PDA

View Full Version : Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Big Papa
08-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Two-time All-America and Hobey Baker finalist Yann Danis spent four great years at Brown, graduated, and then went pro.

Yann Danis was a great player to watch.

Euler18
08-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Besides, Yann was humble and team-oriented. And so were his French-speaking parents, who seldom talked about Yann; it was always the team. Only once, after a game at Lowell, when Yann was absolutely magnificient, did I see them gloat slightly. I turned to Yves Danis (Yann's father) and said "Incroyable," to which he replied "Yann est le meilleur!". That was it. Of course, Yves Danis was right: Yann is the best goaltender to have played at Brown and one of the best ever in the ECAC.

nhldraftvideo
08-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow. Anyone else think Major Junior will be a major problem for Brown with this kid? I dont trust any hockey player from Quebec who can play at all to come to the US to play College hockey.

i don't think so. his right are not owned by anyone in the qmjhl (was passed over in the 2009 & 2010 qmjhl midjet draft wich tell you is serious about going ncaa )

plus, doesn't appear to be a top nhl draft prospects (he's eligible in this year draft)

Wicked Slappaahs
08-12-2010, 05:09 PM
... I dont trust any hockey player from Quebec who can play at all to come to the US to play College hockey.

Marty St. Louis - UVM
Joey Juneau - RPI
Sasha Pokulok - Cornell
Nik Pokulok - Clarkson
Mario Valerie-Trabucco - Union
Alex Angers-Goulet - RPI
Francois Brisbois - Colgate
Nick Tremblay - Clarkson
Nick & Julien Cayer - Clarkson

I could go on...

kdiff77
08-15-2010, 04:21 PM

He single-handedly comprised our defense for 3 and a half years. During that time, our offense scored with great regularity, but if it weren't for Yann Danis, we still would have stunk because we unquestionably had the worst defensive players in the league.

Let's hope Clemente can transcend his average regular season play and turn into the next Danis this season!

Onion Man
08-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Marty St. Louis - UVM
Joey Juneau - RPI
Sasha Pokulok - Cornell
Nik Pokulok - Clarkson
Mario Valerie-Trabucco - Union
Alex Angers-Goulet - RPI
Francois Brisbois - Colgate
Nick Tremblay - Clarkson
Nick & Julien Cayer - Clarkson

I could go on...

You could also make a list of those from Quebec who committed to US colleges only to go to major junior at the end. The odds of a Quebec player decommitting to a US college has to be much higher than any other area. Taking any Canadian player is high risk/high reward.

Wicked Slappaahs
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
You could also make a list of those from Quebec who committed to US colleges only to go to major junior at the end. The odds of a Quebec player decommitting to a US college has to be much higher than any other area. Taking any Canadian player is high risk/high reward.

I think the larger issue for ECAC teams is not QBC kids leaving for a paycheck, but rather whether or not the francophone kid can handle ECAC college workloads, given the obvious language hurdles. I'm sure that is far larger concern for league coaches then whether or not a kid will jump.

Onion Man
08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
I think the larger issue for ECAC teams is not QBC kids leaving for a paycheck, but rather whether or not the francophone kid can handle ECAC college workloads, given the obvious language hurdles. I'm sure that is far larger concern for league coaches then whether or not a kid will jump.

True, but the better Canadian kids are going to play MJ hockey. Reminds of when an NBA team drafts a Euro. You 'hope' they show up, but you never know.

Mike Hutter
08-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Wicked: I remember hearing somewhere that Juneau arrived at RPI knowing little or no English but through a lot of work overcame that situation and became a stellar student in the engineering department. No gut courses. Is that true?

burgie12
08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Wicked: I remember hearing somewhere that Juneau arrived at RPI knowing little or no English but through a lot of work overcame that situation and became a stellar student in the engineering department. No gut courses. Is that true?
Yes it is. If I remember the story correctly, he graduated from RPI with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering in 3 years while coming in as a francophone who knew very little English.

kdiff77
08-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Yes it is. If I remember the story correctly, he graduated from RPI with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering in 3 years while coming in as a francophone who knew very little English.

Now that's impressive! Too bad not every kid from Quebec is like that.

FlagDUDE08
08-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Tack on a 4.0 GPA to that. Took some graduate courses his senior year before playing with the NHL.

