Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    I noticed on the Brown Athletics website that Digt Murphy was named by USA Hockey as the head coach of the Under-22 women's team. In light of the women's team record over the past few years and the criticism of her coaching (not mine) expressed on USCHO I was surprised.
    I also was surprised by Digit's selection. The USCHO women's hockey board has some pithy comments about it.

Digit stood out when women's college hockey was still young and growing. Brown, with the oldest US women's team in the country, was well positioned to recruit the early crop of talented players at a time when there wasn't a lot of competition for them, especially in the Ivies. Digit's record benefited from the Karen Kings, Becky Kellars, Tara Mounseys, Ali Brewers, Karen Emmas, Lisa Bishops, Mardie Corcorans, et al who came to play at Meehan in the 1980s and 1990s.

Once competition for the best women players increased nationwide as more and more well-funded college programs sprang up, Digit's star began to fade. Some players on her recent Brown teams are fans; others are unhappy and have even left the program. It will be most interesting to see the reviews of her coaching the US U-22 squad this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
      I also was surprised by Digit's selection. The USCHO women's hockey board has some pithy comments about it.

Digit stood out when women's college hockey was still young and growing. Brown, with the oldest US women's team in the country, was well positioned to recruit the early crop of talented players at a time when there wasn't a lot of competition for them, especially in the Ivies. Digit's record benefited from the Katie Kings, Becky Kellars, Tara Mounseys, Ali Brewers, Karen Emmas, Lisa Bishops, Mardie Corcorans, et al who came to play at Meehan in the 1980s and 1990s.

Once competition for the best women players increased nationwide as more and more well-funded college programs sprang up, Digit's star began to fade. Some players on her recent Brown teams are fans; others are unhappy and have even left the program. It will be most interesting to see the reviews of her coaching the US U-22 squad this year.
      FYP.

Comment

I highly recommend Anne Hinman Diffily''s article on the resurgence of the Brown men's hockey team, which appeared in the latest issue of the Brown Alumni Monthly. Here's the link:

http://www.brownalumnimagazine.com/c.../view/2547/30/

Comment

Euler:

Received BAM today. There is mention in there that Steve King has a new title which suggests a promotion. Is he still going to head the BSF? I hope he stays with BSF as well as he is a real class act.

Comment

Euler:

Received BAM today. There is mention in there that Steve King has a new title which suggests a promotion. Is he still going to head the BSF? I hope he stays with BSF as well as he is a real class act.
            Mike: Steve King has been appointed the new Vice-President for University Advancement (what used to be called "development"), replacing Ron Vanden Dorpel, who's leaving Brown. In other words, Steve will direct Brown's fundraising efforts. This is indeed a well-deserved promotion for Steve, who's served Brown with distinction as head of the Sports Foundation. He now becomes a member of President Simmons' Cabinet.

A couple of weeks ago, after telling Steve how proud I was of him -- I've known the guy since he was nineteen years old -- I added, jokingly, that I was horrified he would now become a member of the Faculty! (though a non-voting member...). He replied with something like "how did that happen?" Good man. Great sense of humor. Deep love for Brown.

I don't know for sure that there'll be a search for a new head of the Sports Foundation though I assume that would be the case. I can't see one person doing two very time-consuming jobs.

Comment

I came across the story below with its comments today while getting info on the DI lax finals. Although not hockey, the story/comments relates to Brown athletics in general and some problems Brown has in recruiting head-to-head with other Ivies. Hopefully, Brown does not lose another great coach.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/...ate-penn-state

Comment

http://www.browndailyherald.com/the-...rior-1.2270373

Nice article in the BDH about Jeremy Russell '11.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  FYP.
                  Muchas gracias.

Comment

Hockey players as Brown administrators

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                    I don't know for sure that there'll be a search for a new head of the Sports Foundation though I assume that would be the case.
                    Yes, an ad for the Sports Foundation job has been posted on Brown's website.

It's great to have a former Brown hockey player (Steve King) in such a high position in the university's administration.

What other Brown hockey alumni went on to notable jobs (not including coaching) at their alma mater?

• "Doc" Crane '31 was Brown's sports medicine director/head trainer and invented an early version of the goalie mask.
                    • Wes Moulton (class of early 30s) was director of phys ed at Brown.
                    • Anne Hinman '73 was editor of the BAM in the 1990s.

There must be more. I'm racking my brain. Anyone?

Comment

Although not hockey, the story/comments relates to Brown athletics in general and some problems Brown has in recruiting head-to-head with other Ivies. Hopefully, Brown does not lose another great coach.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/...ate-penn-state
                      Interesting. And this comment especially so:

"Why would the AD, Mike Goldberger, not do everything he can to retain Lars for having turned around on a dime the sad state of the men's lacrosse program in 2006? Is the greater problem the deteriorating athletic program across the board at Brown?"

Why, indeed? Goldberger seems like a nice guy but not an outspoken advocate in University Hall for Brown sports.

That being said, some programs have done well -- football, lacrosse, perhaps men's hockey as it turns around. But it's an uphill struggle from what I've observed. We might have to wait for a new president.

Comment

Re: Hockey players as Brown administrators

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                        What other Brown hockey alumni [besides Steve King] went on to notable jobs (not including coaching) at their alma mater?

• "Doc" Crane '31 was Brown's sports medicine director/head trainer and invented an early version of the goalie mask.
                        • Wes Moulton (class of early 30s) was director of phys ed at Brown.
                        • Anne Hinman '73 was editor of the BAM in the 1990s.

There must be more. I'm racking my brain. Anyone?
                        Bob Kenneally'90 is Associate Director of Athletics at Brown.

Comment

Hope this commitment mentioned by Coach Tiffany extends to Hockey!

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2010/06/...ews-for-b.html

Comment

Hope this commitment mentioned by Coach Tiffany extends to Hockey!

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2010/06/...ews-for-b.html
                            Mike: I can assure you that the Brown athletic administration is committed to hockey. I can also assure you that like Lars Tiffany in lacrosse, Brendan Whittet has a strong affection for Brown and believes that he can be successful at his Alma Mater.

What I'd like to see is a stronger commitment to the program by hockey alumni, particularly by the younger generation, on a level similar to what's the case in football and lacrosse. We can't expect this commitment to be automatic as as many recent players didn't have a good experience with the hockey program even though most of them do love the university. Nevertheless, I have confidence that Brendan will succeed in this respect as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                              Mike: I can assure you that the Brown athletic administration is committed to hockey. I can also assure you that like Lars Tiffany in lacrosse, Brendan Whittet has a strong affection for Brown and believes that he can be successful at his Alma Mater.

What I'd like to see is a stronger commitment to the program by hockey alumni, particularly by the younger generation, on a level similar to what's the case in football and lacrosse. We can't expect this commitment to be automatic as as many recent players didn't have a good experience with the hockey program even though most of them do love the university. Nevertheless, I have confidence that Brendan will succeed in this respect as well.
                              I have no doubt about the commitment of Brendan and his staff. I am just hoping that the administration does not bail on him and the program for another sport.

BTW your comment about the commitment of alum players in football and lacrosse got me thinking about my recollection of foorball and lacrosse games that I have attended on the road. You are absolutely right. Last year at the Hopkins NCAA game there were literally dozens of former players at the game, someting that I have seen at Cornell and UMass. It was also good to see some former Brown hockey players fromthe early 90's in Albany at the ECAC. As you say, Brendan's enthusiasm and his players' reaction to it bodes well for the future when they are alums.

Comment

Euler18 - Did I miss it or has the Brown Hockey All Academic list yet to be posted for the year just completed?

Comment

Working...
                                X