Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    Brown has several kids going there who would have killed to go to Providence but were not offered.
    This is at best hearsay. Brown admissions doesn't generally overlap with Providence College. The two schools are looking for different types of kids, and, besides, Providence College is considerably more flexible with the admission of athletes than Brown can be.

I taught at Providence College for six years at the beginning of my career and still have several friends there. It's a good school, well run and with a faculty that has vastly improved since the days when professors were mainly alumni of the college, some without a doctorate. You can get a solid education at Providence College, on a beautiful campus and as a member of a tight-knit community. Nevertheless, there's little comparison between the opportunities, academic and otherwise, open to undergraduates at Providence College and Brown. We're talking about apples and oranges. Brown is looking for students and families who recognize the added value of a Brown education.

Comment

Both Borge and Hourihan for example, 2 incoming freshmen visited PC, wanted to go there and were not offered. Both ended up at Brown but would have went to PC if offered

2 Great kids and players that could have played hockey east and wanted to. great pick ups by Brown, BUT, both tried to go to PC and it didnt work out.

Comment

It all depends on what your focus is- academics or athletics. If you want a more academically challenging school and get into both Brown and PC, you will obviously choose Brown. However, if you want to play in a better conference and thus garner more national attention (including several televised games a year on NESN and Cox Sports), then the obvious choice is PC. The schools are both somewhat similar in size, proximity to downtown, and campus feel (built right into the surrounding neighborhoods). Really, the only choice you'd have to make is where you feel more at home and what interests you more.

Comment

Both Borge and Hourihan for example, 2 incoming freshmen visited PC, wanted to go there and were not offered. Both ended up at Brown but would have went to PC if offered

2 Great kids and players that could have played hockey east and wanted to. great pick ups by Brown, BUT, both tried to go to PC and it didnt work out.
          You'd have to be a moron to say no to Brown for Providence. PC is a bottom-rung Hockey East program. Brown is a bottom-run ECAC program, but the difference in academics is as vast as the grand canyon. I can live with losing a kid to BC or BU (good academics and top flight NHL-type programs), but not Providence.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Well they do. In the past 5-10 years, AKA the Grillo run, players looked at it as borderline club hockey. After last year and with the new staff, that might not be the case going forward.

You can go on Heisneberg and look at the kids on board, most did so only after not getting a shot anywhere else. There are exceptions but it is reality. PC also happens to be one of the top academic schools in hockey east, we are not talking Maine there. Brown is also not Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Dartmouth, not even close.

Many kids want to play hockey east. If smart, will do so and after playing go to a good grad school as undergrad is not going to get you much anyways.
            Last edited by Hokydad; 05-17-2010, 07:45 AM.

Comment

PC also happens to be one of the top academic schools in hockey east, we are not talking Maine there. Brown is also not Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Dartmouth, not even close.
              Thanks, Hokydad, for your comparative analysis of the academic excellence not only of the Hockey East colleges but especially of the Ivy League universities. I knew about your deep knowledge of college hockey recruiting but I was previously unaware of your expertise regarding academics. I hope NEASC will get in touch with you as the association proceeds with the reaccreditation of New England colleges and universities. NEASC has recently issued a glowing report about Brown. The association obviously didn't have access to the information you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                I've promised the Brown Athletic Department that I won't get into details about recruiting until the kids matriculate, so for now I'll just say that the future looks bright.
                This is an odd statement. It appears that some members of the Athletic Department don't like your posts... I find them informative, supportive and passionate. I'm not sure where you've crossed the line. Information about recruiting is all over the Internet and local newspapers.

The Athletic Department shouldn't be in the business of telling fans what they may or may not post. I hope they're not reading the Fan Forum during regular business hours, which might be a violation of their duties as Brown employees. Obviously they have too much time in their hands! I wish they'd put their time to more efficient uses, such as, for example, finding ways to better support the varsity teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
                  Thanks, Hokydad, for your comparative analysis of the academic excellence not only of the Hockey East colleges but especially of the Ivy League universities. I knew about your deep knowledge of college hockey recruiting but I was previously unaware of your expertise regarding academics. I hope NEASC will get in touch with you as the association proceeds with the reaccreditation of New England colleges and universities. NEASC has recently issued a glowing report about Brown. The association obviously didn't have access to the information you have.
                  And I am sure they threw Harvard, Princeton, Yale and Dartmouth under the bus. Very few if any pick Brown over those 4, unless they have family history, like a Bobby Farnham.

Comment

And I am sure they threw Harvard, Princeton, Yale and Dartmouth under the bus. Very few if any pick Brown over those 4, unless they have family history, like a Bobby Farnham.
                    I have quick question for you.

Can you post again later on today? I needed a good laugh to pick me up this morning and your last few posts have really hit the spot.

In fact I have a feeling I'm going to need another good pick-me-up right around 4:30 PM. So if you could work another post in after lunch time that would be greatly appreciated. If you could find time in your busy schedule to squeeze out a second post that would be even better.

If you do well this afternoon I might have to draw up a contract for you to e-mail me personally every day. I hope this doesn't put too much pressure on you to produce, but I have a feeling you'll come through brilliantly.

Comment

Just hang around a mirror and you will be all set

Comment

Originally posted by KFBS View Post
                        I have quick question for you.

Can you post again later on today? I needed a good laugh to pick me up this morning and your last few posts have really hit the spot.

In fact I have a feeling I'm going to need another good pick-me-up right around 4:30 PM. So if you could work another post in after lunch time that would be greatly appreciated. If you could find time in your busy schedule to squeeze out a second post that would be even better.

If you do well this afternoon I might have to draw up a contract for you to e-mail me personally every day. I hope this doesn't put too much pressure on you to produce, but I have a feeling you'll come through brilliantly.
                        LOL.

Comment

Just hang around a mirror and you will be all set
                          Come on. You can do better than this.

Perhaps my deadline was a little aggressive. I mean it's not like the Pope told Michelangelo to have the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel finished by 4:30PM Monday.

My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by KFBS View Post
                            Come on. You can do better than this.

Perhaps my deadline was a little aggressive. I mean it's not like the Pope told Michelangelo to have the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel finished by 4:30PM Monday.

My bad.
                            I wouldn't expect much out of this Hokydad fool, KF. You're dealing with a lost cause.
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

who has forgotten more than you will ever know

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                                You'd have to be a moron to say no to Brown for Providence. PC is a bottom-rung Hockey East program. Brown is a bottom-run ECAC program, but the difference in academics is as vast as the grand canyon. I can live with losing a kid to BC or BU (good academics and top flight NHL-type programs), but not Providence.
                                I agree with you, but there are a couple of additional factors that often come into play. Obviously, a scholarship changes the dynamic for many players, especially for those who are on the bubble when it comes to receiving financial aid. Clearly this is true for all Ivies, not just Brown. But it is becoming increasingly more difficult for the rest of the Ivy's to compete (across sports) for recruits in head-to-head battles with Harvard, Yale and Princeton because of the changes in their financial aid policies the last couple of years. They still can go head to head for a player from a very wealthy family who won't receive aid at either school, but otherwise it's becoming inconceivable that a family would pay significantly more to send their son to Brown if they have an offer from a place like Harvard. To some extend Brown, Dartmouth, and, certainly, Cornell can compete because of greater Academic Index flexibility than those places, but the recruiting road is getting tougher because of these new aid policies.

Comment

Working...
                                X