X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    who has forgotten more than you will ever know
    I'm guessing you forget a lot of things about life. My guess is you drank too much of that dirty Marshfield water back in the day while filling up David Warsofsky's water bottles for him and asking him for autographs. Psycho.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

They should screen for moronity before allowing people to become posters on USCHO. Some people are just stupid and only take away from the discussion at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by canadianhockeyguy View Post
        I agree with you, but there are a couple of additional factors that often come into play. Obviously, a scholarship changes the dynamic for many players, especially for those who are on the bubble when it comes to receiving financial aid. Clearly this is true for all Ivies, not just Brown. But it is becoming increasingly more difficult for the rest of the Ivy's to compete (across sports) for recruits in head-to-head battles with Harvard, Yale and Princeton because of the changes in their financial aid policies the last couple of years.
        This is a very sensible post. There's indeed quite a bit of concern that it may become increasingly more difficult for schools like Brown and Dartmouth to approach, not to mention match, the financial aid packages offered by Harvard, Princeton and Yale. Even upper middle class families qualify for aid under the Harvard, Princeton and Yale programs. Good for the families; good for the three universities; not good, in the long run, for the overall competitiveness of Ivy League sports.

Fortunately Harvard, Princeton and Yale can only recruit a certain number of student athletes in any given sport, and their coaches have made many recruiting mistakes over the years. Furthermore, good coaching definitely comes into play and success often depends on intangibles such as character, leadership and chemistry. After all, it was Brown, not Harvard, Princeton or Yale, that joined perennial powerhouse Cornell in the ECAC Final Four this year.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
          They should screen for moronity before allowing people to become posters on USCHO. Some people are just stupid and only take away from the discussion at hand.
          Just make it simple and Block Rhode Island

Comment

There is more to choice of school than a big name or reputation. Tough to argue that any of the Ivies don't offer exceptional opportunities to those who can gain admission.
            In the matter of recruiting, take into account fit for the student/athlete. Also, look at the direction of the program, the quality of the staff and how the player fits into that scheme.
            Tough to say no to Harvard or Yale, but it happens. And with the current staff and the enthusiasm for the program on the rise, expect it to happen more and more.

Comment

Make no mistake about it. Any kid would be thrilled to go to Brown.

They have a great new coaching staff and their asst Keefe is out there beating the trails hard, and having success. They will only get better over the next 3 or 4 years and had a great string on the recruiting side. Several players they picked up were misses by Hockey East/Harvard.

They are a solid program with a real nice group coming in. Borge, Hourihan, Goldberg, Quick and a few others are high end skilled players with great attitudes and work ethic.

Comment

Just make it simple and Block Rhode Island
                Why did you capitalize the "b" in "block?"

Also, cute rep you left me, it was real difficult to figure out that it was from you, since you left the same message on this thread at approximately the same time.

Stand-up guy.

Comment

I noticed on the Brown Athletics website that Digt Murphy was named by USA Hockey as the head coach of the Under-22 women's team. In light of the women's team record over the past few years and the criticism of her coaching (not mine) expressed on USCHO I was surprised.

Comment

Why did you capitalize the "b" in "block?"

Also, cute rep you left me, it was real difficult to figure out that it was from you, since you left the same message on this thread at approximately the same time.

Stand-up guy.
                    Based upon your previous comments, you sound like a real winner as well. I meant for you to know.

Comment

They are a solid program with a real nice group coming in. Borge, Hourihan, Goldberg, Quick and a few others are high end skilled players with great attitudes and work ethic.
                      I knew this kid would be good ever since he played goalie in the Mighty Ducks movies.

Comment

Based upon your previous comments, you sound like a real winner as well. I meant for you to know.
                        Oh boy. This insult contest could go on forever; let's call it quits while we're both behind. You know, be adult and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                          I knew this kid would be good ever since he played goalie in the Mighty Ducks movies.
                          Definitely a nice pickup, plus at 32, he'll have wayyyyy more experience
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            Definitely a nice pickup, plus at 32, he'll have wayyyyy more experience
                            Bombay did wonders for him. Tying him to the net so he wouldn't be afraid of the puck was brilliant. I think he could be the difference this year.

Comment

Oh boy. This insult contest could go on forever; let's call it quits while we're both behind. You know, be adult and whatnot.
                              Fair enough... Go Brown..

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                                Bombay did wonders for him. Tying him to the net so he wouldn't be afraid of the puck was brilliant. I think he could be the difference this year.
                                Plus he's a double threat, as he switched over to D in Juniors. Teams won't know how to handle that. Don't expect Brown to surrender much more than a goal per game.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X