ADK11
08-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Now that's impressive! Too bad not every kid from Quebec is like that.Well, Union's Stephane Boileau has like a 3.95 GPA and almost left after his junior year to go to med school. And from what I understand, English was not his first language either. Not that every Quebecois is this smart, but there is certainly no lack of them either. As Wicked said, I think the language and cultural differences are what keep many of them from going south of the border.

And while there isn't a language thing, much the same can be said for kids from the Maritimes. It is a totally different small-town lifestyle up there and very few of their hockey players venture down to the States.

Wicked Slappaahs
08-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Yes all true...and he's admitted to failing the first two tests he ever took at RPI because of his poor english.

Big Papa
08-18-2010, 11:50 AM
True, but the better Canadian kids are going to play MJ hockey. Reminds of when an NBA team drafts a Euro. You 'hope' they show up, but you never know.

There are a lot of top Canadian players coming into the NCAA hockey programs that passed on Major Junior. Just look at those kids drafted in past NHL drafts or take this year for example. The players below could have played in the OHL, QMJHL or WHL but have chosen the NCAA route:

3 77 DAL ALEXANDER GUPTILL LW CCHL ORANGEVILLE
4 92 FLA SAM BRITTAIN G AJHL CANMORE
4 93 FLA BENJAMIN GALLACHER D AJHL CAMROSE
4 113 MTL MARK MACMILLAN F BCHL ALBERNI VALLEY
5 123 FLA ZACH HYMAN C CCHL HAMILTON
5 136 SJS ISAAC MACLEOD D BCHL PENTICTON
6 156 TBL BRENDAN O\'DONNELL C MJHL WINNIPEG SOUTH
7 199 ATL PETER STOYKEWYCH D MJHL WINNIPEG SOUTH
7 202 EDM KELLEN JONES F BCHL VERNON

Top Canadian players help the NCAA programs and we all benefit.;)

Euler18
08-19-2010, 08:59 AM
I appreciate the discussion of Joe Juneau's impressive career, but to return the conversation to Brown hockey, it's worth remembering that in his senior year goaltender Yann Danis had a trifecta of sorts, as he was named First Team All-America, Academic All-America and Hobey Baker finalist. His English was quite polished by the time he graduated from Brown.

Big Papa
08-19-2010, 01:43 PM
I appreciate the discussion of Joe Juneau's impressive career, but to return the conversation to Brown hockey, it's worth remembering that in his senior year goaltender Yann Danis had a trifecta of sorts, as he was named First Team All-America, Academic All-America and Hobey Baker finalist. His English was quite polished by the time he graduated from Brown.

I agree hard to find quality kids and players like Yann Danis. A real stand up kid!

Wicked Slappaahs
08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
There are a lot of top Canadian players coming into the NCAA hockey programs that passed on Major Junior. Just look at those kids drafted in past NHL drafts or take this year for example. The players below could have played in the OHL, QMJHL or WHL but have chosen the NCAA route:

3 77 DAL ALEXANDER GUPTILL LW CCHL ORANGEVILLE
4 92 FLA SAM BRITTAIN G AJHL CANMORE
4 93 FLA BENJAMIN GALLACHER D AJHL CAMROSE
4 113 MTL MARK MACMILLAN F BCHL ALBERNI VALLEY
5 123 FLA ZACH HYMAN C CCHL HAMILTON
5 136 SJS ISAAC MACLEOD D BCHL PENTICTON
6 156 TBL BRENDAN O\'DONNELL C MJHL WINNIPEG SOUTH
7 199 ATL PETER STOYKEWYCH D MJHL WINNIPEG SOUTH
7 202 EDM KELLEN JONES F BCHL VERNON

Top Canadian players help the NCAA programs and we all benefit.;)

This is true, but we were discussing Quebec kids, not all Canadiens.

Big Papa
08-20-2010, 05:42 PM
This is true, but we were discussing Quebec kids, not all Canadiens.

ya not too many in our league i think most go to the Q cuz of the midget affiliations there with major junior. There are a lot of good kids in BC Alberta and Ontario from what I have seen over the years

Onion Man
08-20-2010, 06:38 PM
ya not too many in our league i think most go to the Q cuz of the midget affiliations there with major junior. There are a lot of good kids in BC Alberta and Ontario from what I have seen over the years

I just dont trust kids from the Q. Im always afraid they'll use a school like Brown to better their position with their QMJHL team. I agree Danis was the man. Great goalie and a great kid. He'll go far in no matter what he ends up doing in life.