Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    Isn't that the press box side behind the play? Near where the zamboni comes out today? Sure looks like it to me.
    Sorry, Onion Man, for belaboring the point, but I don't think the photo shows the press box side at Meehan. The photo appears to have been taken during warm-ups (probably a 2-on-1 drill). At home Brown always warms up in the west end of the rink, not in the east end of the rink, where the zamboni room is. Thus, the stands that we see in photo would have to be in the north end. The press box side is in the south end of the rink.

I think Bruno's guess (Boston Arena) is the most reasonable so far. As I mentioned before, the corners in the photo appear much tighter than at Meehan. The old Boston Arena had very tight corners.
    Last edited by Euler18; 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM. Reason: correct a mistake

Comment

Originally posted by bruno View Post
      What year did the ECAC visiting teams switch from wearing white to their school colors? I'm pretty sure it was in the 70's, and if white sweaters were still being worn by road teams in 1974-75, that would open up a whole new avenue of inquiry in our attempt to identify the site at which this picture was taken.

I vote for the Boston Arena when Brown played Northeastern on 2/12/75. Any contrary opinions?
      Were the 4 playersw Euler identified paying at thay time? BTW, the auction is over for the photo. I never checked to see if there wwere any bids. Might be worthy of Leno!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
        Were the 4 playersw Euler identified paying at thay time?
        Yes, Mike H. Mike Flanagan wore 19 in 1974-75, his sophomore season. In the 1975-76 season Mike Flanagan took Dave Stevenson's number 14, after Stevenson graduated. I'm 100% sure the goalie is sophomore Kevin McCabe. I'm 99.9% sure the other player is sophomore defenseman Jim Lundquist, who wore number 6 throughout his career.

The only possible combination of these sophomores with David Given was in Given's senior year, 1974-75. Freshmen didn't start playing varsity hockey in the Ivy league until the 1975-76 season: Jim Bennet (15), Dave Roberts (8), Mike Laycock (30), Mike Mastrullo (2) and Ken Shepherd (7).
        Last edited by Euler18; 07-12-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

With the hosts cities for the future Frozen Fours and regionals being announced recently, I am wondering if Brown and PC have ever worked together with the City and the Dunk to host the regionals. I realize that the rink is too small for a FF but it certainly is big enough for a regional. Certainly, if Worcester, Bridgeport and Manchester can land a regional, Providence should likewise be able.

Comment

The press release announcing Brown's freshmen class has been posted. As others have said before on this site, the class looks good. I like Siers, presuming the coaching staff will keep him under control

http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...nter-decorator
            What are your insights on Siers and how his game will translate to the ECAC if you've seen him live? I went to youtube and saw some of the fight videos - but in nearly 100 games in the USHL he had only 20pts and 250 minutes in the box.

Comment

With the hosts cities for the future Frozen Fours and regionals being announced recently, I am wondering if Brown and PC have ever worked together with the City and the Dunk to host the regionals. I realize that the rink is too small for a FF but it certainly is big enough for a regional. Certainly, if Worcester, Bridgeport and Manchester can land a regional, Providence should likewise be able.
              Well, they held the Frozen Four in Providence a few years back. As I recall, it was BC and North Dakota. Forget who won; they played in back-to-back title games and traded championships. Then they had the regionals there a couple years later, but they haven't been back since. I would think with the revamping of the Dunk (it's really wonderful now; I went to a Friars basketball game last year and was seriously impressed with how they classed the place up), as well as the revival of downtown Providence and the proximity to Boston and other college hockey hotspots along the East Coast., that we should see it back here within the next decade. Hopefully sooner rather than later. And hopefully Brown is participating in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
                What are your insights on Siers and how his game will translate to the ECAC if you've seen him live? I went to youtube and saw some of the fight videos - but in nearly 100 games in the USHL he had only 20pts and 250 minutes in the box.
                First, I should have put a smile at the end of the post. From his PIM Siers will bring in my opinion toughness/physicality that was helping Bruno in the latter part of last season. Clearly, his numbers suggest he has sometimes played out of control but the current coaching staff, based on what it did with last lear's returning players, wll find a way to do it. Interestingly, Siers' stats are relatively comparable, if I am reading them right, to Aaron Volpatti's 2006 numbers.

