost a regional game since the final to the Sioux in 2005. Like I said, I think that kind of consistency is extremely impressive. To be in 4 of 5 national championship games, 5 of 7 Frozen Fours, 8 FFs in 12 years, six NCAA finals in 12 years...that's beyond reproach.

To me being up there every single season is remarkable.

Lucia being in 3 out of 4 FFs is awesome. Heck Tim Whitehead did that. But stretching that kind of FF percentage over 12 years? Who else is doing that right now?
          They won the title in 2007-08. They didn't make the NCAAs in 2009.

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          What you're looking at, then, is consecutive NC's. Conveniently constructed to include your guy, and exclude virtually everybody else.
          Lucia and Gwoz get bonus points for Back to Back Championships.
          Last edited by HarleyMC; 04-11-2010, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Herb Brooks

Why?

The only college coach to be in the following hall of fames; the Hockey Hall of Fame, US hockey hall of fame and the International hockey hall of fame.

Don't forget there were two movies about him. I can't think of any past or current college coaches to have such a honor.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              I'm around the program enough to see a large number of players interact with him. And by interact I don't mean walk up and yell "I hate you you stupid old man!" to him. Does everyone have every single person they have met on life love or hate them? No.

But to come here and type "all hate him" is in fact stupid. Sorry.
              So I'll take that has none... You didn't play with any or know any as close friends.. Any of them go to your wedding? No, I didn't think so... Of course not everyone hated him, but most do... He's an *******.

Comment

Since 1998, York's teams:

98: Lost in national final (Michigan :grr: )
                99: Lost in national semis (Maine)
                00: Lost in national final (UND)
                01: Won NC (UND)
                02: Did not make tourney
                03: Lost in Regonal final (Cornell in OT)
                04: Lost in national semi (Maine)
                05: Lost in regional final (UND)
                06: Lost in national final (Wisconsin)
                07: Lost in national final to (MSU)
                08: Won NC (Notre Dame)
                09: Did not make tourney
                10: Won NC (Wisconsin)

13 years, 3 championships, 7 national final appearances, 9 FF appearances. In this span they also have 7 Hockey East tournament titles (not including the 2000 final and the Mike Mottau tripping incident.. we're not still ticked about that )
                Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  I dispute the notion that Jerry York is the best "All-Time"....as he's coached college hockey about 22 years longer than Bob Johnson did (3 titles), and 28 years longer than Herb Brooks did (3 titles), et cetera.

If these 2 guys in particular had stayed in the college ranks they'd certainly have north of 4 titles each by now. In fact, the landscape of college hockey would be much different today had they stayed but that's another story altogether.

To say Jerry York is the best today would be more accurate. You'd get no argument from me on that. Clearly he's the best coach of the last 10-15 years.
                  That's like saying Jimmy Johnson is the greatest college football coach.
                  I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

“I want to be like them.” -Scott Sandelin

Comment

This thread is a joke your saying the coach who JUST won the national title game is the best ever... I wonder how many times that has happened...
                    Originally posted by Mankato student
                    Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                    "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                    -- Peter Klein

Comment

This thread is a joke, your saying the coach who JUST won the national title game is the best ever... I wonder how many times that has happened...
                      Originally posted by Mankato student
                      Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                      "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                      -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
                        This thread is a joke your saying the coach who JUST won the national title game is the best ever... I wonder how many times that has happened...
                        Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
                        This thread is a joke, your saying the coach who JUST won the national title game is the best ever... I wonder how many times that has happened...
                        No need to say it twice. The thread is not saying Jerry is the best of all time, the thread is discussing where he sits on the list. If you look at what BC has done the last 12 years, it puts him on the list of best all time coaches. Where he sits on the list is up for discussion.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                          Since 1998, York's teams:

98: Lost in national final (Michigan :grr: )
                          99: Lost in national semis (Maine)
                          00: Lost in national final (UND)
                          01: Won NC (UND)
                          02: Did not make tourney
                          03: Lost in Regonal final (Cornell in OT)
                          04: Lost in national semi (Maine)
                          05: Lost in regional final (UND)
                          06: Lost in national final (Wisconsin)
                          07: Lost in national final to (MSU)
                          08: Won NC (Notre Dame)
                          09: Did not make tourney
                          10: Won NC (Wisconsin)

13 years, 3 championships, 7 national final appearances, 9 FF appearances. In this span they also have 7 Hockey East tournament titles (not including the 2000 final and the Mike Mottau tripping incident.. we're not still ticked about that )
                          A lot easier to do when your team is in an easy Eastern conference, and you always get easier and hometown eastern regionals. It isn't like BC has to go through a regional of death every year, or anything.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by JMSF#1 View Post
                            That's like saying Jimmy Johnson is the greatest college football coach.
                            Ok, I'll come out and say that Bob Johnson and Herb Brooks were the 2 best NCAA hockey coaches IMO. They did what Jerry York has done in much less time in the NCAA's (especially Brooks). And that would be my main point here.

I'll give him props for the last 10-12 years. It's been an incredible run but the bottom line to me is prior to that Lucia had a run, Gwoz had a run, Berenson and Parker had runs, so I'm not ready to anoint York as a top 5 coach ever. 37 years is a long time coaching, and 4 titles is quite an accomplishment, especially IMO, the one at Bowling Green.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

It's not about York just winning the national title as this isn't his first. This is his 4th. Honest question, did any of the coaches who won four or more win them at two different schools? Add in that York is most likely going to pass Ron Mason and he absolutely is at the very least top five ever in college hockey. Longevity counts. You can only go by what someone has done, not what they might have done if they stayed longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                A lot easier to do when your team is in an easy Eastern conference, and you always get easier and hometown eastern regionals. It isn't like BC has to go through a regional of death every year, or anything.
                                Not sure if you actually believe this, but BC also advanced to the '99 and '00 Frozen Fours by beating:

Northern Michigan
                                North Dakota (#1 team in the nation)

Michigan State
                                Wisconsin (#1 team in the nation)

Those regionals were both at western sites.

Going back to 1998, BC is 12-2 against the CCHA and 9-3 against the WCHA for a record of 21-5 against the big bad west.

Comment

Working...
                                X