Comment

From his PIM Siers will bring in my opinion toughness/physicality that was helping Bruno in the latter part of last season. Clearly, his numbers suggest he has sometimes played out of control but the current coaching staff, based on what it did with last lear's returning players, wll find a way to do it.
                  I hope that the Athletic Department won't get upset with me for stating that I'm pretty sure Siers will play and will contribute. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there were seven freshmen in the opening night lineup.

I have absolutely no doubt that the coaching staff will handle Siers properly. Brendan is excellent at recognizing the kind of specific treatment each player needs. I anticipate that it won't be long before people will start saying that Brendan is a great coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                    I anticipate that it won't be long before people will start saying that Brendan is a great coach.
                    People don't say that already? People are very ignorant, then.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      Well, they held the Frozen Four in Providence a few years back. As I recall, it was BC and North Dakota. Forget who won; they played in back-to-back title games and traded championships. Then they had the regionals there a couple years later, but they haven't been back since. I would think with the revamping of the Dunk (it's really wonderful now; I went to a Friars basketball game last year and was seriously impressed with how they classed the place up), as well as the revival of downtown Providence and the proximity to Boston and other college hockey hotspots along the East Coast., that we should see it back here within the next decade. Hopefully sooner rather than later. And hopefully Brown is participating in it.
                      There is no reason why the Dunk can't host a Regional. I think most fans across the nation would rather go to Providence then a dump such as Worcester that seems to have a stranglehold on the regionals. Why can't Brown host a regional at the Dunk?
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

... Clearly, his numbers suggest he has sometimes played out of control...
                        Ya think ?? 249 PIM in two seasons in the USHL?

Is this were we get to talk about the crackdown on hitting from behind and contact to the head?

C'mon guys, I'm the first to credit Whittet for what he's done at Brown, but we all know the Siers kid is there for one reason, and it ain't stick handling...at least not with the puck

For the record, Volpatti had 279PIM in 137 BCHL games. Siers had 249 PIM in 93 USHL games.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Probably a good idea for the coach to replace some of the toughness that is lost with Volpatti graduating. If Siers can hit 3/4s as hard as Volpatti, that will be a good start and will ensure that our opponents keep their heads up. Physical play is part of the game, and needs to be used appropriately.

That has to be balanced with the inevitable penalties. We probably took to many penalties last year, and I am sure the coaches will be looking for some improvement there. Noting we were not the most penalized team in conference play, as that title went to RPI (not surprising....).

With this being the first year of freshman recruited by Whittet, I am sure they should see a lot of ice, as he will have recruited them to fit into his game plan. I wouldn't be surprised though if there aren't some competitions for ice time given the number of forwards on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            Ya think ?? 249 PIM in two seasons in the USHL?

Is this were we get to talk about the crackdown on hitting from behind and contact to the head?

C'mon guys, I'm the first to credit Whittet for what he's done at Brown, but we all know the Siers kid is there for one reason, and it ain't stick handling...at least not with the puck

For the record, Volpatti had 279PIM in 137 BCHL games. Siers had 249 PIM in 93 USHL games.
                            Volpatti always played tough, but he was never dirty, save for the few instances when he was involved in a skirmish . He never tried to injure anyone, and I would assume that the Siers kid is of the same mold, or else Whittet wouldn't have him on his team. Brendan isn't the sort of coach who wants to win at all costs, like Coach Cal at Kentucky. He'd probably rather lose the right way than cheat and win, so I don't think Siers is going to present many problems. If he does, Brendan will have it sorted out by the time the season starts.

Comment

Certainly Siers will play the role of agitator, a role he seems to have been auditioning for for some time...I guess I was surprised that a forward with so little offensive production would take a roster spot at the D1 level. On the blue line I can see it, but not so much up front. His rep is that of a hustle kid on the ice and quality kid off the ice...4.0 GPA in H.S.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I received an email yesterday from the BHA regarding the untimely death of John Jacks '87. My computer is giving me fits trying to post it to this post. Hopefully someone from the BHA with better tech skills can do it
                                Last edited by Mike Hutter; 08-07-2010, 06:30 PM. Reason: posted link would not work

Comment

Working...
                                X